Isp demanding to run their firmware on my hardware

isp demanding to run their firmware on my hardware
What underhanded shit are they wanting to pull?

Attached: Z(27).jpg (208x242, 9.02K)

tell them to choke on a chode

the linux firmware package has a license that limits your rights

>some shitty isp modem you're renting through your monthly fee
>"my hardware"
Absolute state of Any Forums.

though you don’t have to use it (the package)

Are you in Ausfailia?

Even if you own the modem they will put their firmware on it. You're only allowed to choose from modems on their whitelist too. There is custom firmware for these modems if you have serious autism but you would want to be cloning someone else's modem not running it on your subscribed one.

Can you disclose your ISP company name?

This glows

This is the policy of Spectrum in the US but I'd assume most docsis networks are run the same way now. US law says you are allowed to supply your own modem but they tested all this shit in court and it was allowed.

Also yes I used to use cloned modems with custom firmware to steal service.

Lrn2read
I said MINE

If you don't rent theirs they demand you flash their firmware into yours

Are there docsis modems that have open source firmwares available? I thought that shit was pretty much proprietary

Well they come with firmware from the factory but isp here's demand you flash their custom firmware that's doing God knows what

There's haxorware, forceware, and some other shit too. Your ISP will NOT approve of you using it and you don't want to get caught. It's good if you want to steal service but I also learned a lot about how the network works from using it.

>doing God knows what
Comcast intercepts DNS queries and injects their DNS server into requests.

My friend had issues with that on Optimum too. He had to go to dns over https to get away from it.

Australian internet might be shit and slow, but it's very open, you're free to use whatever modem you want and if you hate your current provider, you just switch to another and it's ready in less than a minute. Makes it easy to abuse those half price for 6 month deals a lot of providers have.

>Get a Raspberry Pi
>Install Pi-hole
>Install Unbound
>Forward all upstream DNS queries through DOH
>Your move, ISP

>live in third world spic country
>always think the US is the best
>finally make some money in life
>get a closer look at the US life/politics/style/laws/corporations
>realize the "FREEDOM FREEDOM FREEDOM!" is nothing but a catchphrase to keep the sheep at bay by the elites and americans are the biggest slave nation
>reject visa offers by american globohomo corporations

>always think the US is the best
what a patriot, god bless america

It's all shit but the difference is the corporations that own your country don't feel compelled to even pretend to care about you. I am from the US but now live in the third world. I hate my US ISP and the one I have here now is better. Better speed, more investment in infrastructure etc. But the second anything goes wrong and I need to talk to them I'm going to be fucked. Most of the time when shit breaks here I don't call anybody and I just wait for it to get magically fixed. It breaks all the fucking time too.

>>realize the "FREEDOM FREEDOM FREEDOM!" is nothing but a catchphrase to keep the sheep at bay by the elites and americans are the biggest slave nation
this is true, but we're also rich as fuck, so stay where you are, poorfaggot.

Isn't that illegal to alter people's traffic like that

>but we're also rich as fuck
Keep telling yourself that

Apparently the rule change that allowed them to do this happened when Trump gutted a bunch of regulations.

>cartel member sees me walking
>tells me to mule these drugs
>say no
>ties me up and forces me to watch them torture and kill my family
>they torture and kill me
>they recorded the whole thing and uploaded it to liveleak
>at least I don't live in a country controlled by corporations

>but the difference is the corporations that own your country don't feel compelled to even pretend to care about you
Eh, in Russia I got 1Gb/s for 750 Rubles (basically 8 Euros a month) and got 1000/1000 Down/Up speeds.
Now I'm in Germany and pay 50Eur a month to get fucking 1000/50 with no possibility to even pay more for higher upload speeds or static IP (unless we are talking corpo contracts consing 200Eur+ a month)