runnersworld.com/uk/training/5km/a760067/six-week-beginner-5k-schedule/
i.imgur.com/fl6072v.jpg

Weeb edition:
i.imgur.com/XIlRHcD.png

Resources:
>fellrnr.com/wiki/Main_Page
>youtube.com/user/Vo2maxProductions
>Jack Daniels running formula
>metsperformance.com/blog/why-1km-repeats-with-short-rest-is-a-misguided-interval-set-an-introduction-into-work-rest-ratios

>Stretching
Read the fellrnr page on stretching, there are differing opinions on stretching in general.

>Before
Run for 1km to 3km and use 'lunge matrix' and leg swings as base and modify for personal needs. Dynamic, ballistic and static is all possible. You don't want to overdo it though.

>After
At least an hour after the run, do static stretches. Depends on personal needs. Also, replenish your electrolytes.

Attached: snowy evening.jpg (1920x1268, 1.01M)

Other urls found in this thread:

fellrnr.com/wiki/What_to_Look_for_in_Running_Shoes
jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2010/05000/Prevention_of_Running_Injuries.14.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

FAQ:
>Can I run if I'm fat?
Yes, but it depends on height/weight/age/experience/prior injuries.

>Where do I start?
n2r (none to run)
c25k (couch to 5 kilometers)

>What then?
Depends on your goals.

>I don't have any running goals, I just want to stay reasonably fit, what do?
Do cardio at least twice a week for 30-60min. No need for speedwork then.

>Will I lose all my gains?
No.

>Will I lose weight?
Maybe, depends on CICO.

>Can I do cardio on rest days?
Yes, stick to easy runs.

>Does running kill my [bodypart]?
No. Feel free to ask for the pasta with the studies.

>Why does my [bodypart] hurt?
Check your form, equipment, schedule. You might be old, overweight or a noob. Ask again, give more information.

>How do I improve my time over distance [distance]?
Probably more weekly miles. Maybe speedwork. You'd best stick to a plan. Either read Jack Daniels (highly recommended) or google for 'sub [time] [distance]', chose one of the plans and ask if it's any good. If it contains 4-7 days of running, 1-2 speedwork and 1 longrun it's probably alright.

>What shoes should I buy?
Depends on your terrain, weekly milage, weight etc.. In general all brands produce quality products. Read:
>fellrnr.com/wiki/What_to_Look_for_in_Running_Shoes

>What other equipment should I buy?
The most important data to control your training is probably heart rate and then pace. You best get a cheap garmin forerunner (or equivalent), so you can watch both during your run. A HR strap for your phone can do the trick, if you are short on money.

>Should I lift?
Yes, you want a strong core and legs. Diddies, Squats, Lunges, Trap Bar Diddies and core work. Depends on goals, schedule etc.

>What else should I know?
You are probably running too fast.

>What else should I do?
Partake in local 5k's,10k's and half marathons. They are fun, even if you are slow.

>muh knees!
jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
>We did not find an increased prevalence of osteoarthritis among the runners. Our observations suggest, within the limits of our study, that long-duration, high-mileage running need not be associated with premature degenerative joint disease in the lower extremities.

ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
>a lifetime of long distance running at mileage levels comparable to those of recreational runners today is not associated with premature osteoarthrosis in the joints of the lower extremities

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
>Long-distance running might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
>Long-distance running among healthy older individuals was not associated with accelerated radiographic OA. These data raise the possibility that severe OA may not be more common among runners.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
>The presence of radiographic hip OA and the progression of radiographic knee OA was similar for older runners and nonrunners.

journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2010/05000/Prevention_of_Running_Injuries.14.aspx
>Increased training miles per week appears protective against knee injuries.

I like running and believe that this should be a recurring general so bump.

Question:
I run in the mountains so my calves are my limiting factor for runs. Would calf raises help with this at all?

Also a lot of this stuff should be put into a pastebin or something so that it doesn’t take up 3 pages

I haven't done any running since last spring, I switched to walking ~25 miles a couple of times a week, but I'm starting back tonight as I have less time and want more heart gainz. I did c25k in the past, maybe I'll do n2r this time and try and pick up the pace a lot in exchange for the longer rests.
my goal: 9 min mile. I only managed 10 before.

