VPN at Home?

It was recently suggested to me that I could just set up a VPN at home if I want. I was told it wouldn't hide my IP, but at least it would add a layer of encryption to my internet traffic.

This doesn't make sense to me, that's not how a VPN works, is it?

Attached: 00JXUu9pun1kRsTQWb6Pvh8-7..v1569476244.jpg (810x456, 64.78K)

Zoom zoom retard zoomer. A VPN is just an overlay network. This is exactly how a VPN works.

If you connect from the outside network like McDonald your data is protected from McDonald other wise you just encrypt data on local network which makes zero sense.

What would a localhost VPN encrypt though?
I'm talking running a VPN server and client on the same computer, connected to itself. How would that make my internet connection encrypted?

>your data is protected from mcdonalds
kek @ americans

It would be encrypted from localhost to localhost, i.e. pointless.

The idea is that you set up openvpn on your router to encrypt outgoing traffic

That's what I thought. Guy sure was confident, but he seemed kind of stupid, figured I should double check that I'm not the retard.

Turns out I'm not the retard. Thanks trannies

It makes sense when you're on a business trip and can experience QoS shaping from a hotel wi-fi or a cellular provider. Not to mention home network can have a NAS with a lot of stuff to pass time.

>I was told it wouldn't hide my IP, but at least it would add a layer of encryption to my internet traffic.
Do you trust your coffee shop WiFi? No?
Then you can use your home VPN to use their WiFi as if you were on your home network
You can ssh into machines on your home network
You can access storage attached to your home network
All securely, without anyone on the coffee shop WiFi snooping on your activity

That's why you would have a home VPN
"""Hiding my IP address""" is a meme and not what a VPN is suitable for anyway
Whoever is running your VPN knows your IP address
Your use of a VPN is also license for the US Government to hack your shit legally under US law

>I'm talking running a VPN server and client on the same computer, connected to itself.

It's useful for encrypting your traffic so your ISP can't see it. The VPN provider will but if you're just torrenting and shit like that, then they won't care.

wireguard, faggot

This thread is full of contradictions and brainlets. OP, in regards to picrel, VPN Client would be your phone or laptop and VPN Server would be your desktop at home. Hence, you can have encrypted traffic out in the wild.

Attached: how-does-vpn-work-diagram.png (1180x800, 20.12K)

HTTPS already does that, retard.

HTTPS doesn't expose the domain you're connecting to, retard.

Does*

At least zoomers still understand that you need to connect the power cable to the laptop and you need to plug the power adapter into the wall socket, too.

What are you even responding to in this thread, the guy you quoted is talking about a personal VPN at home. You are talking about "VPN provider", so what the fuck are you in this thread suggesting exactly?

Setting up a personal VPN server at home and connecting to it when out and about you dumb fucking retard.

I'm

I am OP, and what you're describing is what I had previously thought a home VPN would be for, and now feel confident that I am correct in believing that.

This is exactly what was suggested to me by cocky retard who thinks he's some sort of op-sec expert or something.

I'm happy to find that he was in fact the bigger retard between us.