Was it really possible in the 80s/90s for a mid 30s married man with 3 kids, 2 pets...

Was it really possible in the 80s/90s for a mid 30s married man with 3 kids, 2 pets, no superior education and a bad job to have a house this big and 2 cars?

Attached: 742_Evergreen_Terrace.png (362x275, 154.34K)

Was it really possible in the 90s/00s for an early 40s married man with 3 kids, a pet, no superior education and a bad job to have a house this big and 2 cars?

Attached: 760D5D0C-7F16-4ABE-BE88-CE016CA5FD72.png (1920x1080, 1.53M)

But the car was made in Guatemala!

If you didn't get your life sorted out by your 40s, you can give up on life.

Yes. Those people are still living in those homes today with all that. The kids just moved out and into rented accommodation and are simply waiting for inheritance whilst hoping taxation doesn't make it so they can't afford a house at least half as big in a shitty neighbourhood.

It's a pretty small home considering he is a top senior engineer at a nuclear power plant, an astronaut and owner of american soccer team.

He was able to live off of the pay he got at the bowling alley until Maggie was born.

Yes and for most of post-war US history honestly. Housing prices were incredibly stable relative to average income until the mid-00s when things got way out of control. Historically when housing prices started to get like that they'd return to the mean, but for some reason they're even worse now than at the late 00s peak. There's a more complete graph of image related somewhere going all the way back to 1945 but I can't find it right now, overall the trend was pretty much flat until that enormous fucking spike you see on this one.

Attached: Housing prices 1980 to early 2001.png (3313x1383, 239.5K)

Yes. Any boomer telling you otherwise is either still permanently trapped in his 30's mindset, or deliberately exaggerating how rough he had it because the fact he could put a down payment on a house by flipping burgers part time in his teens will make millennial and zoomers want to fucking strangle him.

Attached: 1657669731948.png (500x439, 118.88K)

Maybe's because the house fucking sinks sometimes

Attached: latest_cb=20131021172000.jpg (576x432, 36.14K)

he works at a nuclear plant as security something. Abe gave homer the house after selling another house that he won in some kind of tv show thing. Homer actually went to the university, Mr. burns sent him, Homer cheated at first but marge made him go back and finish it correctly. his car was made in Guatelama with pieces of old soviet tanks. they got the dog for free after he lost a race and the original owner kicked him out. the cat was also for free, the crazy cat lady threw it in Lisas face and she kept it.

Attached: 1478925503279.jpg (540x482, 22.92K)

He got the down-payment from his dad selling the old farm he won on a crooked 50s game show.

>nuclear power plant
>bad job

is working at a nuclear power plant really a "ba job"?

with Burns as boss, yes.

Burns strikes me as the type who put his signature on a stamp and handed it to Smithers to deal with all the paychecks.

>housing prices are skyrocketing up to 2008 levels again

Attached: 1631807183865.png (600x782, 512.72K)

They're higher now, that chart doesn't go up to the present day. They're actually already starting to fall because even more well-to-do people are starting to get priced out, they're too high to actually be sustainable.

burns even lets them have a nap time, name one boss who lets you do that.

Attached: 9ee4c8a7636bc2c737a224b74e7710e6.jpg (480x536, 50.43K)

he literally tortures his employers

Attached: 955403.jpg (640x480, 31.97K)

yeah but most of the time he forgets you exist so if you fuck up one day you're in the clear the next

that's not torture, it's forced labor.

He was a plutonium grunt and that was the best job he ever had before becoming safety inspector as a political decision by his superiors.

Is the best we can hope for to be Frank Grimes?

Attached: grimes.jpg (350x270, 37.53K)

Because the house is weird, like where are the stairs to the basement?

Yes

You can still do that in shitty places like Northern Ohio that nobody wants to move to

Yes, if you were born at the right time and white in America, you could successful coast through life without much issue.

Forgot to add Homer was part of a quite successful Barbershop quartet in the 80s. Also had a grunge band in what seems was the late 90s despite grunge had height in the early 90s. Was also in the 90s in charge of some animatronics. Was in the Navy in the mid 90s.

Well he had lots of jobs.

My bedroom is literally sliding off the front of the house. We are renting for $480 a week and the house is worth over 1 million dollarydoos.

Attached: tumblr_nr5vl4mauM1rt610mo4_500.gif (500x374, 1.2M)

GIWTWM

Someone worked out Homer's salary and, adjusted for inflation, it's like $42,000 in 2020 money. Either the show exaggerates or shit really was so much cheaper back then

No. Just watching the anime Assassination Classroom, there is this kid who gets space squid genes because he wants to be strong, this because his father owned a cell phone company but got backstabbed by his workers and so far it is true, even if you study hard to be a honor roll student, or work hard and honestly in a company, you will get screwed.

It is all about who you know in real life, and if you are smarter than avarage, do not show it.

In that door where it is a small closet to store things.

Soccer team from the US? Which one? Seattle Sounders?

You mean American Football and it is the Denver Broncos.

Somewhat. Maybe in the 80s, but by the 90s it should had been less kids, and a well paying job.

What the fuck happened in 2000?

Absolutely.

Correct. Reaganomics hadn't yet had their fully effect on the economy. The Simpsons showed the cracks in the economy, in public schools, jobs. But until the housing crisis people didn't fully how much had changed since the early 80s.

It's interesting to note how many 90s shows make jokes about the same money problems, showing a middle class nuclear family struggling to make the American dream work, but still barely keeping it going. Simpsons, Malcolm in the middle, a lot of sitcoms actually where the dad wasn't something like a doctor.

But then you have family guy, which didn't really care and was just ripping off all the other sitcoms. They were too on the nose about being self-aware. The dad's job doesn't matter, the struggles of a middle class life at the time are absent, they live an upper middle class life but sometimes talk like they're down on the same level as the Simpsons because the show creators are out of touch with middle class life.

Attached: Screenshot_2.jpg (498x887, 131.01K)

NASDAQ crashed as a result of the dotcom bubble bursting, and in 2001 the Fed dropped interest rates to like 1% to promote economic recovery. This caused the banks and Wall Street to go absolutely apeshit.

