Rustsisters... we've been had

Rustsisters... we've been had

Attached: screen.png (900x911, 309.93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/907834/
github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/96709#issuecomment-1245350608
github.com/Smithay/smithay
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He's not wrong. C code is more likely to have bugs than Rust by a large extent.

>Rust leads to bugless code
Who the fuck thinks that? Memory related bugs, they could be related to making wrappers around C. Just reads like weapons grade copium.

Threadly reminder that RedoxOS after 7 years is less usable than Linux was after 5 years, and that REdoxOS has already had its first suicide. Rust remains a hyped up failure.

just rewrite the kernel in rust lmao

Here's a link to the discussion:
lwn.net/Articles/907834/

How so? Dud you use Linux in 1996?

>And generic associated types have been in progress for more than 5 years with no real sign that they're going to be stabilised any time soon.
Meanwhile, 2 hours later... GATs got stablaised lmao.
github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/96709#issuecomment-1245350608

Agree with most points, will keep using Rust because C and C++ are even worse

>Nobody has even managed to represent the Wayland memory model in Rust
I don't like rust but that's probably on gayland tbf.

>2 hours later... GATs got stablaised
so rust is literally rushed shit pushed by (((them)))

>5 years
>Rushed
Make up your mind op.

If you want an alternative to C++, look into D. Avoid Rust.

github.com/Smithay/smithay

That post is about 25% correct, the rest is schizophrenic rambling.
>interfacing Rust and C
The quote doesn't blame this on C.
Important here is that you only build the interface once. Get the interface right that one time and then all the modules that use it get its guarantees.
>no we haven't actually tested it but I'm sure the language prevents bugs, they're totally impossible
Willful misreading. The quote expresses curiosity about what the bug rate will be.
Rust really does prevent certain mistakes, that's not an unreasonable claim—so does C++. Obviously it doesn't prevent all mistakes, but nobody claimed that it did.
>memory leaks
This is a good observation but ultimately not that big a deal. Accidental memory leaks in Rust are rare, they only happen if you go overboard with reference counting.
>Rust is 'trusting trust' on steroids
Not really with mrustc. GCC-rs may solve it further.
>It is incredibly slow
It's pretty slow, yeah. But not quite atrocious and it keeps improving.
>Nobody has EVER explained what it provides to the kernel that Ada or better static analysis tools for C could not
Compared to Ada it seems far more willing to interoperate with C. If you squint it's actually a superset of C. Ada didn't go that far (for good reason, it had different goals).
Compared to better static analysis it actually exists.
>Rust can express legibly only one way of managing memory
Rust was pushed by a long-time kernel developer, he probably knows what he's getting into.
The most damning issue I've seen pointed out is some weird double lock that's hard to express in Rust. Nothing super fundamental. I'm not sure the Wayland comparison makes sense.
>generic associated types
Those were stabilized yesterday.

>17 year old kid
>straight
>smart, bright and loves free software
>ports libc to his favorite hobby OS
>Kills himself because of depression
>cniles celebrate this
I have never seen a more toxic obnoxious vitriolic piece of shit community than cniles in the internet.

It's all they have user, don't take it away from them.

False. It was a troon.

Prove it cnile.

You can search it yourself. How's your axe wound btw ? When will you join that troon

>the rest is schizophrenic rambling
aka correct but I really don't like it

>no proof
As I thought. It's funny cniles complain about toxicity themselves. Taste of your own medicine is always bitter.

I'm glad Rust is taking over in real project while your kind can only seethe and bitch in the obscure internet forums. Even on lwn the guy got utterly BTFO.

See

>schizophrenic
I see this thrown out every time someone is not 100% enthusiastic about rust. What is schizophrenic about his post when you admit he is making a point. I think the main point the author is making is that there is this giant push to force rust into the kernel when a lot of the features are still stabilizing and or experimental. The question becomes to what end and does rust meet the objectives of kernel. The kernel's development has always been focused on stability. We see rust changing and still trying to develop the language making this a poor choice for the kernel. I mean say what you want about C, but the language itself is very stable. Issues are well known problems with memory or other functions are well tread. The constant changes to rust creates novel issues and forces kernel maintainers to debug issues with rust rather than focus on kernel development. It also makes joining the team more difficult. As now you need to be proficient both in rust and C instead of just C. Also you don't gain much from rust as when working in the kernel you will need to use unsafe a lot already just because of the task that you are performing. It also makes compilation more difficult and means those who compile now have to understand both languages. The process also becomes slower. I think this burden on the kernel is not worth it all for the end of what? Allowing rust enthusiasts to say that their language is in the kernel. Rust programmers should focus on things like redox or building new applications rather than trying to hamfist themselves into established programs. The question should always be does adding rust as a dependency make this better and is it inline with the projects goals.

I have no strong feelings about the Rust language and have never programmed in it but I do notice a lot of

>I dont like this so it must be troons

Surely people can see how paper thin this argument is, right?

>Surely people can see how paper thin this argument is, right?
Any Forums resorts to trooncalling when they are utterly out of technical arguments.

Complain about toxicity lmao ? We need more toxicity to push you troons away from other languages into your Rust LGBT+ safespace.

>paper thin this argument is, right?
Bro, I'm just here to troll. Fucking troons are always so easy to troll lmao.

Yeah I am well aware of exactly what is going on here, but I am just posting a """friendly""" reminder about how ...special their posts are :^)

I don't save meme's because I'm an adult, but someone should respond with the "I'm just pretending to be retarded" comic

I see the complains about toxicity when your kind gets deplatformed constantly. Hmm, maybe you didn't get the memo yet but let me spell it out:
Complaining about trannies on Any Forums won't prevent from Rust taking over.

>mentally ill individuals groom a young child into committing suicide
>any mention of those mentally ill individuals is "celebrating suicide"
You will never be a woman.

Rusts "community" is literally full of these individuals. I think it might be because it originated in Mozilla.

> Any Forums = the entire C community
Yeah I am sure Linus is in this thread right now shit posting about how he hates fags.

>any mention of those mentally ill individuals
You mentioned the kid.