People should demand the return of laptop CPU sockets...

People should demand the return of laptop CPU sockets. I don't see much of an advantage to now have one (just for the manufacturers to force more e-waste on us).

Attached: file.png (700x600, 920.82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cY1dUwLrxZI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you don't understand, they had to make the device 4mm thinner because women and niggers won't buy them otherwise

>I don't see much of an advantage to now have one
Speed. Sockets are slightly slower to communicate with RAM. It's also probably cheaper which is a big plus since most people wouldn't upgrade anyway

>laptop getting old/slow
>replace cpu
>laptop is good again
>manufacturer gets no money
versus
>laptop getting old/slow
>can't replace cpu
>buy a new laptop
>manufacturer gets money
yeah, i wonder why they solder everything to the board. it's a real fucking mystery.
if you want laptop cpu sockets to make a comeback and dont like how current manufacturers are handling it, then why dont you start your own laptop company?

desktop PCs use sockets and have RAM running at much higher speeds than your average bestbuy shittop. A gold contact been is just as good at carrying signal as a solder ball, retard.

Fucking kek

it would be nice if that were true, but laptop sockets were even worse in regards to compatibility than desktop sockets and usually only supported 1-2 generations of CPUs max. and more powerful CPUs often came with more heat output which made the device run hot and introduced throttling that negated the speed advantage. try putting a sandy bridge quad core inside a t420 and see the results.

laptops are for ssh, light web browsing, email, and—last but not least—your choice of vnc or rdp

>try putting a sandy bridge quad core inside a t420 and see the results

What happens?

replaceable cpus, gpus and rams.

2 shekels have been deposited into your account

Since by the time your cpu becomes obsolete, you will need a new socket anyways, there are literally 0 reasons for a socketed cpu. Mxm didn't take off, and it's sorely missed in both laptops and desktops (socketed gpu= better cooling). Maybe nvlink or egpus and make everything fucking usb.

Sure. All laptops should have socketed, replaceable chips, every cooler used in these systems should be able to displace 150w of heat and run silently under moderate load, no laptop should be under half an inch thick, and every single laptop sold needs at bare minimum 4 USB ports.

based. Nothing better than slotting in a best-in-slot CPU into a 10-year-old laptop and making it run like new again.

>if you want laptop cpu sockets to make a comeback and dont like how current manufacturers are handling it, then why dont you start your own laptop company?
laptop makers dont get say if cpus are socketed or not
incel and gaymd does

Use underclocked desktop components. Its been done.

>People should
People don't give a shit. You are an exception to the rule. Not the norm.

imagine easily replaceable laptop:
cpus
rams
gpus
displays

>laptop getting old/slow
>replace cpu with one that's from the same generation and one step up (extra 100 MHz or something) because that's all the CPUs the laptop model was offered with and the gimped BIOS supports
>laptop dies a year later anyway because of fried soldered RAM or fried soldered GPU or something
Last laptop I had did have a socketed CPU still, could've replaced it when the thing died, would've been pointless because the thing that died was the GPU, not the CPU.

Apparently the T420 supports some quad cores without even a hacked BIOS, but you'll more likely than not run into thermal issues unless you use the absolute slowest quad cores you can find (trading the better part of a GHz for more cores).

Come home.

youtu.be/cY1dUwLrxZI

Attached: PhotoPictureResizer_190730_110003093_crop_4032x3024.jpg (4032x3024, 2.74M)

It's called a desktop. Alternatively buy one of these overpriced clown boxes, that's about as portable as it gets.

Attached: sssgGjnKu6EuntBiozHqrF-1024-80.jpg (782x575, 65.19K)

Modern laptops will die long before the CPU become outdated

upgrading cpus is such a meme. by the time you are ready to upgrade they change the socket. I have never in all my years putting together computers ever just swapped the CPU alone