>millenials were in college or soon to be in college when the last recession hit
>by the time we got out of school there were no jobs and what jobs there were didn't pay
>we had to actually deal with shit like a trend for unpaid internships exploiting people for free labor
>now in our 30s most of us can finally afford a housing at the early 2010 price range
>it's now higher than during the last crash
But what's really killing the economy? We're not buying enough napkins.

Can somebody explain the "boomers ruined the economy" sentiment I often see online? Why exactly do people claim that?
Not an American.

>Gen Xers were exiting college right around when the dotcom bubble burst and the economy started backsliding
>Millennials were still kids or just going into college when the subprime mortgage bubble burst and hurled us all into a recession
who does that leave, I wonder?

Get a fucking job millennial.

got a job, learn to read. I finally make enough money I could buy a house in the 2010s market because after a decade of struggle we're finally getting a rise in wages. But there's another housing crisis and another recession starting, so houses are no longer within reach.

Zoomers got totally fucked by COVID.

I always thought it was always kinda weird in the first season of Family Guy when they established Peter as working at a toy factory. Factory work was a much bigger thing in America in the first half and middle part of the 20th century, and was being phased out by the ‘80s. Homer and Peter were always sort of emulating the sorts of jobs that were held by the generation before them. You wouldn’t actually have an easy time finding a toy factory in the US in the early ‘00s, all that shit was outsourced.

Speaking of Peter’s job, I think I remember him getting fired in a very early episode, but I can’t at all remember what the heck his job after that became.

didn't he start working at a brewery

Well user it's simple really. the reason people keep telling you boomers ruined the economy is because boomers ruined the economy.

It was psychologically worse for the earlier Gen-x crowd because they still got a "close enough" chance, but things never really worked quite right. They were the ones living like the simpsons in the 90s, having all the expected staples of middle class america, but always 1 step away from poverty, somehow never quite making it, never being good enough.

This fucked them over because it was less obvious that it wasn't their fault. It couldn't possibly be their parents faults, no of course not, so their parents gave them shit for being failures, their boomer parents couldn't understand how their kids could fail when it was so easy for them to succeed. So gen-x was the disappointment. And they internalized this feeling and you can see it reflected in the media they made.

Millenials were different because there was no illusion that the economy was their fault. Even the earliest ones entered the workforce and everything was already broken and on fire. No shit they looked around to see who broke everything, and time and again it was boomers who sold off later generations for a small bit of short term profit.

>waiting for inheritance
My boomer mum already pissed away everything of value she had before she died, and my father is slowly pissing away his life and the inheritance from his parents as well. The big nice house that they bought in the 80s that I grew up in is so rundown and dilapidated from lack of any sort of maintenance in all that time that it has officially been declared uninhabitable.

I think this is a trend and that a lot of boomers are actually gonna blow their savings on their own private retirements, and leave their kids with nothing. I know a lot of old people less stupid and less incompetent than my own parents that are just plain selling their nice houses so that they can move into nice home care facilities or just go on cruises til they die because they decide that taking care of a household is too much trouble. It’s like their entire lives were a race to fuck over as many people as possible.

With Homer is was just based on the zeitgeist about nuclear power plants during the 80s and 90s.

With Peter it was because the show creator 1. didn't care, 2. is completely out of touch with middle class America. It's someone scratching their head going "what kind of job do people actually have? What's a regular middle class job? In a factory right?" Somehow they had an upper middle class standard of living with a job that hasn't existed in 40 years.

It makes me think of kids shows made by people about their own childhood, who don't know how different kids at the time are. "this is normal kids stuff, this is what teens do" no old man they're not even allowed outside unsupervised anymore. What century are you from?

People sell their houses as they retire because upkeep on a house can cost a lot of money for people on a fixed income, and they have no need for a house meant to raise a family in when they've already raised their families. It's not a selfish act in and of itself (most of the time). What they do with the money from selling the house is another thing entirely.

They voted Reagan.

I don't think most people are counting on an inheritance for anything. The same generations that screwed the economy for everyone after them are not going to be thinking about what they leave to the kids. They'll squeeze every penny and when they run low they'll sell the house to pay for a place in a retirement village, and then you get footed the bill for their funeral. All the shit they do keep that they think might be valuable is worthless. Some old furniture, china plates that were special 60 years ago but are worthless now, they sold the car when their eyesight failed.

Inheritance would require they prioritize their kids being successful or better off than themselves. But that's not what boomers are known for.

Interest rates got lowered, meaning people could borrow cheaply, and since there'd just been a recession people were looking for safe assets like housing. In response banks started giving mortgages out the wazoo to keep up with demand.

That sounds about right. As other anons have said, his job really never mattered much to the show anyway. I hardly even remember any scenes where he’s working, talking about work, on his way to work, or on his way home from work. It’s like the show always took place on a saturday because the family was pretty much always at home.

Same way that shows that are supposed to be about school children give them a hell of a lot of time outside of class somehow. Even if the setting is in the school they’re always having some mysterious free period where they can do whatever they want. Which I don’t think is something american schools have even had for decades.

As a millenial I gotta say I think zoomers will be luckier. All the discovery of "wow it's all actually gone to shit" has already been done. Jobs are finally being pressured to raise wages and actually think about employee retention, unions are making a comeback, by the time they're all out of college the housing market will have already burst and dipped back down again, the timing will work out with that for the job market, and most of the boomers will be dead and the last of them will be dying off.

Just stay out of coastal areas and you'll have a decent enough shot at an ok future. Maybe look to rust belt cities with good walkable infrastructure. As remote work has increased companies are looking to those places for cheaper property.

GenX who went to college mostly graduated in the 80s and 90s. Only the youngest/borderline ones were graduating college at the end when the bubble burst in 2000.

Plus later 911 happened but the final touch was the 2008 crash, and now we have the new one.

Honestly, 2008 was not as bad as today.

banks weren't meeting demand, they were lowering or abandoning their standards entirely so they could get as many shitty loans as possible to repackage and securitize.

I have a job dumb zoomzoom.

Sadly no, we were expecting for COVID to finally cleanse the weak but zoomzooms remain.

It was always weird going to high school, having 2 minutes to job between classes in a massive crowd, and then spending the afternoon having to do a mountain of homework and sleeping through the weekend to catch up on how little sleep I could get the rest of the week.

