Why did everyone hate it so much? It was just a Windows 98 Third Edition. More feature rich and just as stable...

Why did everyone hate it so much? It was just a Windows 98 Third Edition. More feature rich and just as stable, yet ME got all of the hate for the stability issues?

Attached: Microsoft_Windows_Millenium_Edition_Logo.svg.png (400x110, 22.15K)

it's just a meme
like hating on nickelback

it was honstely rubbish
just went from 98se to xp

Drivers, mah dude. Faulty ACPI, poor USB support, WIA in beta quality, old core. Those things became unforgivable after XP was released. The comparison was staggering, even at the start, when XP was itself shaky.
Windows 98 just could do *less*, it fucked up 7/10 tasks, Me fucked up 12/20.

Attached: Capture19.png (1243x766, 144.13K)

It was less stable than 98SE and had less features. It was missing DOS which was still needed for games.

No, no and no - you seem to be one of those people who state the misremembered trivia as solid facts.

I never liked Windows 9x in general.

>More feature rich

>Windows Me restricted support for real mode MS-DOS. As a result, IO.SYS in Windows Me disregards CONFIG.SYS, COMMAND.COM and WIN.COM and directly executes VMM32.VXD. In its default configuration the system would neither boot into an MS-DOS command prompt nor exit to DOS from Windows; real mode drivers such as ANSI.SYS could not be loaded and older applications that require real mode could not be run. Microsoft argued that the change improved the speed and reliability of the boot process.
>Unlike previous versions of Windows 9x, Windows Me was entirely aimed at home users, and thus had certain enterprise-oriented features removed. Several features of its predecessors did not work or were officially unsupported by Microsoft on Windows Me, including Automated Installation, Active Directory client services, System Policy Editor, Personal Web Server and ASP. These features were supported on its predecessors, Windows 98 and Windows 95. A Resource Kit publication, targeted towards system administrators, was never published for Windows Me.
>Other features that were removed or never updated to work with Windows Me included Microsoft Fax, QuickView and DriveSpace, as well as the GUI FAT32 conversion tool. Several Windows Explorer commands were also modified in Windows Me, matching the menu structure in Windows 2000. While some were simply moved to a different location, certain functionality of the Go menu, as well as the Find command on the Tools menu, are no longer available.

CE and vista was what people really hated

>just as stable
No it wasn't
It'd last about six weeks before I'd have to reinstall windows ME because it had corrupted itself.
Win2000 was far far more stable

i swear if windows 95 was released today the start button would say something like "Let's Start."

Text?
No it would be an emoji, probably of a car or bike, when hover over it would change to the emoji half off screen with speed lines behind it

This. I used it for 10 years on one of my computers and never had issues. Was it less stable than 98? On paper, yes, but it really wasn't a big deal. People forget the kernel issues that XP had. XP blue screened and kernel panicked for me tons more than ME did, and no one points the finger at it. It's just as overblown as the people who wine about Vista.

Windows 2000 was amazing and definitely way better, but there has to be something up with your copy of ME, your workflow, computer, or software installed to make it shit the bed every six weeks. I had an OEM install on a Gateway computer, and it ran just fine for 10 years before I retired the box.

or just 4 rectangles

xp sp2 fixed all the bsod issues for me

trapezoids, but point taken

Never really had any problems with it, I used to run it on a K6-2 with 128mb ram and a geforce 4

Ran it on a desktop for six years, it was fine.

Cope harder tech impaired dumbass. Should have bought hardware brands that had decent drivers.

Because it was bundled on trash tier PCs with a bunch of pre installed crapwarp and sold to boomers. Basically a last attempt to milk the 9x line of OSs even though Win 2k was available and better, but would have been too much for such shit PCs to handle.

So whenever you saw a PC with this installed you knew.
> It was owned by a boomer
> It was riddled with spyware and probably viruses too
> It had shit specs
So from that point on it didn't bode well