/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook)

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards, tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium roll cage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>Excellent Linux & *BSD support

ThinkWiki - General info about ThinkPads/specs
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p (1080p w/mod board), Ivy Bridge support on T420 w/coreboot, quad core upgrade, classic keyboard mod on xx30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quad core models
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - last ThinkPads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>T440s/T450(s)/T460(s)/T470(s) - ultraportables, good battery life
>T480 - last ThinkPad with swappable battery, T25 keyboard mod, excellent performance/battery life, getting cheaper

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5-8250U quad core
>X62/X63 - X61, i5-5250U
>T70 - T60, i7-7700HQ
IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, MiniDP, no dock
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

BIOS replacement:
coreboot.org - T440p, X131e, X1C1, and xx30 series (no 61) or older
libreboot.org - X/T60 and xx00 series

Additional resources:
biosimage.booru.org
1vyra.in

UEFI patches:
github.com/digmorepaka/thinkpad-firmware-patches

Chat:
t.me/thinkpadgeneral
discord.gg/Ybdz7AS
##ibmthinkpad on libera
#/tpg/ on rizon

Attached: 1608232023038.png (2359x1749, 1.06M)

Feels nice to finally have a laptop again

Attached: thinkpad.jpg (2812x1581, 2.38M)

congrats

Source for the OneeChan image?

Is there a model of ThinkPad users would recommend for someone looking for a small laptop? I'm looking for something compact to take around for basic computer use (no gaming).

is the t450 good? I need a powerful cheap laptop I can run windows 10 on.

X-series is full of 12--inch laptops:
>X200: last one that is librebootable, performance is enough for Linux but sucks on Windows 10, stock displays suck but you can put some better screens from X200t in it
>X201: basically an X200 with upgraded internal hardware, first gen Core i CPUs bring a lot of battery life and performance improvements while LED displays (compatible with the X200) have much better longevity than the earlier CCFL models (they still suck though)
>X220: huge performance improvements thanks to Sandy Bridge (but undervolting support removed), displays switched from 16:10 to 16:9 which might be good or bad depending on what you use your laptop for, the keyboard is slightly revamped (positions of the Insert and F1 keys) but still considered classic, the first X-series with factory LED IPS display options that IMO look very good
>X230: mostly just an X220 with the keyboard redesign, more power-efficient CPUs and much better graphics performance (only some very light gaming is possible though), exact same display options as on X220

>X240: probably still the most hated X-series model up-to-date: it not only has the keyboard redesign but keyboard has been considerably shrunken, you can see it at a glance when comparing the size of X230 and X240 keys, key travel has been reduced, volume buttons have been removed. physical trackpoint buttons have been removed but you can put the X250 touchpad with physical trackpoint buttons in it so it's not as bad as it sounds. with this model, the line switched to ultra-low voltage CPUs which, while admittedly good for battery life, would not match the standard voltage CPUs from earlier generations in performance until Skylake. but undervolting is back on the menu. the battery bridge system means that this laptop can easily get 10 hours of battery life even on Linux with minor battery optimizations. there is only a single RAM slot and it only takes up to 8GB of RAM, so that's a twofold decrease in maximum RAM capacity from the X230 and exactly as much as X200 can take lol. factory display options include 1080p IPS displays.
>X250: updated X240 with physical trackpoint buttons that can take up to 16GB of RAM. it's still only has a single slot though and getting a single 16GB DDR3 RAM stick can be expensive
>X260: the same as X250 but now with DDR4 RAM so the single slot is less of an issue
>X270: first X-series with USB-C charging and last one with the battery bridge system
>X280: first X-series with quad-core CPUs, but only a single internal battery means reduced battery life compared to earlier models
I don't know much about the later ones because they are outside my price range

It's decent but I wouldn't say it's powerful. Get something with a quad-core if you want power. Will have no problems running Windows 10 though.