Then on tv there would be an entire 30 minute episode that took place between classes, kids were allowed to just wander the halls at school at all times, and then getting out of school kids would go to malls and shit to spend hours and hours doing nothing. All the malls near me had closed before I hit high school except one that was empty except for a movie theater.

Out of touch people making shows for demographics they never really understood.

> the housing market will burst and dip back down again
I keep hearing this, but I’m scared to get my hopes up.

it's not really something to hope for since it'll likely crash the rest of the economy along with it.

Apparently when my mom was a kid, they had an entire hour long break to have lunch, and some kids would even go all the way home to eat with their moms. And they could get up to go smoke a cigarette in the bathroom or in the lot behind the school whenever they wanted. I don’t think this is just old people remembering wrong, I think shit may have actually been sorta like that at some point. I also sometimes read old books where kids sometimes just wouldn’t go to school because they had jobs.

that's just something that depends on the school. I had an hour-long lunch in high school, and the middle school I work at now gives kids an hour for lunch too

That user had the timing off for gen-x, but they were still too young to have had any say over the things that caused the problems at the end of the 90s. The boom of that decade is generally agreed to be nothing but an illusion. Reaganomics saw to that. But regardless people in their 20s, young adults, aren't the bosses who can make those decisions.

One of the weird thing about the boomers has always been their inability to let go of their relevance and influence. When they should have moved on and passed the keys to gen-x they never did. They stuck around. Then millenials come and boomers still run everything. Now gen-z is here and boomers still cling desperately to so much. So many boomer politicians should have retired 30 years ago but they'd rather keep going until they die because the thought of passing the torch is like the antithesis of their generation.

Why do boomers get blamed for ruining everything? Because they're like a bad driver who refuses to let anyone else drive.

I'm assuming she went to school before Columbine.

Well you know how it is. You get a school shooting or two and you get some kids selling drugs, and instead of tackling whatever the root problem is they instead make all kids follow stricter rules and put more of a burden on the school whose budget they keep cutting. That's American schools. They're worse than prisons these days but old people refuse to acknowledge how different it is from their time. Kids can't even bring lunches from home anymore. Everything even the food has to be a scam to minmax the school's numbers. Kids have to buy lunches, if they can't afford the school lunches they go into debt, if they get too much debt those poor kids are kicked out and the districts numbers improve because fewer poor kids attend.

There's no end to the mess.

Faggot. lazy lazy faggot.get those acronym out of here.

Or have children travel to other places or countries when they are not even allowed to go to far from the street they live in.

In a way, that episode of the Simpsons where Lisa goes alone to the museum fits right, but even before that, Bart and Lisa moved around the city and even outside of it, like nothing.

I have a house, two kids, and shitty cars on not much more than that.

The toy factory boss died, then Peter became a fisherman and now works in a brewery where his boss did not even drinks a beer until recently.

It's possible in the right area, like a smaller city or town like where the simpsons live. The problem is there aren't as many jobs paying that much in places like that. For most to get the kind of pay that would afford a house they'd need need to be somewhere where houses are far less affordable.

Raah ug igu ogg grahh ook wo ook ba ook do hmm vah jo ki ram vi ra ko vo li ook ook ook!

Attached: Flintstone_Home_-_Ladies'_Night_at_the_Lodge_-_The_Flintstones.jpg (1440x1080, 353.57K)

>Millenials were different because there was no illusion that the economy was their fault.
The early to mid 2000s was filled with it's millennials fualt news segment and articles.

well yeah, but millennials could universally recognize that that was retarded

Not western animation but I remember how in anime, the Sailor Moon girls were allowed to go to many places unsupervised like that snow resort, and they are only young teens.

Japs do not let they kids go too far and lock them in the house to focus on school like says.

And yeah, I do remember how American shows, show teens doing stuff in the afternoon but they get out at 3:00 pm and in the winter it would be worse as it gets dark earlier.

911 made news even worse.

The fact that all of this is just background noise to the show that you never see unless it's used for the episode's plot shows how much of an afterthought it was. Him working at a toy factory made no sense, but it was never relevant where he worked until they needed a plot about him looking for work. Being a fisherman made no sense. He works at a brewery because "lol he likes beer". And he's been in a brewery for ages now because where he worked never mattered.

did you miss the minor kerfuffle that happened recently when Netflix released a Japanese reality show about 3 and 4 year olds running errands on their own

We only had a free period for like senior year in HS and that was because we were in senior year.

Homer's job also doesn't REALLY matter beyond what it can provide for humor, and pretending it does to dunk on Family Guy as lesser because of it is a bit silly

Yeah, the 2010s actually had the worst of that. But it was just targeted media to boomers, and it was superficial nonsense. Millenials weren't even part of the workforce in the 2000s except the oldest of them.

Boomers kept jerking themselves off about how millenials were killing industries they couldn't afford to be part of. They never believed for a second the boomers were right because it so obviously made no sense.

But for gen-x they could almost afford things, they could afford a lower quality version of things. So they'd be berated and called failures for failing to keep up, and they couldn't pinpoint what the cause was and internalized that it must have been their own faults.

Yes.

Where do you live, and are you the sole breadwinner?

No it happened before that. Around the early nineties with the invention of 24 news channels. The stupid shit cnn did during the gulf war was the playbook for news up until the internet really took off for the masses.
With some fox news bullshit to complicate things

Homer's job is more relevant to their standard of living, and their standard of living is more present in the show (or was in the 90s and golden era of the show). What the job is isn't important, but it's shown to be like a prison he can't leave, paying enough for the basics of middle class life but never enough to be actually comfortable and successful. They were a family always on the edge of falling to poverty, just one emergency away. And that was a common 90s trope because it was actually a reality people didn't want to acknowledge had been building up.

The relationship between the job and the characters and plot is what makes it relevant. In family guy it didn't matter. His job never needed to be mentioned.

>Being a fisherman made no sense

Why not? They are near a coast. Sure maybe he would not get enough money but they already had a sea character.

Me and my wife switch between who works part time between kids. I also sacrifice my health to somehow work and watch the kids out of daycare.
This is is semi rural Maine I'm a 900 sqft house that I got in 2014.

