/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook)

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards, tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium roll cage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>Excellent Linux & *BSD support

ThinkWiki - General info about ThinkPads/specs
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p (1080p w/mod board), Ivy Bridge support on T420 w/coreboot, quad core upgrade, classic keyboard mod on xx30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quad core models
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - last ThinkPads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>T440s/T450(s)/T460(s)/T470(s) - ultraportables, good battery life
>T480 - last ThinkPad with swappable battery, T25 keyboard mod, excellent performance/battery life, getting cheaper

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5-8250U quad core
>X62/X63 - X61, i5-5250U
>T70 - T60, i7-7700HQ
IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, MiniDP, no dock
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

BIOS replacement:
coreboot.org - T440p, X131e, X1C1, and xx30 series (no 61) or older
libreboot.org - X/T60 and xx00 series

Additional resources:
biosimage.booru.org
1vyra.in

UEFI patches:
github.com/digmorepaka/thinkpad-firmware-patches

Chat:
t.me/thinkpadgeneral
discord.gg/Ybdz7AS
##ibmthinkpad on libera
#/tpg/ on rizon

Attached: 1638109570301.jpg (1024x540, 140.14K)

Finally a normal thread once again
Anyway, what's the best brand of aftermarket batteries? I need one for my old X60s

This thread is severely lacking in the cute and funny department

>fix GBC and hock it
>have money for x200 or t420
>lose both bids
>end up with 3 more T60s
>???
>profit

>be me
>buy xx20 keyboard off ebay
>
>
>yea

Attached: PXL_20220905_080427385.jpg (4032x3024, 3.04M)

Im sorry that happened user

ThinkPads are dead at this point in time. They're trash. And as great as this general was 6 or 7 years ago, when the older ThinkPads were still quite viable and had enough power for work... today this is thread useless. ThinkPad users are pragmatic people. They're not fanboys and they want to get shit done. You can't get todays shit done with 10 year old machines.
That is except if you're a tranny who only cares about librebooting and old as fuck Core Duo and posting pics about this... but that is reddit tier, right?

There is *no* reasonable laptop for the working men anymore. Not a single laptop makes sense. It's a shame. Get rid off this thread already (or post it in Any Forums where it belongs)

Why did they get rid of the external battery for the X280? I like how smol my X270 is but since the 80 series has been coming down in price I was thinking of upgrading due to the performance jump from 6th gen to 8th gen. Should I just get a T480 instead if I want that 72wh external battery and quad core 8th gen goodness?

I came to this thread because I thoughts Any Forumseeks could recommend a good practical laptop... I see now from your post that I was wrong... please provide me a recommendation... I cannot give up hope!

Sorry, there ain't none. Modern ThinkPads have plenty of power for an ok price tag. But they're not better than any other machine, they're very much the very same trash. I know this, because I still feel the pain everytime I have to use this piece of crap (AMD T14) while my beloved X200 and T410 waste space in the locker.

Everything about these machines sucks donkey balls. And if people would have been honest when the 440 series dropped, they would have realized that it was absolutely obvious that everything will only get worse from that point on. The writing was clearly on the wall.

There is NO good laptop right now. None. Every single laptop out there suffers from some major problem be it:
* crappy keyboards - and I am not even talking about the retarded layouts (applies to ThinkPads! read up on their quality issues. My T14 randomly repeats the 4 key sometimes when I press it and as it appears, this is because of how they scan the key matrix and because I cannot reproduce it reliably, lelnovo support refused to fix it)
* crappy materials, cheaply built, bendy as fuck and not sturdy at all. This applies to basically every fucking laptop that is not a thoughbook. The plastics have gotten worse over time. I actually prefer plastic over metal for the feeling. Well, I used to, because modern plastic compared to old stuff, has a completely different texture and gets sticky after a few minutes. With metal on the other hand you'll have a machine where every contact with some object will result in a fucking dent. Been there, done that.
* fooking stoopid design decisions in general
* non-repairable or at least highly "unfriendly" to the user
* and then there is apple which might be OK for people who enjoy that kind of stuff and are generally simple minded. But if you don't want to think differently and enjoy having freedom in both hardware, software and workflow, these are not an option

No reasonable laptops at this point.

So stop posting this thread!

Need some advice buddies
I have a T14 from 2021 with Manjaro... and it's awful. It turns off if I pick it up from the bottom-left corner, it freezes etc, I hate that machine

I'm a software dev so I just sit in my chair with my monitor with the laptop plugged into a dock, so I'm thinking maybe I really don't need a laptop

I don't know shit about hardware. Can I just buy a lenovo mini on ebay and run Manjaro with 2 external monitors or do I need better hardware for that? I don't play games.

Also are you kidding me with these capchas

Are you installing linux?
Do you need it solely/primarily for software development?
Are you compiling or scripting?

If the answer to all those questions is "yes" then I can reccoment that you get t450 or t450s

works fine on my machine.

First of all: Why would you get something from lenovo if you have experience from them and noticed that they produce crap? Don't support these chink motherfuckers who have ruined the greatest laptop brand ever.

As for the hardware question: Basically all modern standard hardware (with only a very few exceptions) works with linux. If you're only getting some ranom desktop with any reasonable Intel or AMD CPU and only use their integrated GPU there should not be any problem at all. I've not had problems with desktops since 2010 or so go figure

Yeah, only because you're dumb as proven by that stupid reply. "Works for me" is a label that you apply to yourself.

Skill issue.

>Skill issue.
Makes sense as I am the manufacturer of all laptops in existence. I really need to upgrade my skills and build better machines. Thanks for your clue, bro! It was of great help to me and all of humanity. I've made up a plan and I'll start shipping better machines as soon as Q4 2022.

Huh? What could be in this package?

Attached: Pic.jpg (3259x1833, 2.41M)

(nice double, I checked it)
weed

THINK pad, THINK!!

>What could be in this package?
>Considering the fact that it has got te modern lenovo logo...
trash