Why isn't ZFS used more widely? It's literally the perfect file system

Why isn't ZFS used more widely? It's literally the perfect file system.

Attached: OpenZFS_logo.svg.png (1200x1093, 70.18K)

What makes it better than trusty old exfat

kys troon

call me when it has a fully-general way to add, remove, and reshape vdevs, including RAID Z ones. Oh yeah and a GPL-compatible license.

Oracle.
BTRFS sucks but at least it isn’t owned by Let’s Sue Inc.

License problems. The CDDL license it uses was deliberately made incompatible with the GPL so it couldn't be used on linux so easily. Also Oracle ZFS might be incompatible with OpenZFS nowdays. Sad

Because BTRFS exixsts

A great question. Propably licensing. Otherwise using ZFS is fucking mint, I can always travel back in time and unfuck whatever chaos I managed to create by myself. I've never been so happy with a filesystem in my life, not even with BTRFS, which is already quite good.

Why is it better than ext4?

because it's trash

Attached: linusfs.png (1200x603, 477.54K)

>Transparent compresion
>deduplication
>snapshots
>RAID support
>bitrot detection and repair
>Built-in fulldisk encryption support
What's not to love about it?

Linux people have decided they care more about being copyright trolls than about technical quality, and as they refuse to implement a stable driver interface like almost every other OS has (and instead rely on putting code into their own repo) they make it hard on themselves to use ZFS.
Oh, some guy (who never designed his own filesystem; he implemented the MINIX filesystem for Linux initially and then Remy Card invented ext and ext2) "feels" it was "always more of a buzzword"? Well that settles it then.

absolute gigacope, one of the hardest copes I've ever seen

is this some default answers bots do or why is it so out of place

Okay that does sound pretty cool actually.
I'm too used to people shilling garbage.

Be an alpha, use Apple's HFS (non-plus). You don't need more than what this filesystem has to offer - if you are a real man that is.
>Max volume size of 2 TB
Bloat. Real chads use HDDs with a capacity of less than 128 GBs
>Max file size of 2 GB
Need more than that? You have something to hide, for sure.
>B-Tree
More modern that N*FS and e*t4
>File names that can consist of all 8-bit values
Ahead of NTFS once again. CON your file have a slash in its name? Don't think so.
>Supported on W*ndows MacOS and Linux
Need I say more?
>Proprietary
Makes it automatically 10x better.

Attached: t4HJHQPqhOex.jpg (963x1406, 262.71K)

Didn’t HFS also have some pretty severe issues to do with mixed case characters?

>proprietary
never touching that then

>they refuse to implement a stable driver interface like almost every other OS has (and instead rely on putting code into their own repo)
This is perfectly sensible. If someone wants to make some change or implement some new thing in the kernel, he has to make sure it doesn't break the kernel. If you're upstream, that means his code doesn't go in unless he doesn't break you. (or unless he does the work to make whatever changes or fixes are necessary for you to keep working.) That ensures that the work gets dun and breakage is found promptly. If you're an out-of-tree module, well, you're on your own. It'd be impossible to make significant changes to the kernel if a thousand out-of-tree people show up and say "hey, this change that went in a year ago in between LTS kernels broke us, you have to revert it". And yeah, look under the hood of Windows or Mac and you'll see piles and piles of crawling horrors, decades of accumulated cruft to try and keep some broken third-party nonfree code sorta-functioning. That's not a good way to build an OS.

Look at the non-alphas seething. They just don‘t have the immense testosterone levels required to use HFS. Don’t forget to thank the bull for letting you buy a new funko pop. Keep on making a mockery of yourselves.

Attached: qMevwTzUcP91.jpg (700x999, 133.52K)

cuz it sucks