Attached: 1622634613220.jpg (718x718, 196.07K)

I'm starting to run tomorrow. Bought winter gear and stuff. It's pretty cold here, -5C.
Any tips/things to know?

What is the benefit of running over hitting the bike at the gym for half an hour after I lift?

Update: I did wot I said I going to. Pretty fun, I outpaced a cyclist. He wasn't going very fast for a bike but it would definitely would have annoyed me if I were him kek

i want to start running but its too cold outside and my lungs hurt from breathing in such cold air
i cant wait for weather to get better because i need some fucking cardio
i have punching bag and a jumping rope and i use it from time to time but its boring and i want more variety, one day running, other day punching bag, another day jumping rope, bicycling etc.
i lift weights and makes me feel good but i desperately need some good cardio or i feel like im gonna die

also what do you guys think about smartbands? i want to buy one

Attached: EctdP2ZWoAAGK7B.jpg (400x400, 38.29K)

also another question
is it good to run barefoot? i used to run from time to time and i would always use shoes with flat sole cos i felt it was the best for me and now that i want to start running seriously im considering barefoot

You can try calf raises, but I doubt they'll help. In my experience, your calves will get used to it and get stronger by themselves if you keep running in the hills

Dress so that when you go out you feel slightly cold, so that you'll be just the right temperature when you run. You'll have to experiment with this, but it's generally better to be slightly cold on a run than to be soaked in sweat, which is going to turn cold anyway

More fun, more calories burnt per minute, out in clean air

Good job user, stay consistent and you'll get the 9 min mile in no time

Try wearing a neck gaiter over your mouth and nose, it usually makes the air a little warmer

I think it's better to run in shoes. You'd be slower and it'd take some time to get used to it. Also it probably wouldn't work for you besides summer

Attached: eac1f9c94c7565ef.jpg (1001x1500, 298.31K)

What is your favorite foot strike?

Attached: Footstrike-patterns.jpg (1295x429, 120.95K)

midfoot and forefoot are the only acceptable ones

>At least an hour after the run, do static stretches. Depends on personal needs.

Does this mean that you're supposed to do an hour's with of stretching or wait an hour before doing stretches? Either way, I'm doing it wrong apparently.

Some dude in a dead thread said that walking distance X burns the same amount of calories as jogging/running it.
While I understand it from a thermodynamical standpoint, I assume our bodies are inefficient at higher speeds than walking and burn off more than needed, right?
If so, by how much?
Are we talking +10% or even more than 30% (like someone else stated)?

Attached: cee39a3baf.jpg (540x960, 53.24K)

For anything over 3 miles I am heel strike gang
midfoot/forefoot for playing sports or short distance

Do tibialis raises instead

it's good if you enjoy getting injured.

There's no way you burn as many calories walking as running over the same distance. I think you burn ~20-30% more for the same distance. Think about the elevated heart rate, heavy breathing etc.

On a different note what happened to the last thread? It was comfy.

dressmyrun.com gives you recommendations for what to wear based on your current weather/location. It was -3C today and I ran in shorts (still with gloves and hat over the ears, though). Typically I'll break out the thermal leggings for below -5C or if I'm in really crappy snow/slush.
You'll know whether you've dressed accordingly if you stop noticing the cold after a few minutes into your run.

Attached: 182502.jpg (1002x518, 65.37K)

I have been running barefoot for over a year now. From a scientific standpoint, it has the benefits of reducing injury rates across the board with the exception of cuts and blisters on the feet. It's also slightly more efficient in terms of how many calories you burn, around 3-4% less than shod. If you're running and want to keep running into your old age then barefoot is the way to go. The main downside is your going to be slower than someone in shoes.

Your feet also need time to build up proper calluses, so walking for a few months first isn't a bad idea. Winter takes some getting used to, if there's no snow I can easily go outside in -10c but if there's snow then it usually has to be above 0c. My winter runs are usually shorter too, multiple 2ks instead of 8k at once.