At any point in time, you have to ask yourself: why am I not using C++?

at any point in time, you have to ask yourself: why am I not using C++?
It:
>can facilitate massive project scope
>compiles to super fast binaries for any platform. minimal runtime, just double click the .exe
>can elevate your logic through greater layers of abstraction.
>has the biggest ecosystem of any language. more libraries than anywhere else. extremely powerful & fundamental libraries like freetype, stb, sdl, entt, glm, libav, yoga
>battle proven. makes pretty much every game, every browser and compilers like llvm. no sudden unexpected unfixable bugs that’ll cripple your project
>is great for small programs like command line utilities
>ultra portable. can be made to run on absolutely anything. PS2, nintendo64, iphone, you name it
>is ubiquitous. looks good on your resume. a lot of people know C/C++ and can work with you or for you.
>is great for prototyping. used by the majority of winners in coding competitions

when faced with these facts, you better have some good excuses for not switching to C++ immediately

Attached: 961266402_0_0_800_800_1920x0_80_0_0_cf8741906ba656d884c53d3dad81712b.jpg (1920x1920, 323.91K)

STL is fucking unreadable and has illegible errors, has a lot of other problems too.
Exponential compile time.
Template abuse.
Memory management meme/"smart" pointers.
Ecosystem is mostly bloat nullifying the performance gains from switching to C++.
>looks good on your resume
if anything I heard it's a massive red flag
>used by the majority of winners in coding competitions
no shit because competitive programming is all about speed
did you look at a winners horrendous code tho

Because it can't split a string.

thanbks but ill stick to c

no thanks. i use an assembler because i'm a straight white male.

>at any point in time, you have to ask yourself: why am I not using C++?
Yes. Then I used C++ and I remembered why I abandoned it.

Dogshit package manager. Dogshit standard library.

>if anything I heard it's a massive red flag
Is this what the rust trannies believe?

Attached: 1635870102608.gif (320x240, 2.65M)

slow compile times and it's not very ergonomic, like a sharp sword where the handle is a cactus for no good reason, utter garbage
only sociopaths unironically use C++

C++ has bloated syntax and features. Even if you limit yourself to a sane subset. You always get into contact with insane third party stuff.

Because it does not have anything comparable to an interactive REPL.

It is inexcusable for a programming language not to support interactive features in 2022 and it's truly mind-boggling that it still isn't the norm everywhere.

std::views::split

>slow compile times
C++ is significantly faster to compile than rust. granted not as fast as c but it has a lot more going on

"it's used in competitive programming" is probably the worst possible reason to use something for any other kind of project

>>compiles to super fast binaries for any platform. minimal runtime, just double click the .exe
needs x10 for a basic hello world its slow as fuck to compile.

since this is a cpp thread someone explain if I can move a heap allocated object. I have a vector of objects which all inherit the same base class and only have a different implementation of a specific method I want to change the obj at index i at runtime and make sure it occupies the same spot as the old one. Any idea? I know variant would also be a option but then I would have to wrap std::visit for everything.

>std::views::split
Can't use this in production, have fun updating every toolchain out there.

Placement new?

No thanks, I learned Ada. It's better in every way.

>limit yourself to a sane subset
The problem is that, in the case of C++, it's very hard if not impossible. Many features have a circular dependency upon each other, to the point that you basically have to be aware of every gotcha of every feature, or else they will behave in incredibly surprising ways when combined.

The concept of having a large language where you can only cherry pick what you want and forget about the rest isn't even that bad, but it has to be done right: namely, the features have to be independent from one another. Instead, in C++, even basic features depend on less desirable features, for instance RAII is impossible without exceptions and vice versa.

Can you show something you've made in Ada?

is there really no alternative?