Kettlebell bros, what's your routine?

Kettlebell bros, what's your routine?

Attached: 1592296681911.jpg (388x500, 47.59K)

It used to be:
- Dynamic warm-up - Pavel Tsatsouline's "SuperJoints"/"Resets"/Rolling with a foam roller
- Move prep - 5x halos with 12 kg
- 5x bridge
- 5x squat with 20 kg or 24 kg
- Swings with 32 kg, 10 swings every minute for 10 minutes
- Get-ups, first set with 16 kg, then three sets with 24 kg, and last set with 16 kg
- Lunges 5x5 each side with 24 kg
- Dead hang 5x30 seconds
(it's one set of lunges on each side, then 30 seconds hang, and alternating like that)

This routine was a result of my progression and was not the routine I started with, despite this being a beginner level still.

Attached: Rossija.jpg (308x481, 31.42K)

looks solid, I've got Pavel's book. How many times would you do this a week?

I did this two times a week under a supervision of trainers that helped me get a good form.
I haven't see a good video anywhere on how to do kettlebell swings, for example. No one explains that it has four phases and how to use your hands and arms for example.

My main focus at the time was swimming though, so this was more of a supplement. It definitely helped. In just two months, my core got a lot stronger and my swimming improved. I've heard from guys that run regularly that it also helped them improve their times.
I can imagine this can also help if you do combat sports - boxing, judo, jiu-jitsu.

From this particular routine, guys that were more into the weightlifting itself either upped the weight, switched to kettlebell presses, or moved to barbell training. There is plenty of ways to continue from that point. Definitely a good basis.

Attached: Cuba_olympic.jpg (563x453, 60.95K)

yeah I train MMA. I'm told to switch my routine to kettlebells and then move on to barbell training (snatch, squats). For chest, I could prob add in something like incline press with dumbbells though.

dead 12x3
calf raise 20x3
squat 16x3
swing 20x3
lunge underpass 20x3
plank row 16x3
figure 8 w/ twist 10x3
oh chest press 10x3
oh overhead press 6x3
all 72lb

Yeah, I do some boxing, but mostly on a recreational basis.
One thing you can also try if you wish to work on your breathing, which is a big part of these sports is:
- Kettlebell swings with 24 kg - every 1 minute for 10 minutes, however many swings you can, but you do each set with a breath hold. You straighten up, exhale fully, hold breath and do swings. Resume breathing only when you lay the kettlebell back and straighten up.

The rationale behind this is that you use hypoxic (less oxygen) and hypercapnic (more carbon oxide) training to improve aerobic capacity.
There is also this good book called Oxygen Advantage that explains this a bit more and gives more explanation.

Attached: USA_box.jpg (570x456, 98.68K)

I've been doing the Simple&Sinister program for a few months now, but U pulled my back doing swings yesterday. Don't know if I'll need to rethink the program a bit.

finally a good thread
what are your breaks? are you doing all sets of same exercises after each other? I think less (big) breaks and more alternating like swing -> squats -> swing -> halo > swing -> lunges -> swing -> etc is far more efficient, with higher rep count also, at least its my approach because it also does a lot cardiowise

I am BJJ purple belt and a year ago I started excessively doing kettlebell, especially swing as the single most beneficial exercise. I was a bit sceptical at first, but my whole core muscle strength is on a different level. I would say a proper well designed kettlebell workout is your biggest ROI that you can get for martial arts

Are kettlebells better than dumbells in some way?

well, try doing a swing with dumbells.

For some exercises yes, and if I was gonna choose to only have one in the house it'd be kettlebells.

I'm currently doing the 10k program (but with a 16kg kb). I'll probably get a 24kg kb soonish and do the same program again just with heavier weights.

Attached: 1534347084962.gif (268x268, 2.6M)

They're different. Swings aren't lifts, there's less time under tension, but better core, conditioning and whole body strength.

>what are your breaks?
So right after the warm-up I go to the movement prep (halos, bridges, squat) with short breaks. The intention of the squat isn't to pump it out quickly or to load too heavy. It's to get the body moving and ready for heavier lifting. Some guys like to get lower in the squat and move from side to side to use it as a sort of stretching as well. For me it's more about doing regular squats and getting up, resting for less than a minute between those sets.
With get-ups I do longer breaks because those are heavier lifts for me.

>I think less (big) breaks and more alternating like swing -> squats -> swing -> halo > swing -> lunges -> swing -> etc is far more efficient
Well, for me the basis for cardio was in the 10 swings every minute for 10 minutes.
I have never tried alternating, so can't comment much on that. Although looking at your sequence, I would take out halos completely. To me, they are more of a preparatory move and don't really fit in with swings + squats.
Other than that, it could be tried out, sure.

>I am BJJ purple belt
Congratulations. I nearly died on white-belt level.
I can imagine get-ups can be very beneficial there also.

Kettlebells are universal. You can do a lot more with a 20 kg kettlebell than you can do with 20 kg dumbbell. That said, dumbbells are also useful.

Attached: Japan_wrestling.jpg (540x540, 171.31K)

Yes, I guess it depends on what you want/need. I didn't realize you do more strength conditioning than strength/endurance which I prefer in order to increase grappling performance. at least it is my idea of how I can increase it, since I like high volume. but I am also already using 28/30kg kettlebells (after starting with 16kg as well). kettlebell is still a bit experimental for me but yielded some benefits already.

I go usually like described alternating with either a timer of 60s -> 15s break per set -> swing -> random other exercise -> swing, etc. Or I just do flat out 30-35 reps, break and other exercise, never twice after each other to keep the flow of energy.

Also yes, getups are of my favorites, but usually at the end to use all excess energy I might still have. Snatches are awesome too, can fully agree with Pavel: If you have only 10 minutes, just do snatches. Also 100 snatches in under 3/5 minutes is awesome to push your limits and willpower.

Any good dyel program/info for starting training with kettle bell?

I just do 30 minutes of kettlebell swings for cardio

Sometimes I'll do high repetition squats or single arm rows

I don't feel safe doing alot of other exercises, they feel very high risk with the awkward hold and the way the weight is shifted, i would definitely need facial reconstruction surgery.

ah, and regarding the Halos.. somehow yes. I mean I do volume mostly and with 24kg+ they feel just awkward for my wrists and my whole structure and I am afraid of injuries. but some (old school) martial arts guys swear they are too good to not do them. I think comes mostly from shaolin/kungfu stuff, where they use shapes like "bowling pins" in various sizes/weights, one handed, and do halos. pic related

Attached: IMG_5904_8292f5ad-88da-492e-8e30-99eee5d5754c_grande.jpg (600x600, 31.16K)

Different, they've meant to be used ballistically and not only under controlled presses, which is why the handle is shaped like it is. You don't incrementally overload kettlebells by 5lb increments, you train with one kettlebell for much longer until you are very comfortable with it before moving up to a larger one, so you can get by with just a few kettlebells instead of a whole set of dumbbells.

enter the kettlebell / pavel tsatsouline