Almost the performance of C++ with less pain

mattwarren.org/2019/03/01/Is-CSharp-a-low-level-language/

With its low level access and the fact that its open source, does this have applications beyond whatever new framework or tooling Redmond seems to shit out on a monthly basis?

Attached: CSharpLogo.png (500x500, 30.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

isdotnetopen.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how does you does csharp in bangalore?

Too bad it's cucked by Microshit. Literally impossible to use without Visual studio. At least it's DLLs so we don't have to worry about it.

>how does you does csharp in bangalore?
Um, I does English in 'Merica.

Who the fuck cares about performance? Just spin up more virtual machines.

C# is capable of being used for low level applications, but that doesn't mean it should be used for such applications. As for whether it has applications beyond what Redmond shits out... yes. Unity uses C#, and they do not appear to be based in Redmond.

I wonder why there's not even a single OS written in C# to this day... :thinking:

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-09-10 09-45-07.png (1681x877, 170.06K)

>I wonder why there's not even a single OS written in C# to this day...
The big reason is the chunky garbage-collecting runtime. You tend to want more control over things in an OS.
It wouldn't be 100% anyway, but that's because it would need a few bits of assembler to handle some of the guts of bootstrapping and interrupts. You tend to need that even if you code in C. (This part won't be very large.)

>open source
isdotnetopen.com

There have been a couple of research OSs developed in C#, but they're no longer in active development. It's possible to use the language for this purpose, but it's not a good choice of languages.

You actually need to turn off the garbage collector when developing an OS in any language. Language runtimes often assume the OS is already present, and therefore will not behave correctly if made to run in an environment where such an OS has not yet been set up.

pic related has the performance of c++ with less pain

Attached: beef.png (640x320, 63.36K)

JetBrains rider?
Also the various reductions in bootstrapping Program.cs… and the dotnet cli for bootstrapping a project…

Based, C# is going to replace C++, Rust, and Java soon. Kill 3 birds with one stone.

>Java
highly likely
>Rust
have never used this memelang
>C++
nowhere close, try again in a hundred years.

STOP
FUCKING STOP
YOU ARE A FUCKING SHILL THE SCREENSHOT SPAMMER WAS RIGHT THAT MICORSOFT RUNS A HIGHLY FUNDED SHILLING CAMPAIGN HERE AND NOW IM BEING GANGSTALKED FOR KNOWING THE TRUTH, SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GO AWAY

>>Java
>highly likely
Java dominates the enterprise, it's not gonna happen.

>JetBrains
Kek. If I'm gonna pay I'd rather pay for VS.

>dotnet cli
oh boi. You've never touched the cli have you? Try WPF without VS and watch what happens.

Microshit won't open source their xaml shit too.

>muh os
How is that relevant and who fucking cares?

>open source
If you're gonna shill my language at least be honest about it. We all know microsoft deals the cards on dotnet foundation and not all tools are open source.

C# is almost good, but still unusable. One major issue with C# is interop with C structs. C# does not support fixed size arrays or unions.

are you retarded?
>what is LayoutKind.Explicit
>what is FieldOffset

I'd much rather just use Rust. No GC so smaller binaries / wayy faster startup times / much better perf, while having a packaging ecosystem that allows me to use years-old packages without batting an eye or wondering about breakage.