Why are they like this?

Why are they like this?

Attached: bb8.jpg (680x723, 43.11K)

because it has "steel" in the name and it makes them feel masculine

>get up before the sun, oats required

Well fuck, now I just want some oatmeal.

Well which are better?

Oats suck anyways
Where my gritchads at

Attached: Charlestons_Own_Grits_white_1lb.jpg (2048x1804, 243.26K)

Clearly straight oats because soijack ignores them and not steel cut because he responds positively to them. Have you ever used nerdchan before? You're supposed to shape your opinion based on this valuable post

Steel cut are usually less processed

But I can’t eat them desu, too chewy

depends. do you eat them raw?
then I would argue it is fine to go for the cut ones.
do you soak them overnight / cook them?
then go for oats.

what is grit? guessing you don't mean tiny bits of rock

It's coarsely ground hominy.
You typically make a porridge out of them same as you do with oats and there's as many ways to do that as you can think of.

Rolled oats are better in every single way unless you literally boil the fuck out of them 45 minutes every day.

is this the same as semolina?

This but actually

It's a women's magazine memefood that has survived into the digital age. I like them, but they cost more than oats, and take longer to make, so I eat oats like I'm someone who's healthy everyday instead of who signs up for bootcamps and buys water infusers once a year.

i really don't fucking understand this shit about the fiber content

If you cook them you are processing them, so you are reducing their fiber, how the fuck does it matter if they're precooked or what

it doesn't make any fucking sense. Same thing I heard a doctor say about fiber and making smoothies, no one's fucking eating veggies and fruit whole, they are chewing them, how the fuck is that any different from cutting them up with a blender (prechewing) and then swallowing them?

This fucks with me so bad, especially considering trying to figure out the glycemic load of these foods

Grits are cornmeal or ground hominy, which is nixtimlized corn (corn soaked in an alkaline solution and then hulled and washed).
It's essentially the same as polenta, though I think they're made with different corn varieties.

>they are chewing them, how the fuck is that any different from cutting them up with a blender (prechewing) and then swallowing them?
Your blender will grind things way, way finer than your teeth ever will. Finer grind = more surface area for your digestive enzymes to work which means you absorb things way faster than you normally would. A smoothie is way closer to drinking juice with a lot of pulp than it is to actually eating a fruit.
There's some evidence that modern white flour can be bad for you for this same reason; it hits your bloodstream so quickly that it's almost like eating sugar.

yes, the logic is sound, until you actually blend stuff up and realize that all the fiber is located in the skin, the skin which does not blend very well. Moreover, soluble fiber is digestible and turns into a goo in your stomach, the other type of fiber is indigestible which means it doesn't matter if it's in one piece or a million pieces, your body can't do anything with it except pass it to your colon.

I'm not talking about refined white flour, in this instance the thing to compare it to would be whole wheat flour.

Lmao

It isn't about the fiber content, its about how much surface area from the plant material is exposed when it enters your stomach and digestive tract. Your teeth won't extract as much juice from the fruit as your blender does and the fruit will also enter your stomach in larger chunks, which take longer to break down because they have a lower relative surface area to be exposed to the digestive process.
It's like trying to make a sugar water solution with coarse brown sugar vs. powdered sugar. The powdered sugar dissolves much faster than the brown sugar due to its higher relative surface area allowing more sugar to interact with the water at any given time.