most other thinpads

> known working hypervisors
qemu+kvm
bhyve

> talks, videos
youtu.be/6m3GuoaxRNM
youtu.be/jh5_hoaj5Ww
youtube.com/channel/UC7qFfPYl0t8Cq7auyblZqxA

Have you installed 9front? Are you having fun?

Attached: glenda.png (512x384, 87.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

man.9front.org/2/fork
9fans.github.io/plan9port/man/man3/thread.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gBE6glZNJuU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm having fun.

Attached: FcLnDfVacAAC0iE.jpg (1911x2048, 363.09K)

>this thread has more posters than there are plan9 users out there

Ok so what's the major difference between Unix and Plan9? What do Plan9 do differently and why?

i watched 33 minutes of the first youtube link so im an expert now
>plan9 is incapable of running anything you like
>its minimalistic with the intent of easing experimentation
so its practically TempleOS with out the holiness

> Plan 9 is a research operating system from the same group who created UNIX at Bell Labs Computing Sciences Research Center (CSRC). It emerged in the late 1980s, and its early development coincided with continuing development of the later versions of Research UNIX. Plan 9 can be seen as an attempt to push some of the same ideas that informed UNIX even further into the era of networking and graphics. Rob Pike has described Plan 9 as "an argument" for simplicity and clarity, while others have described it as "UNIX, only moreso."
Unironically its hard to use and probably not for you. It isn't even for me and I made the thread but I try developing shit for it anyways. The 9front guys have bounties for the introduction of certain features and I felt like they were a good test of my skills but clearly I set my goals a little too high.

it's TempleOS with a networking fetish instead of a networking phobia

btw, I meant differences about deep architectural aspects. Like if there are differences in how processes are managed/scheduled, or in interprocess communication. Or if there is still a system call interface.
And what about concurrency, threads?

plan 9 only uses about fifty system calls and does not into threading.
man.9front.org/2/fork

btw I'm dumb and wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=gBE6glZNJuU

i often read plan 9 when i'm unmotivated. it's inspiring and a masterclass in design & organisation.

plan 9 has no concept of a thread because its processes are cheap

plan9port is different

Apologies. I'm wrong about it and its forks often. Probably not skilled enough to be playing with it but I try my best. It is inspiring to look at and read on.

thanks, I'll check this out when I have a little bit of time

Joy & Fortune on your journey, user.

I have 9front installed on a raspberry pi and messed around with it pretty hard for a couple days. The best part is that the man pages include the paths to the source, which is also installed, so you can immediately open up the code for built-in programs to see how it works. I dont think there's a real web browser for it, but if you were some kind of crazy monk who doesnt want to normie shit like browse social media and coom, and just wants to write his own software, it would be perfect.

Damn, are we all just making 9pg threads now? I only make them once a week to hopefully concentrate useful content rather than spam threads like the latest neural network nonsense generals.
>did you installed 9front?
Many times
>are you having fun?
Objectively, yes. 9 is a viable daily operating system for me. Lots of the unreliability is easy to fix because it's all research OS proof of concept code. I'm having more fun being at computers lately than I've had in a long time. It's refreshing, frustrating, satisfying, and evokes feelings of genuine accomplishment. I love/hate 9 but I feel the same way about unix. All software sucks from an objective perspective. At least 9 is fun.
Private namespaces, distributed computing, everything is a filesystem. Read man intro. In short: it does everything unix does but less reliably
Give it time user, you have to drop a lot of assumptions you have coming from unix and let intuition take hold. It's actually quite easy to use if you take a bit of time reading man pages and skimming the papers. Reading source code helps too.

Attached: 1663041520381.png (640x480, 23.89K)

Openbsd in vmm or vmx or whatever it's called is the general way to get a usable web browser. I have never got this working but using vnc to connect to a linux box for webshit works quite reliably

I'll keep trying, user. I will also refrain from making the general. The last one left a sour taste in my mouth and i wanted some more discussion was all.

bump

9front is comfy, got it working on an unsupported machine and it works like a charm
the installation is more straightforward than debian, lmao
but I'm stuck on setting up auth server, I want the machine to be an auth server and boot into rio at the same time and I don't really understand how I'm supposed to do it
also I can't access 9fat partition as glenda from drawterm for some reason and I don't know how to fix that too

captcha: doctor gay

Attached: doctor gay.png (481x143, 18.2K)