I have a t460p with a dgpu, now this may not have been the best because when I launch a simple game it starts running hot. I don't care that much about battery life but is there a way to toggle this dgpu in 2022? I tried to setup bbswitch but it didn't seem to work, do any of you guys have a solution to toggle dgpu on demand?

why does the op only recommend modern T models but not X models? aren't they basically the same just smaller form factor?

Soldered ram? I think modern x series' have 2 slots, one of which is soldered so that limits upgradability. Plus the x280 only has an internal battery which is kind of annoying if you want to keep using the laptop for years to come.

You should have the option to adjust which applications use the dGPU and which the iGPU in the Nvidia Control Panel. You can try undervolting the CPU and the dGPU, applying liquid metal, or both. Liquid metal by itself should knock off around 10 degrees C compared to good quality thermal paste and it's not that difficult to apply if you are careful. I have successfully applied liquid metal on both my W520 and W530, placed them both vertically, tilted or upside down for days and nothing bad happened. Just make sure to stick electric tape on any capacitors and such around the die. It's also not true that you should only apply the smallest amount possible, if you do that it's easy to get WORSE thermal performance than with paste. Just apply a small drop the size of a match head on the CPU die and spread it really well with a q-tip. Then wipe off the excess from the q-tip on the cooler in the place where it makes contact with the die. Repeat with the GPU die. Then carefully screw the cooler back in. Oh and remember to use good-quality liquid metal. Only use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, anything else is only 2 EUR cheaper per 1g at most and much lower quality with cases of liquid metal solidifying after a few months.

Alternatively, there should also be a switch in the BIOS to disable the dGPU entirely if you want to game on Skylake integrated graphics.

Where can i buy an Innolux N140HCG-GQ2 panel as a EUfag?

I've got a Thinkpad P51s which needs a replacement motherboard according to the beep codes. Should I just salvage it for spare parts and chuck it away or what?

>systemctl suspend
>leave for a week
>battery from 90 to 0
what?

the joys of S1 sleep state
one of the reasons why modern hardware is shit
because your surveillance device NEEDS to be able to receive notifications and update its spyware OS while it """"sleeps""""

IMO P51s is one of the most atrocious Thinkpads ever made, not because they royally fucked something up during manufacturing but because they had the gut to take a ULV dual-core CPU (the exact same models as in the ultraportable Thinkpads like X270), pair it with a GPU that is worse than a GeForce 940MX (the one from some T460p configurations and a LOT of cheap cucksoomer trash) put it inside a "thin" case with shit thermals and market it as a workstation-class machine to scam people and get them to buy it. It's such a fucking bullshit naming scheme that a single lowercase letter differentiates two machines with such WILDLY different performance characteristics. They really tarnished the name of the P-series with it and should be ashamed of themselves. Remember how Louis Rossmann complained that you can't do any real work on the Thinkpad 25 because it has a ULV CPU? Well, that model is quad-core, the one in P51s is a dual-core. I didn't watch many of his streams, I honestly wonder if he even knows about P51s and how hard he would shit on it if it was brought up.

Oh and to answer your question: yes, salvage it for spare parts. It's what that piece of shit deserves and motherboards for any of the P-series are expensive. The parts will thank you for putting them inside of a better laptop.

Does the Dell Latitude E6230 have a wifi whitelist?

I bought a new lenovo ideapad 3 chromebook for $99. I thought it would be dope, like a mini, cheap thinkpad, but chromeos only supports like 9 file types. There is a linux file system available via the terminal, but like.. for real. I guess with a $99 I should stop complaining or just crammit.

Attached: Screenshot_20220911-194637_Gallery.jpg (1078x1063, 674.14K)

I was thinking they fucked up as well when I saw the specs on it, a dual core paired with a nvidia gpu. Didn't know much of the backstory behind that but luckily it wasn't my daily laptop anyways. It was on its way out to the bin
I have a T580 and seems like I could fit some parts from the P51s in there