How can one distro be so based?

How can one distro be so based?

Attached: th-3795070822.jpg (256x256, 8.33K)

based on what?

Based is a pretty abstract description. And subjective. What is so good about it?

Seems like every distro fills a niche except for Slackware which seems to be a bunch of boomers doing things a certain way "because that's how it's always been done".
What is the purpose of Slackware?

> What is the purpose of Slackware?

To drive people away from Linux.

It was shit in 96, its still shit.

Based on the Linux kernel.

The Ultimate distro

Whats shit about it?
>i-it just is OKAY??!!
>-sent from my iphone

>What is the purpose of Slackware?
It's Linux for people who like Linux.

SW is one of examples of KISS principle - small and not so complicated distro.
It's more like for people who likes classic Unix, those who more into Linux, should know about recent trends and standards in Linux (eg. systemd, grub, many high-level CLI-interfaces, etc), which SW doesn't follow.

Its probably the least corpo stable release type of distro with unix-like features

I love it.

Attached: slackware.jpg (1162x1920, 590.38K)

>Gentoo bootstraps from "stage3" tar archive
>Debian, Ubuntu, Mint etc bootstrap via Debootstrap
>Fedora etc bootstraps via dnf
>Arch bootstraps via pacstrap
What's the Slackware equivalent? I'm NOT going to use installers.

> ancient packages
> dead community
> only "feature" is no package manager somehow
> default install is bloated as hell

Sure that's hella based. At least I can respect that it adds variety and it's not just another *buntu clone.

Slackware is 10/10

I suppose the purpose is to get one big well tested package base that you extend via compiling or by installing precompiled binaries made for that specific Slackware version.
t. not a Slackware user

You forgot "gets a new version every five years"

Why do you need a new version?

Normally with dependency management I would say it's not a s important. But with Slackware, how much of a pain is it to manage 10 different versions of glibc so that any software you download that wasn't compiled against the ancient glibc and kernel on slackware? Its exponential for all the libxxx that you have to manage because modern software links against something you don't have..
I'm not saying you can't do it, it's just WHY would you want this? Its not beneficial in any way.

running installpkg/explodepkg on all the tarballs?

i never ran into this problem, especially on -stable.

You tell me. It's not like you're doing anything with it besides advertising the fact that it's installed on your computer, if that's even true.