I'm buying a Linux laptop for nomadic use

1. My Google Pixelbook got wet, some keys stopped working and no one in the world can fix it. The quality of the laptop is great, but it's practically unrepairable (I can't travel with an external keyboard).

2. My Purism Librem let me down (low manufacturing quality, loud hum, screws falling out, heavy) - I won't buy a second one

3. I was going to order the first ARM ThinkPad X13s, but it looks like there's a big problem porting Linux and it's going to take a few more months, maybe years, so Linux is out of sight.

4. So I ordered a cool Frame.work "lego" laptop to Germany. After two months they wrote me that they are not able to deliver it by the end of August, so I cancelled the order.

5. I finally ordered my first laptop from System76.com, a Lemur Pro system76.com/laptops/lemur

Battery lasts 14 hours, it runs it's default on fork Ubuntu 22.04 with full disk encryption, it uses it's open firmware with Coreboot, and only 1kg.

So we'll see how it turns out in the end (my life would probably and unironically be significantly easier if I was running on MacBooks :)

> What other choices do I have? What am I missing? .

Attached: pepe newspaper.jpg (250x243, 8.51K)

There is HP Dev One but I can't say anything about quality

Why the fuck would you use anything made by system76?

>return pixelbook to google
>get new pixelbook at discount
bro...

Then offer a better choice.

Pretty sure this thread is an Advertisemetn

>ARM thinkpad
not a real thinkpad
get a T60/X60, T400/T500/W500, or X200.
>purism librem
not libre as the name implies, it has blobs and probably a nonfree firmware as well.
>you-know-who-gle pixel book
backdoored trash
>muh fraem werk
proprietary shitware, backdoored, anti-repair, literally a backdoored proprietary firmware (coreboot), no libreboot support, cant run without proprietary blobs in your operating system either (GPU, wifi, ucode updates)
>sÖystem 76
same shit as "framework", also overpriced dogshit. literally fucking fagbook copypastes.
go get an old fucking thinkpad supported by libreboot and call it a day, maybe get 2 broken ones and fix one up if you know how to, so you have replacement parts. 20€+20€, 40€ for a working and a half-working thinkpad is cheaper than a fully working one without replacement parts for repair.
>LE OPEN FIRMWARE!!!
"""open sores""" does not mean anything, and doesn't matter.
the firmware is literally full of fucking proprietary malware. NO MACHINE made by intel after 2008 or by AMD after 2012 will EVER be free. its IMPOSSIBLE, and will probably always be impossible because of the builtin proprietary backdoors that are REQUIRED to even BOOT.
oh, and let alone the proprietary shitware required in your OS (like ucode updates, wifi drivers, GPU drivers) required to run.
this means, you will NEVER run clean linux without dirty malicious blobs on it, and you will NEVER run your own operating system on it either, assuming you could code one.
any OTHER operating systems than windoze and GNU won't run either because the manufacturers need to release the blobs for them.
this hardware is designed to be defect and to be abandoned after some time.

und weil du ein kraut bist, kannst du einfach auf ebay oder ebay-kleinanzeigen nach alten libreboot unterstützten thinkpads gucken.
guck dir die hardware support liste von libreboot an.

Attached: linux libre freedo pepe.png (447x593, 132.56K)

Not really. It's the last choice, doesn't mean it's good or bad.

>not a real thinkpad

Yeah well. good luck functioning with it. Using Qubes, 2 monitors... Impossible

>backdoored trash
is this a joke?

>is in germany
>doesn't buy a tuxedo laptop

dell xps is a good choice on linux, s2idle works fine and the sensors drivers are in the kernel

>qubes
proprietary backdoored insecure malware, get a real OS lol.
qubes is literally full of proprietary blobs used to backdoor your machine KEK, and VMs aren't a security tool. ESPECIALLY not if you use hardware acceleration and run it all on your hardware anyways. you'd need pure software for that, which would make it unbearably slow even on powerful hardware.
aside from that, all that modern hardware except overpriced RISC-V and POWER9 meme hardware with barely any support, is backdoored.
>is this a joke?
nope. proprietary software, no matter where or what it is, has an approximately 98% chance to be backdoored. now think again, what happens when you run tons of proprietary shitware on RING 0, with FULL CONTROL over your hardware.
>good luck functioning! Ö
I'm literally using a T60 running KDE plasma right now, intel GPU, 100% free software. I don't experience any lag.
It's the most potato-ish thinkpad supported by libreboot you can get aside from an X60 which is basically the same but smaller and with soldered CPU.
also backdoored proprietary bullshit, and their ""loonix support"" isnt much better than 90% of all the laptops youll find in stores if you travel back in time a year or 2.
I would bet my head on it that those laptops also rely on proprietary shitware in your kernel for wifi, GPUs, ucode, etc..., which means that linux will NEVER run without you installing proprietary malware. That means no debian, no fedora with linux-libre, no *BSD, and no parabola.
seriously, get an old thinkpad and install libreboot on it, then install parabola or even fucking debian if you prefer that for some reason (e.g. mental illness)

Attached: libreboot IBM thinkpad gigachad.png (1155x924, 388.76K)

what is "the kernel"?
the vanilla linux kernel?
or the linux-libre kernel, which is what someone who hasn't lost his sanity and the urge to have freedom and privacy, should use?

Attached: feds on freetard libreboot anon raid intel me ime windows microsoft backdoor.jpg (720x934, 111.83K)

glowie or troll.

I mean sure, but holy shit. At this time you might as-well ditch all electronic devices.

Nomadic use?
You are a homeless person

you are a glowie or a troll.
are you SERIOUSLY telling me that software you aren't allowed to examine, control, change, run as you like to, or even know what the fuck its even doing on YOUR COMPUTER... is NOT malware?
take your meds. you don't know ANYTHING about security and are just LARPing on the internet with your shitty ""open sores"" (95% proprietary) botnet.
i more or less did and only use librebooted thinkpads (pic related) and a KCMA-D8 server board (also librebooted) running parabola (100% free by default) and gentoo (kept 100% free manually)

Attached: chad IBM thinkpad T60.jpg (2048x2448, 1.08M)

I have. I’m posting from a public library.

I don't know anything about security?

Send me your CV at nethemba.com and maybe we'll hire you considering you know a lot :)

>jewgle recaptcha
>nonfree JS
>connects to jewgle
>"web apps"
>vaxoid certificates
>mobile "apps"
no thanks, I'll rather keep living independent, feeding on my own seed and potatoes, and my sneed.

imagine the smell