Should I focus on muscle gain or weight loss?

Couch potatoe here. Trying to change that. Should I just start lifting or focus on losing some weight first with cardio? Will I lose weight lifting or will I end up bloating with both muscle and fat?

Attached: 1245100189.jpg (800x586, 34.29K)

Height/Wight?

Both but you want the weight to go down.
Lift weights+ Cardio.
If you are really fat aim for a loss of 4-5lbs a week.
If you are just slightly overweight aim for 2lbs a week

start with cardio every other day and a light lifting routine on days between by that I mean 1 push compound 1 pull compound 1 leg compound and maybe an accessory 3 sets of each. After a couple months start to evaluate where you want to go with it but for right now just do it. I would probably say start with cutting if you have a gut or floppy man tiddies. If you have visible ribs probably start with surplus.

>174cm / 5'8 feet
>90 kg / 180 lbs

I use metric system so idk If I fucked up the imeprial units

Just slightly obese.
Lose 2lbs a week,you should look ok in about 4 months aka summer.

I had a body like that. I lifted weights, built muscle under my fat and still have yet to cut.

Yeah, you did. 90kg is ~200lbs. I’d know, I used to be that but I’m taller so it wasn’t as noticeable and I was just classed as “overweight” when I did my BMI.
Checking your BMI, in comparison, would put you on the verge of obesity.
Lift weights and do cardio. You’ll turn some of the fat to muscle and will burn some too. But cut down your caloric intake mate.

same here. 5'10", 85 kg. Body doesn't look fat but huge fucking belly.

Lot of beer/alcohol?

Also mate you think you don’t look it but people think you do. Trust me

Occasional whiskey drinker but probably due to working on a chair all day. Barely any movement. Started going to the gym but due my laziness I could barely lose any weight (6 kgs in 3-4 months). How do I lose that stubborn abdominal fat? I know heavier friends with fatter body but their stomach looks fat as fuck.

Cut down your calories. If you’re young you can avoid saggy skin.

I look similar I think, tho with less droopy nips - 5’0 at 170lb.
I read some of the sticky earlier, and ultimately I think you should really dissect exactly what you’re eating + drinking, and focus on both the weights and cardio—since muscle burns more calories, and cardio will help determine whether it’ll be your muscles or fat that will be visible.

Attached: 3FA8F653-2559-401F-ABE2-7CA111064524.jpg (1352x1734, 687.87K)

23 in March. Will try to do that, thank you.

Try? Its not that hard mate just be temperate. If you need to know how many calories you should eat to lose weight just look online, just don’t go below 1000

How do I gain muscle (eat more kcal) while losing fat (eat fewer kcal)? I started lifting a couple of weeks to go but I have >50kg to lose. Do I just eat better and my body will build muscle instead of fat over time?

You can build muscle in a calorie deficit, especially as a beginner

>Lifting burns tons of calories, and lifting weights while dieting will cause you to retain more muscle and lose more fat than just diet and/or cardio. Because the name of the game when it comes to not looking awful is FAT LOSS, not weight loss.

If you're a total beginner and you have a lot of fat to burn you can recomp quite well. But realistically you won't get very muscular doing this. At some point you'll have to focus on just losing fat which will most likely also mean losing some of your new muscle and then you'll have to rebuild it. It kinda sucks but it's arguably better than just losing fat first then building muscle.

Lifting barely burns calories
That said, the added muscle will keep your metabolism high, and if you are very fat and new to training you WILL grow muscle and lose fat in a caloric deficit, as long as it's not too extreme