Professional 3d games in godot

can one create half life 2 in godot?

Attached: Godot_icon.svg.png (2048x2048, 99.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mmyH07FN_3U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sure, you can also use the actual engine half life uses since valve makes their source engine available..

why is this even an argument. all source engine versions are proprietary, don't work under linux and are simply bad. i don't want to have to use valvesoftware when i can use free software.

i make unprofesional games in godot and its pretty good for this purpose, im only hitting performance issues now, but can't tell how easy the fix is going to be until i try it

Is it over for Unity? They seem to be making error after error and some bad architectural decisions in the years past may have doomed them. I always thought Godot looked like a goofy student project but they seem to be headed in the right direction while Unity is faltering.

godot is slow and immature

what's the non soul selling alternativee to 3d games

there is none

what's your dominant skill, OP? If programming, just build your own stack and make a game, you don't need an engine

>don't work under linux
Not true, I recall there's a compile guide for linux releases, though I cannot confirm if the tools like hammer work properly.
The rest however, is correct.

In theory yes, gdscript should be enough to replicate the gameplay from HL2, though even if it falls short you still have source level access to the engine itself and there's plenty of documentation out there on adding your own functionality to it.
In practice, kinda, it's going to be a pain in the ass but you can.

one - yes
you - no

Probably not, unity is targeting the least skilled "developers". so competition from unreal is not very relevant.
Godot is shit for 3d, so that's not really a contender.

>just build your own stack and make a game, you don't need an engine
Even if you're a gigachad programmer and you manage to code everything from scratch, you still need a ton of content. The biggest hurdle moving from 2D to 3D isn't code, it content creation. Everything is just orders of magnitude more work. A game like HL2 has tens of thousands of artist and level designer-hours in it. Maybe hundreds of thousands. If you want to make 3D games as a lone programmer (or 2D games with lots of content) you really need to come up with a clever design where shit can be generated procedurally. A game like HL2 is obviously a no-go.

i actually want a game based on the mechanics of hl2 games. namely the movement. so if godot as others tell me is a no go what then?
art isn't much of a problem i don't want it looking good i want the thing to work then work on the art

You can literally grab the hl2 engine and reuse it.

>argument
I made a statement, all of what I said was a fact

Something like o3de probably

Also there's no shame in making a game in one engine just to port it to another.

this idea that godot can't do 3D is completely retarded
youtube.com/watch?v=mmyH07FN_3U
maybe it doesn't have appealing presets for 3D like Unreal and Unity but it's plenty competent if you tweak things

looks fantastic, I've seen many other 3d ones as well
idk if I could ever handle the tediousness of game development... I have 2 ideas for games that don't exist, but I'll wait for godot 8 or so in 10 years, should be easy enough then