Well it was always there but 911 made it worse.

that's the point, it made no sense as a job to support a family of 5 in a large middle class home in the suburbs.

Is Maine that bad? Mexicans would love to live anywhere the US thinking all of it is perfect.

Wonder if your family could do better here in north Mexico near the US border.

well there's a Japanese reality show where 3 and 4 year olds run minor errands on their own. Japanese children have much more effective freedom, they just also have a much heavier cultural expectation to perform well in school so kids basically lock themselves up at certain points during the school year.

But that's also partially if not completely down to Japan being considerably more pedestrian friendly in general, so kids don't need a car (and therefore parental consent before a certain age) to go places.

Before the unabomber, even.

spoiler: he's probably not the sole breadwinner.
I have two brothers who sort of have what he's saying, one has a family of 4 sharing a split level house with my mom who they're slowly buying the house from. She still works full time too, my brother's wife works part time.

My other brother lives in a tiny town in the midwest that is rare in the fact that it still has some actual industry in it and isn't totally dying. Their decently sized house is literally falling apart, has water damage and bad paint in various rooms that they have to ignore, it's ancient and rotting and falling apart. Their lifestyle is like the simpsons, always 1 foot from poverty, protected mostly by the low cost of living in a rural part of the rustbelt. He's the sole breadwinner but only makes 35k.

This is how the majority of america is these days and exceptions will be exceptions.

I heard that there’s an enormous teacher shortage right now, and schools are scrambling for solutions. I know it’s a pipe fantasy, but I wish it could get so bad that we could abolish the public school system as we know it altogether, rebuild it from the ground up. What’s even the point of sending your kids to school if they’re replacing all the teachers with unqualified war veterans anyway?

June Lovejoy ran away from home to Japan and she is doing way better there.

that is unironically the goal of a lot of Republicans. Except instead of rebuilding it, they just want to replace it with privately-owned for-profit charter schools.

The whole educational system is a scam as implied in and Why spend most of your morning learning most stuff that would not work in real life, can be thaught in less time than spending daily mornings of almost 12 years in a classroom and the optional college career which is now like a daycare for young adults where they brain wash you with liberal ideas.

Yeah, time to abolish the educational system.

God the first errand concept is so cute and wholesome to me. I understand why it’s terrifying to anyone from a region with a high crime rate, but just the idea of it is so cute, as long as nothing goes wrong.

I actually did grow up in a quiet neighborhood early enough for my parents to let my brother and I walk to the corner store on our own to get ice cream and lollipops when we were little, and it was as magical as you can imagine.

the content of school is less important that the skills it takes to succeed at those subjects. Will you ever use calculus? Probably not. Will you ever use logical step-by-step thinking where you need to explain each step and how they led to the results at the end? Constantly!

>abolish the public school system
listen, that's the lovely libertarian fantasy, but it's a shitty idea and only benefits the already wealthy by increasing the demand for for profit schools. But schooling is one of the things, like a postal service, that you actually need to have a free public version of. Because otherwise your poor gets poorer and worse of because they can't get basic education and there's literally no incentive for a school to pander to the poors, there's no money in doing so.

It's a scam don't fall for it.

So no, you don't wish that would happen, but if you pay attention you'll pick up that the reason our schools are so shit is they're being sabotaged by people who DO wish for that to happen. The problems literally exist so they can point and say "it's so bad let's get rid of it". They're doing the same to the postal service, intentionally sabotaging its functionality. Except their reason there is because the postal service uses a lot of property in downtown areas of major cities, and there are people wanting to buy that property up, so they invest a lot in destroying it. They see that as wasted. For example, there's a post office right across from trump tower. However we need a basic postal service because a private one has no incentive to provide a service to unprofitable areas, and our country is so widespread and has so many remote areas to it, it would be catastrophic for the livelihood of so many people. Despite seeming so minor for the rest of us.

Don't fall for this scam. Even if you're supremely anti big government and a card carrying libertarian, there are things a society absolutely needs to have a bottom shelf on, and schools are the biggest one.

Promote more private schools sure, but it's just a Band-Aid to our problems. We still need the public ones so that we don't slip into becoming an actual first world country. Public schools are how we developed in the first place.

No, I think that tracks. It’s not a bad career. The weird part should be that they treated it like a 9-5 office job where he had a steady schedule and got to be home all the time- fishing doesn’t work like that.

I was a white kid who lived in an east african city for a few years because of my parents work. We rode bikes all over like kids in the 80s did. The reason you can't in the US is partly actual paranoia, partly because places aren't walkable and the suburbs are awful, and partly because of the type of crime in question. The drug war fucked us over and now that it's finally dying down people might start letting their kids out again in a decade. But that's what fucked us up.

This. But also a really important thing is that a developing brain needs intellectual stimulation. If you want the kids to grow up into at least somewhat intelligent adults you need to make them train and challenge those brains when they're still developing. The subject or material doesn't matter much as long as it's varied, but people generally agreed that it's appropriate for children to have some basic overall knowledge about the world around them. And even if they'll forget 75% of it, just the fact that they've put some effort into learning it once will make them at least a little bit smarter

Nah.

Go away shill.

>He's the sole breadwinner but only makes 35k
Damn, that's almost unimaginable. I have a friend making 80k+ in Cali and even that isn't enough to own a former crackhouse

No but that idea is worse. It’d be like the healthcare crisis, for education.

This biggest issue with maintaining a reasonable is healthcare. If you cook your own food, don't pay for childcare and don't buy much luxuries it's sustainable.
Except half my income goes to insurance

Sounds like home.

the fact people will not only take cartoons as measures of life but not even watch them is rather disturbing

Attached: 1644433307451.jpg (512x431, 342.93K)

I see.

Jokes aside, Homer's job isn't decent for a middle-class family? Besides, the house was basically a gift from his father.

Attached: main-qimg-6d52bb05a4f989ff029babf7b1af4034-lq[1].jpg (602x339, 44.52K)

of course it is, but they don't care about creating a functional and thriving society, they just care about making a few more dollars for their corporate daddies

>the house was basically a gift from his father.

Retconned

Good post. Keep spreading the truth user, even if it sometimes falls on deaf ears

What?

