Is wayland going to be replaced by X12 or are we stuck with it forever?

Is wayland going to be replaced by X12 or are we stuck with it forever?

Attached: wayland2.png (592x614, 40.21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dudemanguy.github.io/blog/posts/2022-06-10-wayland-xorg/wayland-xorg.html
arcan-fe.com/about/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bro xorg already died. Last update on the x12 page was 5 years ago.

Wayland is X12

We're stuck because it's X12
It's a big issue for me, I have shit that doesn't work on Xorg, but Wayland shits the bed often

>but Wayland shits the bed often
tf are you talking about?
Works great on gnome and KDE.

It does weird shit for me like delay popups from opening, drag and drop working only half of the time, freezing window controls, and on KDE scrolling is absolutely fucked on xwayland applications which are many. In fact I have to use my browser on xwayland mode just to get drag and drop to work properly between certain applications. I have to also tinker with older games to make them work properly (I couldn't even get some to work properly without using Lutris with gamescope and a virtual desktop when on xorg I wouldn't need those and had less input latency). Not to mention only being able to choose between Plasma, GNOME and Sway. All this shit just so VRR works on one of my monitors, and I have a 6600XT.

Mandatory read: dudemanguy.github.io/blog/posts/2022-06-10-wayland-xorg/wayland-xorg.html

>I'll even concede that multi-monitor VRR is currently broken in Xorg but works in (some) Wayland compositors. Note that moving the mouse amusingly breaks VRR in several Wayland compositors anyway.
What I find funny about this is that there's only 3 (KDE, GNOME, Sway) and VRR works in all of them. VRR only "breaks" (as in, stops working until you stop moving the cursor) on KDE and Sway. Several, holy fuck. Like there's 15 of them and not just two. It's like, 66.6% of them or something.

Oh wait, my bad, there's also Wayfire and some other project here and there that nobody uses

There won't be an X12, it will either be wayland or something newer more well thought.

>something newer more well thought.
Please god I hope I don't die before this happens

It barely works at all with the proprietary Nvidia driver.

wlroots is an abomination that somehow makes Wayland even worse than it already is.

How so? Genuine question

not stuck with it since I use x11

I bought a pinebook pro a few weeks ago and it came installed with Manjaro and wayland, good god that thing lagged like shit. I Installed Ubuntu with Xorg and Gnome and it ran way better.

I mean, you could use it with Xorg in Manjaro, but anything is better than Manjaro so nothing of value was lost

Use arcan.
arcan-fe.com/about/

>Use arcan
how?

You left out weston. There's several no-name compositors on github no one uses as well.

>drag and drop working only half the time
This is what happens when you have a mix of applications running Wayland and X. You can't drag and drop between them. Known issue, but not able to be resolved until the application developer decides to use Wayland.