Steamdeck

>steamdeck
>steamos
>linux
>runs games perfectly fine with desktop hardware and linux as it's operating system only thing is it has all of the packages drivers and software needed to make it run properly preinstalled

make that on prebuilts and oems and linux would boost in more than few percents in the desktop world

Attached: steamdick.jpg (1280x768, 413.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

emudeck.com/
store.steampowered.com/app/1118310/RetroArch/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they already tried with steam machines
then again, the state of linux gaming back then was really poor compared to now
if they released a steam gaming laptop and priced it aggressively, people would probably lap it up because the software is actually okay this time

it's just another proprietary operating system based on linux. why is steam deck viewed so positively here compared to chromeos and android? could it be that this board is full of gooming manchildren?

Isn't Steam OS open source ?

because Steam has a loyal user base and is actively trying to get more people on Linux, Valve is planning on releasing SteamOS so other device makers can use it too, and they contribute to WINE despite using its Proton fork, which is also FOSS. ChromeOS is trying to get more people into the Google only ecosystem, SteamOS is trying to get gamers out of the Windows Only ecosystem

>proprietary
I don't think it is. They're even planning to push it out to a broader market to see if they can suck out some of that Microshit market share.

Nah, I'm fine with the handheld that I already have.

>proprietary operating system
lmao it's literally just arch with frozen packages and standard linux steam pre-configured to launch on boot
if you're not an idiot, you can do this yourself with an archiso flash drive and a half hour
it also makes no attempt to hide this or restrict you from manipulating the system unlike chromeos or android

except for steam itself yea

if a group of people make a pre configured linux like that and try to offer it as a more newbie user friendly linux to companies like dell (who are already into selling linux laptops) this just might work

Freetards are so mind broken that anything that can work for the masses must be proprietary

>anyone that uses linux is a freetard
who is the mind broken one here?

I implied no such thing
But to call steamos proprietary just speaks volumes of the mindset of the poster.

... and then people would proceed to put Windows on it.

The reason why Steamdeck's Linux works is because its a console. "Its a PC!" is a meme and is not the case for 90% of users. Getting emulators, etc. working on it is just extra busy work for the end goal.

This will never work because the user will inevitably run into an issue. This isn't exclusive to linux but what is exclusive is that they'll have to search harder for inadequate sources that assume you have prior knowledge of linux. They'll see the terminal once and nope the fuck out.

>standard linux steam pre-configured to launch on boot
Nah, it uses KDE Plasma for Desktop and their own customized Gamescope for gaming mode.
Gaming mode is basically like a seperate Steam client.
>Getting emulators, etc. working on it is just extra busy work for the end goal.
lol, lmao even. emudeck.com/

>emudeck
Retroarch is by FAR more popular and requires less effort. You are over estimating how much effort people put in.

>why is steam deck viewed so positively here compared to chromeos and android
Valve is a privately held, 100% American-owned company, and Google is the opposite of that.
If Gaben ever sells Valve or takes it public people's attitudes toward the company will change as well.

>Retroarch is by FAR more popular
emudeck installs retroarch user.
>and requires less effort
that's the oppposite of the truth. emudeck is literally just automating everything for emulation, including settings specifically for the hardware.

>that's the oppposite of the truth.
store.steampowered.com/app/1118310/RetroArch/

**test**

At the point where you have to get ROMs there isn't much difference in terms of effort.
Emudeck also doesn't require you to start up Retroarch first and then browse your ROM list, it just puts your ROMs straight into your library so you start them up like any Steam game and get to edit your controller layout for every single ROM seperately. It's peak comfy.

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f7777772e656d756465636b2e636f6d2f696d672f7373312e706e67.png (1280x800, 252.89K)

*and ISOs

For the purpose of this conversation, ISO and ROMs are the same thing.

You an put the ROMs on an SD card from a Windows PC, throw said SD card into the deck and it works. I concede that Emudeck will look prettier but its still more busy work to get going.

yall please stop being mean in my thread )':
i just wanted some conversation )':

Steam Deck uses the same drivers as a standard AMD system. Ditch NVIDIA and you will have a great Linux experience on the desktop.

No they wouldn’t nobody wants linux normals may have never heard of it even.

There’s a reason windows and Mac still advertise