What's the difference between volume and a partition?

What's the difference between volume and a partition?

Attached: 1661250610015945.png (746x617, 65.64K)

Volume is how loud something is, and partition is a verb.

I mean in terms of data storage devices

one is the giblets and the other is the whole gibbles.

Have you ever used a hypervisor?

A partition divides up the contents of a disk. A volume is a particular instance of a filesystem and is what is put into a partition so you can store files in it.

wrong

I used Virtualbox if that counts

Attached: file.png (1120x797, 107.53K)

Partitions are sectors of a disk, while volumes are considered one continuous space of data. Partitions are limited to one disk, and there is a volume for every partition. However, volumes can span multiple disks by stitching the two on boot time via LVM (Logical Volume Management).

Volume doesn't mean anything very specific, it's a very politically correct term.

how is he wrong?
this is wrong
A partition is a logical division of space on a disk.
A volume is where you put your files, a volume can exist on multiple partitions, even multiple disks. The term may be used interchangeably, by mouth breathers, but they are NOT the same thing.
I can't believe Any Forums of all places doesn't know this...

fpbp

What the hells a data storage device?
I think you came to the wrong board.
We only talk about apple products here

A partition is a part of two standard disk tables, MBR and GPT, and usually is very simple being an offset and a size on a disk.
A volume is the "thinning" effect a filesystem or other subsystem the operating system uses to consume the space on the disk, usually partitioned by MBR or GPT.
A volume can be a block layer transformation, like full disk encryption or block thinning, or a filesystem's namespace.
The ntfs/exfat/ext2 filesystem is the "volume" and disk0p2 is the partition.

Uhhh, let's try that in english, boss!

volume where put files
partition how carve disk

>What's the difference between volume and a partition?
There can be many partitions on a volume
Its an arbitrary divisor that runs one way: from volumes to partitions

>there can be many partitions on a volume
Except volumes sit on partitions, unless you're from the 80s with a custom MFM hard format.

Also, to further, volumes can these days can further be partitioned into subvolumes and cannot be described as a single method divisor.

Gentlemen we're just talking definitions.
Classical definition.
So everyone does what the hell they want, then it becomes:
Its an arbitrary divisor