Motherboards

Motherboards.
Why do I have to buy $800 dolla motherboard, when $80 dolla one supports CPU I want and like I don't have 10 gigabit ethernet in my house at all. And I don't care about VRM cooling because I aint overclocking shit.

Attached: Sagittarius-serpentarius-secretary-bird-0b.jpg (2816x2112, 1.86M)

I can see you're poor. Do you need help making a rope necklace?

Attached: 1662260479057.gif (360x447, 434.02K)

Since when saving shekels makes you poor?
Like I understand why Supermicro motherboard is expensive. Server-grade chipsets, and other bullshit aint free. Reliability is essential, so they can't save a single shekel on a single component.

But $800 dolla gaming motherboard is not a server-grade product, and only difference I see is a different chipset, and various gimmicks like plastic shrouds, built-in 10 gigabit ethernet.
And like OK, let't compare shitty B660 with premium Z690 shitsets... Different number of PCI-E lanes and USB ports? Price difference of chip itself ? 50 vs 30 bucks. And I don't know much about PCB design, but I don't think adding extra trace for fucking USB and ethernet controller is worth this much.
Feels like scam. But I've doubts that companies like ASUS and Gigabyte would scam you like some chinks on aliexpress...

are you retarded?

It's a scam, motherboards are for the most part the same other than the chipset chosen

You don't. Who told you this shit? Some misery-loves-company Incel loser in /pcbg/?

the better motherboards are usually
>higher priced chipset
>better overclocking support
>more/faster pcie slots
>more ram slots and better ram overclocking capabilities
>more fan headers
>better bios support for overclocking, OC profiles, reset profile on power loss, etc
>more/better back panel IO
so if you don't care about that then just get the cheapest motherboard and it'll be fine

Well, there are couple difference in VRM in cheap vs expensive and said ethernet controller. Maybe audio chip is different.
Dunno, I didn't have desktop since like socket 775 times, and decided that I want a new desktop. And shills are shilling this on youtube videos.
>more ram slots and better ram overclocking capabilities
Um... Isn't memory controller inside the CPU? So just a BIOS difference I guess.
>better bios support for overclocking, OC profiles, reset profile on power loss, etc
You know what would be based? If ANUS or others didn't touch fucking stock phoenix/AMI bios and just left it as is. Having GUI in BIOS is making me feel like a retard for some reason. Like, who the fuck asked for this, most people were fine with text-based UI, but I digress.

Like this is what I remember from back in the day. This was mainly the only difference between cheap mobo and good one. But these days you don't even see much heatsinkage, and I've doubts VRMs became any better.

Attached: cooling-system.jpg (1200x487, 188.64K)

fbbp

>Um... Isn't memory controller inside the CPU? So just a BIOS difference I guess.
RAM overclocking also depends on the layout of the traces on the motherboard.
>You know what would be based? If ANUS or others didn't touch fucking stock phoenix/AMI bios and just left it as is. Having GUI in BIOS is making me feel like a retard for some reason. Like, who the fuck asked for this, most people were fine with text-based UI, but I digress.
Having GUI and mouse support in the BIOS is more user friendly.

>RAM overclocking also depends on the layout of the traces on the motherboard.
Sure. But I've doubts there is any major difference, because what is cheaper, design one layout and then another and third, or design a good one and just copy-paste it on a shittier motherboard and lock stuff in BIOS so people buy premium if they want extra OC?
>Having GUI and mouse support in the BIOS is more user friendly.
I don't know. BIOS isn't meant to be friendly, it is meant to be simple... And GUI is not exactly simple. Plus I'm feeling more comfortable using buttons, than touchpad (in case of that shitty asus laptop) or mouse.

So yeah. Dunno, don't see any difference other than VRM, NIC, audio and chipset. Doubts that can be THAT expensive.

>muh 800 dolla
Whoa poorfag cope detected.

You see... if I had extra $800 dolla, I'd not be buying shitty consumer grade shit. I'd be considering Xeon or Threadripper. And sure enough, workstation/server grade motherboard is $800+ dolla. Because, you know, they don't sell a lot, but engineering cost is about the same between cheap and expensive motherboard, and of course, requirements are a bit different.

>Why do I have to buy $800 dolla motherboard, when $80 dolla one supports CPU I want and like I don't have 10 gigabit ethernet in my house at all. And I don't care about VRM cooling because I aint overclocking shit.
You don't.
Stop asking stupid questions that you know the answer to.

But I don't know... The price is really confusing me

What consumerboard costs $800 that isn't an obvious grab at a rich white mans wallet? I presumed that you where talking about some HEDT platform like Xeon W or Threadripper.

> BIOS isn't meant to be friendly, it is meant to be simple... And GUI is not exactly simple.
Having a basic GUI with mouse support in modern BIOS is a massive timesaver given how complex they’ve gotten in the last twenty years.

Hm. You're right. Idk where tf newegg got the price.
It is more like 80 vs 400... And now I kinda understand price. A bit more chips/different, a bit more premium tax.
Dunno. I think BIOSes became dumber. Some people remember IDE HDD configuration thingy with cylinders and such.

>I think BIOSes became dumber
I can use the GUI in my BIOS to monitor and set fan curves for my case fans by clicking points on a graph. That’s pretty damn smart if you ask me.

You want a solid base to build on, something to last 10 years. I wouldn't cheap out on it.

Reality is that even shittiest most chinese motherboard lasts 10 years. Especially since they stopped using those horrific capacitors.
Expansion-wise? Maybe won't be up-to-date for long, but with Intel it doesn't matter, as they seem to shit out new socket every fucking time they update the cpu.

Haha $800 is nothing. I spent over $3000 on my motherboard and I'm really good, probably the best. If you want to be as good as I am then you'll spend the extra money. What if you're on a date with a girl and she see's your $80 motherboard ? What are you going to do then? When women I meet see my motherboard they tell me I'm the best and then i do the sex on them