Yes. Kids need to exercise their thinking skills. What they are actually learning is secondary to that.

Although I do think content is still important, and it would certainly be nice if they were learning useful skills personal to their future lives AND practicing learning, instead of being shuffled into a minimal one-size-fits-all method with every other child.

Long story. First they made it seem that Abe always owned the house we know, but later Abe owned another old decaying house he got from a contest (not winning it) but sold it to get the house we all know.

I know. Weird.

Now that I remember, in an episode its was shown that was Marge´s family house.

This. Also school is not necesary for social skills as they do not even taught them or are not necesary for studying.

If anything this works by hanging out more with kids as some user says.

Oddly like once SUper Nintendo CHalmers was teaching Bart and the bullies but Nelson´s mom was a Karen and sued for some liight injury Nelson got.

that's ostensibly what college is for. And electives in high school, to a degree (although those are all getting dumpstered too). But the thing about a "life skills" class is that a pretty large majority of kids will think learning how to do their taxes is just as irrelevant to their lives as reading Romeo and Juliet.

>Well SEAymour, I made it, despite your post-launch roadmap.
>Ah, Super Nintendo Chalmers, welcome! I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable E3!
>Myah
>OH YE GODS! My game is ruined! But what if...I were to make a CGI trailer with no actual gameplay and disguise it as real game? Oh ho ho ho, delightfully devilish, SEAymour!

>”life skills" class
My parents’ generation called it “home economics.” And you’re right, they thought it was useless, but part of that was because it was made up if a lot of the stuff that their parents were making them do at home already, so they were already doing it, and didn’t think it was useless because it was things they’d never need to know. Now most of it is stuff that parents don’t teach in the home anymore for various reasons, and most kids entering college have no idea how to do.

>take cartoons as measures of life
i was a straight A student and called gifted until i decided to stop doing my homework and start missing classes because " bart never does homework and he's just fine".
nearly ruined my life completely, but I did ruin my academic life. It's silly of me to hold a grudge against a cartoon character, so i don't fully blame the simpsons, a show that means a lot to me. but i can never forget it was a factor. guess i wasn't so smart after all

Unemployment has never been lower

Kek

Steam hams meme forever ruined that episode.

Fuck retcons

Just tell me they don't change Homer and Marge's backstory as teenagers in the 70s, that episode was one of the most memorable moments of the series.

Attached: 21a[1].gif (600x338, 349.1K)

user...

user we are well past the point where you should be caring about the Simpsons' "canon"

What would that even be shilling for? Weak shit user.

Why would you do that, but yeah, being a honor roll student and/or gifted does not give a solution for adult life. Could make it worse.

As said here, June Lovejoy just ranaway from home, something my family told me never to do or else I will struggle in life as a bum, and she is doing way better than me over there despite I got 3 B.A.s and a masters degree.

Guess parents overprotect their children to make them pay for their sins and abuse them, not necesarilly sexually but psychologically.

>Really? And yours is not weak?

grandpa bought the house

I envy June Lovejoy, she is smart enough to learn Japanese but did not kill herself at school, and now has everything.

>that's ostensibly what college is for.
This is a weird thing that Americans have started thinking is normal. That's not what college is for, but american schools have been so absolutely awful for so long and getting worse, that colleges have to make up for it. And after so long of colleges doing that people have internalized the idea and go "well yeah that's what college is for because high schools don't do that, obviously."

even though its not canon, i'd like to think marge isn't working because maggie is still pretty much a newborn
after that she'd be doing part time jobs

>enormous teacher shortage right
Depends where, it's mostly red states seeing the shortage due to so many of their policies attacking teachers and the school systems so thousands upon thousands of qualified teachers are just up and leaving for better places
Florida has had literally over 9000 teachers and administrators leave and the state, desperate to fill positions, had relaxed standards so you don't even need a degree to be a teacher, just sit in with a real teacher for a couple weeks then the give you a class of your own to teach
This is going to absolutely decimate red states in the future

>doesn't know what a shill is
>doesn't know how greentext works
checks out.

Also my mother-in-law is from northern Mexico and she has no desire whatsoever on going back. So it must be better here.

>And white
It's black people's fault they either choose to live in a ghetto or a massive city and not in a town or small city with affordable housing

They did. They moved it up to the 90s

>Oh noes I duinno no sarcasm

The sad part is people don’t enter college until their brains are almost all the way developed, cutting them off from the time when they had the greatest developmental potential. When my sister was a little kid, she begged my parents to get her a french tutor, because she wanted to learn french and the school didn’t teach it, but they told her it was something she could learn “later. When you’re older. In college, maybe.” Then she graduated and found out that children learn languages better and much more easily than adults, and she was royally pissed.

There is an overall shortage. Almost universally fewer people are getting into education at all because it looks like a hopeless nightmare that is only getting worse and they realize their desire to improve the world and help kids learn can't compete with their desire to actually be able to eat. They were making "haha teachers work second jobs" jokes in the 90s. It's so much worse now.

However the states screwing over schools and teachers the most are chasing the few remaining teachers into other states who then still have a shortage but not nearly as much of one.

It is not cringe.

>i wanted to believe everything would work itself out on its own, i think.

Oddly my family, yes my same family who only wanted for me to focus on school told me the same thing, like things will self heal and now things are worse than before.

Do not think of yourself lesser user, your ideas are valid.

Not Bart, but due to my crush on Sailor Mercury, I felt if I studied hard and did well on school I can find someone like her. I was wrong. Who knows, maybe it is for the best as I cannot afford a family with what I earn and my own family costed me out of a better paying job in the States.

I see.

This again, sounds like my parents in Later or something. Like placing lazyness as patience.

>doesn't know what shill means
>doesn't know how greentext works
>doesn't know what sarcasm is
checks out.

>live in a blue state
>for all of July there was a billboard I would see on the way to work that was bought by fucking Texas of all places begging people to move to Texas and become teachers
>the pay was less than I make at my shitty security job

>Just watching the anime
>there is this kid who gets space squid genes
>even if you study hard to be a honor roll student, or work hard and honestly in a company, you will get screwed.
>if you are smarter than avarage, do not show it.
What are you going on about? Homer do you even know where you are right now?

