Alright Any Forums, I'm stuck choosing between 2 distros, Gentoo and Guix

alright Any Forums, I'm stuck choosing between 2 distros, Gentoo and Guix
which one is better for a desktop?

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 118.72K)

I use Gentoo and I'm happy with it. but make your own decisions

Gentoo supremacy

Attached: 1663328773684.png (1600x1200, 93.23K)

Guix is built on a good concept but the implementation is unusable. Between the two choices you gave, Gentoo is definitely the way to go.

thanks anons, I think I'll go with Gentoo

Windows 10

Am I going to get banned for suggesting it?

yes, I'm going to ban you from life

(in minecraft)

I'd have to agree with the other anons, Gentoo is better than Guix for ordinary desktop usage but that's only because Guix is an fsf distro and doesn't use systemDick, consider NixOS if you want a Guix that works.

FSF has relation to being systemd or not? I thought it was about not providing firmware out of the box.
(why can't people just grab the firmware they need from kernel.org?)

No but they wanted to NIH their own init written in Lisp.

Nix is superior to Guix because it actually has packages
Nix is superior to gentoo because of how declarative it is

Nix can't do half the stuff Gentoo can, and from a technical perspective Guix mogs it hard

you know, just because people keep saying "install gentoo" doesn't actually mean you have to use it afterwards.

Gentoo can't do
>declarative configuration of packages and operating systems
>transparent binary caching
>installation of multiple versions for any package
>reliable remote builds
What things *can* Gentoo do at all?
>from a technical perspective Guix mogs it hard
s/from a technical perspective/in some niche technical aspects/
Guix is absolute trash overall. Literally unusable.

gentoo allows you to:
>use a different init system
>use a different libc
>disable certain features of the system completely at compile time
also gentoo can indeed have mulitple versions of a package, just use slots
>Guix is absolute trash overall. Literally unusable.
and not a single claim to back that up, or a single reason it's "trash", just blind seething

>use a different init system
This is the only thing Gentoo has over NixOS and nobody except severe schizos cares. For embedded use cases, you build custom minimal OS images with Nix.
>use a different libc
NixOS can do this. You can even use multiple versions of multiple libcs at the same time, something Gentoo hopelessly fails at.
>disable certain features of the system completely at compile time
NixOS is a source-based distro, so it can do this.
>also gentoo can indeed have mulitple versions of a package, just use slots
Slots don't work for *any* package. They also miss the most useful part of it: being able to install the same version of a package but with different patches or USE flags at the same time.
>and not a single claim to back that up, or a single reason it's "trash", just blind seething
Which part do you want to talk about? Its shitty language choice limiting repository size drastically because each additional package decreases performance by a lot? Its rigid and poorly designed configuration system that would require constant edits of the Guix source code to implement any non-trivial system configuration? The tool and package repo being tied tightly to each other, making the use of multiple Guix instances and third party repos a massive pain? The necessity of downloading the entire version control history of the package repo and guix pull generally being slow as fuck?

install guix and read SICP

I didn't read this except for the slots part.
Why have nixxers never used slots in their life? Literally the one thing their OS can do and gentoo did it first lol.

why is kde3 not in the nixos repo?

FSF doesn't restrict systemd but guix made its own init system written in lisp, which is cool but not really good for non free software compatibility.

For Guix you can't just go grab drivers and slot in a kernel like a regular distro since they do things differently (the same as NixOS) you instead add the nonGuix channel(something like a repo for a normal distro) and substitute the libre linux kernel with the mainline one in your system configuration

nixos is way better than both. gentoo is dead and guix is unusable as a result of the gnu religion.

nixos is way worse at "just working" than gentoo is, and way uglier designed than guix - either of these 2 are a much better choice