What happens if I just break the rules of a software license?

What happens if I just break the rules of a software license?

Attached: essex.png (522x711, 120.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.com/2022/05/16/vizio_gpl_contract/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get sued

Attached: 1661884748427.png (227x222, 8.98K)

you get sued for copyright infringement and land in prison for 10 years*
*unless you're a highly paid executive, then it's just a fine

you will die painfull death

The very next night you fall asleep, RMS will creep up on your feet and eat shit out of them

Nothing, most clauses of most licenses aren't even enforceable in the US let alone the rest of the world.

it would be very painful

Nothing at all

have GNUtards ever successfully sued someone?

>open source code says you can't use my code
>ctrl + c, ctrl + v
what are they going to do about it

There were some high profile cases in the 2000s where GNU sued companies shipping linux and busybox onto routers without releasing source code for their router firmware, recently, Vizio got sued by the software freedom conservancy for not respecting the GPL even though their whole smart TV interface is linux and free software.
Vizio claims GPL doesn't apply to them and that only the developers of the original software are entitled to the original source code and they never bothered to ask, that case is currently ongoing.

You get arrested by the GNU/Police and go to BSD jail.

Most likely nothing. Unless they can demonstrate damages in court, they have no case against you. Most instances of people violating software licenses amount to nothing more than a few angry neckbeards screeching on the internet

>He thinks that developing an application for Linux means it has to be released under the same license as the Kernel.

Are you actually retarded?

Your argument for why they are bound by GPL is that their software runs on Linux. You are the retarded one. Plenty of proprietary applications run on Linux and it is not a software license violation.

They modified linux to run on their smart TV and didn't publish their changes (whatever), and refuse to divulge source code when asked (illegal).

>is that their software runs on Linux
No you dumb negro look up what SmartCast is

How is that not open and shut? They licensed the software and distribute it. The GPL is explicit in these matters.

They tried to appeal so it would be tried in a jurisdiction that would be more sympathetic to poor """""american""" company being """""attacked"""" by what they characterized as harassment from a patent troll organization.

It didn't really work though.
theregister.com/2022/05/16/vizio_gpl_contract/

no

lol

Depends how you break it. If you're doing something that gets on the radar of the application publisher, you might get a C&D telling you to knock it off, or a lawsuit. Otherwise, nothing fucking happens. Nothing happening is pretty much the default behavior.

they have lots of money to spend on lawyers

my sides

>How is that not open and shut?
FOSS faggots are so retarded. Someone violating the terms of your software license doesn't mean you are entitled to anything. Either prove damages in court or shut the fuck up. If you can't prove damages, then go cry yourself to sleep or something.

The dev comes and breaks your knees

>Be me
>Spend all day typing up copypasta
>It's beautiful
>Add a blurb stating that I give permission for anyone to use my copypasta under the condition that it is only ever posted on Any Forums
>Someone posts it to Reddit
>I sue them, because they violated the terms I laid out
>Courts say "we don't care"
>mfw

Attached: OIP.jpg (474x265, 13.79K)