/twg/ – Technology Workers General

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
acilearning.com/blog/7-tips-for-getting-into-it-with-zero-experience
firsthand.co/blogs/innovate-with-influence-global-high-tech/how-to-get-a-tech-job-with-no-experience
indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/easiest-tech-jobs-to-get-into
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions
neetcode.io/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-negotiation-guide/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#Any Forumstwg

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

*Proudly posted from Kuroba Dev* Previous thread:

Attached: 1662121519021..gif (1200x532, 131.81K)

I have an interview at 11 today and I need some advice, what should I say are my weaknesses are, I always fuck those up, and what should I ask the interviewers?

when they ask "what are your weaknesses" answer "coming up answers in this part of the interview"

What's the job description want? If there's anything you're not totally 100% on that's worthwhile to mention IF they bring it up. "I know you wanted this exp but honestly I'm not very familiar with it. That said, I've dealt with (many tools/developing soft skills) before and have had to learn on the fly. I don't my inexperience as an issue, although some additional support might be warranted in the beginning."
I always like to see that someone knows their strengths and weaknesses and can deal with them accordingly, because nobody is gonna be amazing at everything. Everyone needs training

>why ask a man what his weaknesses are, before throwing him into a hackerrank test?

when I was looking for a job, during an interview for where I work for now, my weakness was 'a lack of experience in a professional programming environment', but be sure to add in something saying how you will overcome this weakness right after it

Links need a revamp

I don’t understand the retards who ask these questions. They just want to see the world burn.

they want someone with customer service experience, which I have a lot of from working food and retail, and someone familiar with active directory and vmware, which were part of some of my college classes 3 years ago but I forgot a lot of what we did in class, should I be honest about my lack of knowledge or just try to bullshit my way through any questions when it comes to active directory?

how tf am i supposed to get a dev job without professional experience? i only have professional security consultant experience. not a web dev job btw, working with onions web technologies makes me wanna blow my brains out

Attached: 1661720737718523.jpg (720x537, 39.45K)

Be honest. If you're not a fit you're not a fit, simple as. Lack of knowledge doesn't mean much to me because you can be trained on AD and VMWare. A willingness to learn, being coachable, and decent communication skills are what I value most. Plus hobbyist techies, because they're generally all of those things.
I recently sat on an interview for someone who did not have related experience in the tech field at all. But, they were well spoken, knew their stuff, were very conscious about their lack of experience, but still passionate about the field. They got my vote

Above all just remember that an interview is just a conversation. You don't put pussy on a pedestal and you especially don't put a job on a pedestal because simping is unattractive and for pussies. If they don't hire you, it wasn't gonna work out anyway, so just move on

Anyone here tried being overemployed? What's it like having 2 remote tech jobs?
Considering it because I want to pay off mortgage faster.

Professional experience is a normie filter and a meme, honestly. If they list that they want 5+ years of experience they don't really give a shit how much you have. If they list 10+ they want at least 5. This is true for most organizations
Just apply to everywhere and talk to people in industry. Someone will bite eventually

I know someone who was working 2 full time and 1 part time remote job until recently. The real problem was overlapping meetings that require active participation.
Ideally you'd want to be completely siloed and just left to deliver on your own terms.

thanks for the advice I appreciate it

I am having a hard time landing a good internship position in IT despite in a uni and in a rush of landing one for university related tasks. what should i do to help myself up?

>daily leetcode problem
>it's a tree problem
>check out the discussion site after solving it
>almost all the people there do BFS by pushing tree nodes on a stack to avoid a simple recursive algorithm
are programmers just brainlets in general

Any suggestions?

Learn small bits of useful skills you don't currently have that employers want.

but what should i put in my resume? just list the projects and my previous work experience?

For those of you single, autistic and never had GF let me say this:
Don't get a gf from work / don't go out with women from your workplace.

Chances are:
>She's might just as autistic as you are, so it would be like marrying a female clone of you.
>You'll see each other every day, meaning you won't enough give space to each other, which might cause that you get bored from each other really fast.
>Unnecessary drama at workplace.
>You'll inevitably keep an eye on her.
>You might end up neglecting on your duties just to talk to her.

I made this mistake and I regret it. Even though we broke up and there are no hard feelings between us, is very awkward to run into her everyday in the office or team up with her to get some task done.

Attached: apu_apustaja_(19).jpg (658x613, 61.93K)

i think for whatever reason recursion is treated with contempt among leetcoders

>For those of you single, autistic and never had GF let me say this:
>Don't get a gf
no need to tell me that bro :)

Yeah, pretty much. Also put experience with various programs/tools/languages you've used. Python, AD, Cisco Suite, VMWare, MS Office, Linux, whatever. Speaking of Linux, absolutely put it on there if you have experience with it. That's insanely valuable and says a lot about you - you're willing to figure out how it works and use it which is what I want to see you do when you're hired and are greeted with tools you've never used before. If you have learned a lot of tools and used them, that means you can adapt quickly and learn on the fly, which is a valuable soft skill