Attached: frank grimes.jpg (600x452, 61.33K)

>Why even bother listing it?

>Same fag as

LOL I read that as Grimes.

Star Trek summarize your weeb shows point better,

Attached: 16596462680339.jpg (1614x748, 158.04K)

Oddly, this how I feel towards June Lovejoy. I feel on her like Frank Grimes feels on Homer but I do not hate her.

>can't even call samefag
>I've posted a fuck ton in this thread and he'd have had a better chance picking two posts at random to call me a samefag but somehow picked a grimes meme
checks out

Shut the fuck up Wesley.

>Hates the green text thing but keeps on going.

Obssessed user? Take your meds, cope and seethe and feel the grass. I can take you to Dr. Agustin Moreno Luna if you want.

>he has no real life examples
>just anime
>his life teachings are from a comedy anime with a character that is a parody of a whole subgenre

This is what made "touch grass" memes become a thing

Attached: 1657002088801.jpg (680x387, 154.79K)

You can find real life examples anywhere Zoomzoom

Shaddup, I want uneducated workers willing to work for dirt and to not understand critical thinking or that certain things harm you, like excessive sugar, or opiates.
If we can eventually make them illiterate, they'll never mobilise in the factories and I'll "have to" exclusively hire only my sons and my friend's sons as the only paper pushing factory managers.

I have no clue why people think public access to literacy and numeracy aren't important. There are some parts of education that are stupid but 99% of the complaints are "I can't get a job" which has nothing to do with the school being bad unless it failed to give you basic skills.

Well go with Dr. Agustin Moreno Luna if you need the grass.

>obsessed
>mad
>seethe
>grass
>meds
>cope
>all in one sentence
Ok class today we're going to be learning about "projection".

you say that but your first go to is an anime

>real life
>anime

Attached: patrick be stupid elsewhere.png (803x526, 425.85K)

Well this thread was fun while it lasted.

Attached: 6FD98249-96B4-495E-BE66-FCD3053598FA.gif (200x150, 315.05K)

I don't believe you can because you couldn't even bring up another Any Forums example, you had to go with an Any Forums example

Also it's always about who you know. Humans are social creatures, you are suppose to network and make connections. I feel even Zoomers get that but something about Millennials miss that mark by large numbers and I always wonder why.

Even redditors and normies have a better go-to quote for concepts like this.

Attached: Screenshot_3.jpg (954x480, 69.92K)

This, companies do not hire really smart people as they would have to pay them more. That is why they want mild smart people or dumb ones to exploit them, but once they get enough job experience, they get smart, see what is going on, so they get fired and replaced with other dumb people.

The educational system is responsible too for manufacturing this.

>Invalidate something from a cartoon as another example came from an anime in a site that was born from anime thinking.

It is your own fault for comparing a real life situation to how some cartoon was in the 80s and 90s.

who the fuck is June Lovejoy

>I don't believe you can

Find examples in real life? Just get out user and ask people, easy as that.

Millennials had to learn that the had way by not being told it, being told the opposite often times, and eventually catching on that the only people having success weren't even qualified but just had parents with connections and money.

Zoomers are better at networking because they've always been in a world connected as it is now and never had to unlearn bad lessons from an older world. This is probably why so many of them are unionizing better than millennials ever managed.

A fat white girl that does japanese porn

sounds more like the fault of corporatism than a struggling education system

why should anyone care about her

Oh shill Zoomzoom.

>most of these quotes are different people but they're all clearly responding to the same person being an idiot about multiple things
hmmm.

user a lot of us are shitting on anyone looking at a fictional piece of work as something to apply to real life. You shouldn't look at a cartoon dad's living and assume that was the norm. You shouldn't look at some octopus kid's dad as something that happens everyday.

This is why society is rotting away, no one has life experiences anymore, just fictional representations of life experiences

Attached: 1464529256280.jpg (255x255, 29.3K)

>Do green text just to place 2 letters, repeating one 3 times to sound smart.

Zoomers perfected troll culture. As no reprercussions happen to them

what am I shilling for? A functional and thriving society built on a fundamental base of high quality public education?

Oh thank god somebody else asked. I wasn’t sure how common knowledge she was so I was hesitant. At first I thought they meant Helen Lovejoy, but that didn’t sound right.

I don't know, the user that keeps bringing her up is probably from the /jp/ JAV threads, there was an user there totally obsessed with her that kept begging people to buy her videos for him

That is the problem, public education is shit. Private education is expensive but liberal. Mo way to win.

That is called a simp.

There was a lot more too:
>first generation to be pushed -hard- to go straight to college after high school
>first full generation fed the lie that both genders can be 100% equal
>They were under 10 when reaping the softest world of a post cold war but just becoming an adult when the economy started hitting the fan a few times over
>71% of Millennials were raised by the Baby Boomers, 67% of generation Z was raised by Generation X

It's like the simulation wanted a whole generation of failures.

> Zoomers perfected troll culture. As no reprercussions happen to them

I can’t say I’m not jealous, but at the same time, Good for them.

You are doing it yourself.

seems like the way to win is to stop corporate-backed politicians from actively sabotaging public education and improve it

Not that user, he is an idiot, but there is a point to comparing fictional characters to the real world as it helps better ground your perceptions to point out the obvious differences along with what is actually true. A lot of what you see is a reflection of something real, so understanding the parts that are real and the parts that are cartoonish exaggeration can help you better talk about those real things.

The simpsons are a cartoon family always one step away from poverty. There is something in that and in how they were originally shown that was a very real reflection of the real world, but exaggerated as a cartoon. However in the real world most people don't stay on the knife's edge of poverty and instead fall into it, also in the real world we've seen many of problems, such as their jokes about underfunded schools, become a reality far worse than their cartoonish exaggeration.

The kids in 90s simpsons had a buss where part of the floor was missing, their schools had walls caving in. It's haha funny exaggeration, except now there are schools in american where that actually is the reality and not exaggeration. By drawing these comparisons we better understand how things have changed and how much has stayed the same.

This "no one has real life experiences anymore" line of yours is nonsense. You can see quite a few anons in this thread alone giving examples to compare with the cartoons being discussed.

I'm not jealous, I thank God every day I'm too old to be able to enjoy Tiktok.

