The Antikythera mechanism is not a computer

It is literally a disc to know the positions of stars not a computer !!!!!!!!!!!!

>No OS
>inability to run any code
>Can not do calculations
A slide rule is more of a computer then this shit !

Attached: 1662931203698606.png (1500x675, 2.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_computer
youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=IgF3OX8nT0w
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_computer

>/Analog_computer
Bullshit.

>Wikipedia says
Wikipedia is full of shit.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_computer
LMFAO
> Perhaps the most relatable example of analog computers are mechanical watches where the continuous and periodic rotation of interlinked gears drives the seconds, minutes and hours needles in the clock.

LMFAO
Wikipedia thinks this is a computer.

Attached: grandfather-clock-longcase-pendulum.jpg (800x800, 71.38K)

"Is {thing} a {informal category}" is the most pointless shit imaginable. If you actually had a reason to ask this question the answer would be obvious (and could even be "yes"), but you don't have a real reason, you're just putting words in a certain order and pretending they have an objective meaning.

youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=IgF3OX8nT0w

>OP being a faggot over semantics

>b-b-b- e-celebs say
They are retarded, these are simply mechanical tricks not real computers.

Computer = Turing machine.
Are they Turing machine? No?

>It is semantics if you want to distinguish between a server and a literal rock.

it is what is called a single purpose computer not a general purpose computer

Nobody's going around claiming that the antikythera is a server, are they now?
Is a GameBoy Advance a computer? In one sense obviously yes, but if I ask to borrow your computer to file my taxes you're not going to hand me a GBA. Turns out words need context to have specific meanings! Whoop de fucking doo!

yes it is
Have two clocks at 0.
Start the first clock.
Wait until you reach the first number of seconds (say 12) and start the second clock.
Wait until the second clock reaches the second number of seconds (say 23) and stop the first clock. Read it - 35.
Congratulations, you can do additions now.

It is a computer by the very strict definition of the term. It runs at a clock of one hertz, and each cycle it adds one to an internal registry of seconds. It outputs these in sets of sixty.

It’s not a programmable computer, but it does technically compute. x+1 isn’t as flashy as your floating point whatsits, but it is math.

>Computer = Turing machine.
According to who?

"Computer" in common usage is short for "stored-program general-purpose digital electronic computer". "General-purpose" means it would be Turing complete if it had infinite memory. Clocks have none of these standard qualifiers.

You're not funny.

>Whoop de fucking doo!
>>>/reddit/

That's a calendar iirc

Attached: sataniaSan.png (512x512, 495.32K)

>performs computation
>NOOOO THATS NOT A COMPUTER!! THATS NOT WHAT I MEANT BY COMPUTER!!!

It’s an ASIC, it’s a computer that does one thing. Yeah, you can’t check your mail on it, but it will tell you what time it is like nobody’s business and thanks to no volatile memory, it will store the last time in memory in the event of a power loss, instead of just resetting to zero.

It’s RISC taken to its logical extreme, one instruction. Increment.