/hsg/ - Home Server General

Last thread hit bump limit edition.

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
Learn something new. De-botnet your life. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
RouterOS's: wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server#Custom
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Cheap disks: shucks.top/ & diskprices.com/

previous:

Attached: im-sure-i-can-help.png (564x564, 144.41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

cats n servers

Attached: DSC00817.jpg (1538x2048, 754.6K)

>catbox.moe datacenter

What can I use if I just want to store data and plug and play multiple 20TB hard drives and don't need all the network stuff?

If I buy a Synology NAS bay device, do I HAVE to use their software or can I just drag and drop into folders?

Attached: 20tb.jpg (1920x1280, 246.75K)

but like.. why would you buy a synology if you don't want to use the network services? that's the whole point of using a NAS

>synology software
>drag and drop into folders
i think you have the wrong idea how synology works. the software is on the NAS (the OS) not your desktop.
and by the looks of it you should just buy external cases to your drives and plug them into your PC if you want "plug n play with no software"

you could look into a hardware RAID enclosure. most of the time it isn't worth it but in your case where you want limited features it may be viable

So there is no options then other than to use a NAS? What if I just want to drag and drop files using Windows Explorer and don't want to use any of the software. Do I have to use Synology's software to use their bay nas devices?

omg cool your tits— the windows explorer is just a tool to interface with the Virtual FIle System interface. there are many different implementations of that interface (e.g. locally attached storage, dropbox, a shared drive mounted from another computer, etc.)

Thawts on pfBlockerNG? I am used to Pihole now is there a compelling reason to switch?

adguard home is better and cleaner, why don't you use it user?

So there isn't an option to use NAS or an alternative to NAS as a simple file drag and drop with multiple drives?

u can usually configure pretty much any NAS to appear as if it were but another volume or filesystem attached on your desktop system

Hmmmn I'll spin it up for a bit and let you know.

You can mount your NAS' storage as a network drive in File Explorer for easy access, picrel is mine. You can set up this type of access very easily with basically any type of NAS, from expensive Synology/QNAP units to cheap single board computers running lightweight linux distros with usb hard drives.

Attached: Capture.png (178x320, 9.08K)

I have nextcloud set up with nginx on a pi 4b. I have a cert through letsencrypt/cerbot, and a free domain name through freedns.afraid.org

everything is working pretty much, but I cant connect to my domain name or public ip from behind my local network - it only works if I use my local/internal IP address.

If I use my desktop to ping the afraid domain name, it resolves to my public IP correctly. But if I use the same domain in a browser, all I get is ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

so for instance if I go directly to 192.168.1.220 on my desktop, nextcloud will load without any issues (Firefox warns about the cert not matching, but it still works). Same thing on my phone, if I go to the internal IP it works. However if I use the domain from afraid as the url, i can't connect from behind my wifi, I have to turn my phones wifi off and use my cell signal to get the page to load

can anyone help me figure out how I fucked this up?

Your router doesn't do NAT loopback. Instead see if you can set up split-horizon DNS (you want to make your user.domain.com point to 192.168.1.200 when you're in local network). OpenWrt has this in Hostnames tab. Or you could put this locally in hosts file on each client device, but that's worse.
I feel clueless as to who gave user such fucked up impression of what "NAS" means. It's just a home server, but heavily locked down by manufacturer to make it more dummy friendly.

What's the thing called that will just request random DNS gets to flood my ips to hide legitimate requests?

I think it's a thing, for DNS privacy

cat /dev/urandom | xargs dig

What software are you guys using to rip and back up your personal DVD collection?

Attached: Rip.jpg (1280x720, 92.52K)

their software is why you buy a synology. the hardware is grotesquely overpriced