I have no motivation. I have no passion for anything. I don't want to talk to anybody. Nothing is fun to me...

I have no motivation. I have no passion for anything. I don't want to talk to anybody. Nothing is fun to me. I spend most of the day just lying in bed. When I can't sleep I just click on random YouTube videos I don't really want to watch, just to have something to do, but I hardly like any of them. Then eventually I fall back asleep. How do I break this cycle?

Attached: sadrobot.jpg (1499x1500, 297.64K)

i'm in the same cycle. aren't we choosing this, though? i think that's what it really boils down to.

You are allowing your emotions to dictate your decisions. Your emotions are important, but they should be subservient to your intellect. That is: feel things all you like, but make your decisions depending on what your mind tells you will be best for you. Try to do differently, and accept that you will fail in the beginning. If you are looking for some magical thought process of profundity that can somehow snap you of your situation, you will be disappointed. It took you a long time to get to the situation you're in, it will take at least as long to get out of it. Remember: we learn by repetition. If you repeat the current behavior, then you will become better at this behavior. So make sure to repeat a behavior that you would prefer, since that is the only way you can ever make it feel natural to you.

I don't think so. I don't want to be stuck in this cycle anymore. But no matter how hard I try, I fall back into it. I can force myself to function like a normal human being for a day or two, but then eventually I go right back to just lying in bed and sleeping for as long as I possibly can. It's entirely too easy to just do nothing at all.

Thanks. I'm trying to build a healthier daily routine: Wake up, shower, cook breakfast, exercise, etc. But like I said earlier: Some days it's entirely too easy to just lie in bed and go back to sleep for most of the day. It's second nature to me at this point.

yeah, it's very easy. i think is pretty smart. i hope we break this cycle user

Indeed. You're really good at it, so your mind wants to do what it's really fucking skilled at. You can't really do anything about that but accept that that is how you feel. There aren't one shoe fits all when it comes to solutions. I leaned heavily into my religion (Norse) to get the umph to not repeat my behavior. But you're gonna fail sometimes and the only thing you can do then is to recognize it didn't go the way you wanted it to, and then try to figure out a new way of succeeding. Studies show that the most reliable predictor of behavior from kids to determine if they end up with lives they are content with is whether or not they had grit. That is: the ability to accept defeat and keep going. Kids with no grit give up as soon as they lose, kids with grit shrug off their failures and try again. Add the kid's problem-solving abilities on top of grit, and you get a very reliable predictor on who will end up with high degrees, jobs like engineer, etc. Without grit, all your other abilities are useless. So grit is what you should cultivate the most.

Thanks. I'll keep all that in mind. I think I do have some grit buried in me somewhere. When I was a little kid on up to being a teenager, I remember there were things I was passionate about, that I wanted to study and practice hard at, so I could be good. But as I got older, for some reason I stopped wanting to do those things. I stopped wanting to do anything.

Yup, that's the depression going on a rape binge in your mind. I know what that's like. Again, it's not something you can stop. You can only recognize what you need to do, and then for the love of all, not negotiate with yourself. Like... Imagine if you're outside, long way from shelter, and it starts raining. What do you do? You can't negotiate with rain. You can't argue it away. You're gonna have to accept getting wet and walking until you find shelter. That's what self-discipline is. Everyone thinks its will power, but it's not. It's submission towards a plan. It's the acceptance that the plan (that you likely made youself) cannot be negotiated with. It cannot be debated or haggled with. It's something you have to endure, regardless of what you think about it. It's a difficult mindset to get into, but once you do, you stop thinking about whether or not you SHOULD do something, and more about HOW you're doing it. So I was hilariously fat when I started (only mildly fat now). I started taking walks, and they were boring as fuck so I skipped a lot. But once I got into that mindset, I ceased to think about whether I should take a walk, and more about how I would make the walk I couldn't get out of more enjoyable. Started listening to music on my walks. Then started thinking about GMing sessions I was gonna do. Soon, walking wasn't something I did in spite of what I was feeling. It was something I craved to do. I needed to walk. So that's my advice I guess. Stop thinking whether you SHOULD do what you need to do. And start thinking about how you're gonna make that thing you're gonna do no matter what, more enjoyable. Good luck user.

Really solid advice user, appreciate taking the time to type it, ss this for future reference :)

Thanks user. I needed to hear all that. I feel a little better now. I think that's all good advice. Congratulations on your weight loss, by the way.

You are depressed. Get professional help. Cycles like this are hard to break and they're could be underlaying trauma causing all of this and a therapist can help u with things u couldn't do alone.
T. user who was really depressed once

Thanks. I'll try. How long did it take you to get out of being depressed?

I don't know...it sounds like a long vacation to me. I just think you need to get a better view...

Attached: 63796002.jpg (565x800, 846.68K)

That might help.

I'm the opposite of that, all I do is have fun and laugh all the time, I have infinite motivation, I lift weights walk 10000 steps a day smoke weed watch YouTube and enjoy every single second of every single day, my life literally fucking rules.

I'm happy for you.

I had therapy for about half a year, although it took a year or something to really feel better. It's not like it will fix ur problemens all at once, it's more like ur being given the tools to fix urself.

change your lifestyle. go for a walk everyday or go to the park, look around. rediscover old hobbies you may have liked as a child. think about the things you don't like about yourself and take steps toward improvement.

Thanks

Thanks, I'll try.