I do not like the bitch, what I am saying is that she simply ran away from home and all her problems got solved.

Something some people advice we should do as soon as we turn adults. But school, family and morals tell us to never run away from home, and not start our own lives as adults but be faithful to family. But this has made things worse.

Reminds me of some user who also said ran away from home in the US and now lives in Italy where all his problems are solved.

Sort of like Frank Grimes, we are told to study and work hard to get everything, meanwhile some do less and get everything.

so fucking do it and stop being a sadsack

Then go after them user.

Row row fight da powah

That is the problem you moron, too late like the Mainefag says.

Why don´t you do it yourself?

>simulation
no it's more like a certain previous generation that still literally runs everything doesn't care about the people who come after them so they're leaving a worse world than the one they entered. No simulation, just the real entitled generation who then told everyone after them "no you're the entitled ones!"

Millenials are just angry about it, zoomers are figuring out how to actually fix shit, but gen-x are the ones who actually depress me because before millenials they never picked up what was going on, so whenever things didn't work out like promised they were told it was their fault, and they had no other explanation, so they just assumed that must be true and that they were failures. A whole generation falsely believing they're a failure and a disappointment because they couldn't be as successful as their parents, when it was their parents fault.

it's never too late

I'm pretty content where I am, actually

>The kids in 90s simpsons had a buss where part of the floor was missing, their schools had walls caving in. It's haha funny exaggeration, except now there are schools in american where that actually is the reality and not exaggeration.

That wasn't an exaggeration, those were based on real world stories in the US. The Bus was from an incident in California during the 60s where the buses were actually losing their flooring and a kid fell through once and died and their were several documentaries in the 70s and 80s about schools that were caving in on themselves but still sending students to them. Hell one in Virginia suffered a sinkhole that was a good 10 feet deep and was only about a yard away from the school but they kept sending kids there.

These problems always existed, you just didn't have the internet broadcasting them.

>I'm pretty content where I am, actually

How convenient

Do it pendejo.

You are just being a wise ass.

>gen-x are the ones who actually depress me because before millenials they never picked up what was going on, so whenever things didn't work out like promised they were told it was their fault, and they had no other explanation, so they just assumed that must be true and that they were failures. A whole generation falsely believing they're a failure and a disappointment because they couldn't be as successful as their parents, when it was their parents fault.

Can you give me back my childhood? If you do user, you win.

>this thing was the solution to one person's problems that means it solves everyone's problems
>it's just a conspiracy stopping us from all doing it
>not me of course, I can't do it myself
People run away from home when their parents are terrible and abusive, it happens all the time. You can do it, people just don't when the pros outweigh the cons. '

But it's not the sort of universal life advice you seem to think it is.

bro(s) I moved 3000 miles away from my hometown and parents, and I did it at like 27. I didn't start my career for real until I was 30. Just fucking do it.

Go with Dr. Agustin Moreno Luna. I can meet you there.

Gen-X has the most stable marriage rates and as it stands are the lowest in depression and medication overall. In deep irony they got the best outcomes where no one knew what the hell to do with them.

Says it is.

I think the data on them having more stable marriages is mostly relative to the generation before them who lived through divorce laws improving for the better.

And the parts about lower rates of depression and medication are mostly modern, as in they didn't get access to any diagnoses and had to deal with their trauma entirely on their own or let it be the end of them.

>all her problems got solved.
>alcoholic
>treated like a novelty in japan and not a person
>only viable economic "skill" is her holes
>keeps bringing up the one ex she's obsessed with
>also keeps bringing up how lonely she is and how no one wants to date her for real
>they/them bullshit

It's not universal, it's just a solution to people with shitty families, which is common enough but is not universal. The only actual problem is people not being aware of their families being actually shitty, either thinking it normal or being conditioned to make excuses for them.

it worked for me and others, and if you think it'll work for you, you should do it. It might not, though, because I'm not you. The only way you'll know is to try.

But bemoaning others' success and your supposed mediocrity on Any Forums doesn't accomplish anything.

I mean, there was a reason they were coined "Generation X" no one knew what their future would be because so much was uncertain, Millennials started with an organized mess of lies that just groomed them into bitter cowards and Zoomers are more in line with Generation X as no one wants to deal with them so they have a lo more agency to move not having to deal with the bullshit of bad parents that either spoil them too much at the start and/or expected them to live the same life 1 for 1.

>I think the data on them having more stable marriages is mostly relative to the generation before them who lived through divorce laws improving for the better.
So why the other two are worse with Marriage then?

Millennials have the most domestic abuse and fatality cases right now. That doesn't add up when the oldest would be 40 and that's when in previous gens that stuff started to climb up hard.

Wasn't that the generation where "if you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best"?

>I think shit may have actually been sorta like that at some point.
Because it was. It's amazing how well people have been conditioned to the idea that they're living in the best possible time to the point that suggesting anything was better before must be a lie.

As a millenial it's fair to say we're either bitter cowards about it all or festering with deep resentful anger about it all.

But my kid sister is your quintessential zoomer and I'm incredibly optimistic about zoomers because of how they deal with shit. They're not taking shit and letting it fester inside, they just fucking leave shitty jobs and tell shitty employers "yeah that sounds like a you problem". Then the older ones are unionizing all over, even at fucking starbucks, which seems like a joke but really shouldn't be.

I think they're going to do fine.

to split hairs that would wildly vary based on your own life. A Millennial that bought a few thousand of bitcoin in 2012 and kept hold of it is living a hell of a lot better than most middle class generations prior. and I'm sure a boomer that was homeless most of his life would resent being told he had it better than most.

A lot of millennials are fine too it's just their generation is very polarized and they are either 40 somethings with a family and stable life/job, or they are 40 somethings still leeching off family alone with no future short of the next quest in their MMO/games

>Millennials have the most domestic abuse and fatality cases right now.
this is one of those things that increases not with actual rates, but with reporting. And the reporting is due to the internet and better support structures and ways to secretly ask for help or advice. People tend to deny they have problems when their spouse is abusive and they make excuses until someone else intervenes. Today we have the internet catching more of that.

Keep in mind that average tuition for a four year university back then was about a thousand bucks. Even places like Harvard maxed out around ten or fifteen thousand dollars including room and board.

