Resources for repairing an ancient computer

CPU was put back in the socket incorrectly and began to smoke when powered on. CPU is an i486 SX. Trying to figure what I need to do to fix it, as in replacement/board repair. Only burn marks are on socket and CPU pin. It’s melted into the socket.

Attached: B8A06F9A-1500-417C-ADA7-B40A554E2C6B.jpg (3264x2448, 2.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SzMHJXHO120
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Send it to Lous Rossman

its dead bro

Why does it look like someone tried to use it with broken while sealing it with some used chewing gum?

Attached: chewinggum.png (301x246, 164.18K)

it is dead. if it fried the pin, then it surely fried the circuitry inside

That’s probably irreparable, sorry. And who the hell needs 3 VLB slots? That’s just excessive for that generation motherboard. :-)

>wtf is this?

It's melted, you retard. Nice quads though.

The time and energy, not to mention cost would just be easier to go order a 486 off ebay.

Or just use an emulator for your gay retro games.

>CPU was put back in the socket incorrectly
wew lad

I thought about watching his videos and learning all I can from him. His channel has a lot of good stuff.

Nice trips but that wasn’t the point. I just wanted to learn more about how computers worked 30 years ago. And so far I’ve learned how to kill a 30 year old computer. Ironically it’s a university’s, not even mine.

Yeah no, that's beyond irreparable. Maybe theoretically you could replace the socket, but the CPU is beyond fucked.

I figured I’d need a new CPU, I’ll probably need to solder a new socket too. I just don’t know very much about machines this old.

and most likly many of the other chips on the board, as they've probly been backed random voltages... etter just cut your losses bro and just do more research before poking at old dinosaur computers

Figured I might be able to play around with it and learn more regardless. It’s just hard to find information and google is fucking useless nowadays.

You definitely need a new CPU, and soldering a CPU socket is going to be a hell of an annoyance. Then you'll need to spend entire fulls days of trial and error replacing other fried components that aren't visibly damaged. It's not remotely worth it, and you won't learn much of anything interesting.

Would it not give me soldering practice?

Sockets are generally baked onto a board, not soldered pin by pin. I'm not even sure you'd be able to do it by hand at all but I've never tried myself. Either way, it's probably not a good candidate for practice. Get a protoboard and a roll of resistors or something for a buck if you want to practice traditional soldering.
You're not fixing this board without a lot of experience and equipment. If you want to pull it apart and melt tin all over it without any expectation of it ever working again then fine, but it's a waste of your time. There are better ways to practice and there are better ways to get this thing fixed. Whatever your actual goal is, this isn't a good way to go about it.

This computer is from 1994
What else am I going to do with it

Here is how you replace the burned socket, good luck

youtu.be/SzMHJXHO120