So you could get a degree that would land you a high paying job with little to no student debt.

but the numbers should go up with all of them not just one generation.

you should consider inflation too, still very cheap but the low end number would be under 4k.

user
We're at the age where they would've been teenagers during 9/11
10 years from now we'll get an episode where they used smartphones as kids

Abusive relationships are something you more commonly fall into when you're younger. Gen-x didn't adapt to using the internet until long past when it was normal for all millenials. By then any of them still in an abusive relationship were not likely to be changing it any time soon. So no you wouldn't see much of an increase for them, their prime time for it was two decades prior to the internet.

What was this thread about again?

"how did Homer afford his lifestyle," you know, that thread we've had 15 million times

user the data is gather by phone call reports…

June Lovejoy

Attached: FZcklhiUEAABDBF.jpeg.jpg (375x538, 80.04K)

He afforded it by not being a real person

Wasn't he living off lewis

My boss

OP is taking the piss.
You were telling us to take a chinese cartoon, made for entertainment, as fact, and writing like an ESL on weed whose original thoughts are half remembered platitudes.
>but there is a point to comparing fictional characters to the real world as it helps better ground your perceptions
Do not do this.
Fiction is fiction.
Your perceptions aren't grounded because some writer 200 miles away validated your prejudices.
>fiction reflects reality
>old buses and schools didn't fall apart, that's only something that happens these days, the cartoon predicted the future!
>we can learn about the past from fiction
I'm not entirely sure why you think impoverished buildings falling apart is a modern invention when you just said fiction is a window into the era it was made.
I'm also not entirely sure why you seem to be talking about fiction as if it's a factual history book or can teach you about reality.
If I read fiction on the 20th Century, V2 rockets had cockpits, Hitler escaped to his moon base, the Soviets had robot armies, Maggie Thatcher had Hitler as a neighbour she asked to help her govern the UK and the US was 100% white until the 21st century where everyone became black, gay, called everyone folx and ended racism.

Attached: fry stare.png (341x542, 141.58K)

And? I'm not talking about reporting on the internet, I'm talking about people even being made aware of their own denial that comes with these relationships, people getting help and support, and basic awareness of what to do to in those situations. Less communication means less of a social safety net. So often abusers attempt to control how much their spouse even communicates with people besides them.

In the 80s if you're a young gen-x wife with an abusive husband then he's able to easily limit your social interactions and your ability to talk with anyone who might suggest you need help, or might tell you who to call to get help.

Jump to a time where everyone has a phone in their pocket and the internet somewhere and there's a thousand more avenues of escape.

It is all your fault OP.

Who had the better looking house?

Mods. Please get this shit out of here.

You are overthinking it. Go see Dr. Agustin Moreno Luna for help.

Yes.

who the hell is that, some other porn star you're simping over

>>they/them bullshit

This is my red flag on her. Goes to Japan still with this liberal bullshit. Guess Japs tolerate because she is blonde.

To a second level, she seems to have daddy issues. What I feel this bitch will do, is an influx of more trailer trash American hos going to Japan and get easy money there doing censored porn.

But this was a thread about a cartoon house so who knows.

>But bemoaning others' success and your supposed mediocrity on Any Forums doesn't accomplish anything

The voice of experience.

Attached: Inflation-Adjusted-Housing-Index-10-21.png (911x661, 23.62K)

Sure thing Mr. Bezos.

What are you talking about?

Then do something about Anons.

Jesus fucking Christ when you look at how stable that shit was historically what the absolute mother of fuck nightmare are we living in

Attached: Pikmin bulborb shock.jpg (500x500, 62.48K)

Or a middle point. They do have a steady paying job, own a house but they did not marry nor have a family.

Jeffrey Bezos is a smart guy with drive and vision who also got a $300,000 gift from his parents to start his company.

/thread.

A psychiatrist. Something all you people need.

thank none other than Ronald Wilson Reagan, William Jefferson Clinton, and George Warcriminal Bush

Still a successful rich guy.

Ok, and? What does his success have to do with you?

The problem has been ignored for 20 years because people who already own homes benefitted him from it at the expense of everyone else. Have you ever met a politician who doesn't own a house?

Not 40 (most millennials aren't) or a leech. You're right about the no future part though.

Really? I feel like I am somewhat inbetween, I've got my own apartment (rent of course) stable job, usually have enough money for stuff I want too buy, health is good but despite it I always feel somewhat conflicted in the way of "is this going to be it?" Some part of me feels like I should get more, but at the same time I feel like it wouldn't really matter just make me ask that same question, besides a few people who lead really interesting lives I believe for most people that the modern way of living is unending unsatisfactory.

if you like your job (as much as one can) and have a decent social life and/or a hobby you enjoy, you can recognize that you don't have to be in a state of ecstatic euphoria all the time and a baseline level of contentment will take you much further than constantly chasing new highs.

>and have a decent social life
I see the problem

yep, that's the big one

it took me a while to get one too

Attached: 1637391104064.jpg (487x750, 131.36K)

fuck you, some people just mature late

Yeah, at 25 maybe.

It has to do with

that doesn't answer the question at all

Attached: 1631987931015.jpg (600x623, 68.23K)

>Not 40 (most millennials aren't)
won't be too much longer, oldest Mills are 39
>or a leech
working a low paying job while living off of mom and dad still makes you a leech

dude anything past 30 isn't late it's fucking rotting. When you get past your teens you are nearly fully developed, your body starts replicating cells wrong in your mid twenties. All your habits and lifestyle good or bad are near cemented by 30, and 40 is just ten years after that.
Of all the lessons the Boomers gave their kids the worse was "take your time and slow down with life" They might as well have told you to eat a bullet, your best you is made and shaped in your early years, your best chance at a life partner/love is in your early years, people have no fucking clue what your 30s feels like until you get there and it's way to late to "catch up" reasonably by that point.

>oldest Mills are 39
You mean 42

>working a low paying job while living off of mom and dad still makes you a leech
Meh, It pays decent and someone has to take care of her.

You are so smart.

nice cope

There's a point where you stop looking for something society doesn't have to offer you.

Thanks i'm pretty happy with it.

Yet they still wont legalise euthanization.