My sys admin friend told me that you can never truly progress (skillwise) in tech because new technologies replace old...

My sys admin friend told me that you can never truly progress (skillwise) in tech because new technologies replace old ones all the time. You always have to start from 0 after 3 years.

Is this true in your experience?

Attached: 20220826_104512.jpg (3840x2160, 431.64K)

Stuff like math will last forever. Bash and Unix utilities will probably always be useful. HTTP will probably never significantly change.

Get into banking. That stuff is still running on 70s and 80s Lisp. You’ll have to learn CP/M, but it’s basically like DOS except it runs on the Z80.

not true because all that changes is that new youtubers repeating same old shit that was written in books from the fuck 80s for clickbaits and views. math doesnt change. period.

>Is this true in your experience?
Wrong.
You never start form 0 after 3 years.
Do you have to keep yourself "up to date". Yes.

Banks run COBOL shit though, and a mainframe is nothing like DOS

No. I changed jobs three times already, every time I was learning new frameworks, new environment, new project, and it's consistently easier and more obvious. You don't learn frameworks to the letter, you learn about concepts and ideas that were used in framework to solve the problem, and once you get that right, any new solution is the same thing with a twist.

It's kinda like with a degree, there are retards who are raging they don't get to learn latest technologies in unis and there are wise men who realize they're studying to learn the sommon language and concepts shared between all of the software developers

no. your fundamental skills are constantly progressing, and new tech almost always builds upon those same fundamentals.

>I changed jobs three times
No you didn't, you changed emplouers.
You still did the same work for the same job.

Changing jobs would be going from a dev to a heavy machine operator (a lot more fun), or going from a chef to a warehouse shipping and recieving manager.

You should be progressively learning new technologies.
Nothing ever comes completely out of nowhere and takes a foothold in the industry. If you don't have your finger on the pulse, you will be left behind like your friend.

Somewhat. It's always the same in concept and logics. But you need to adapt to diffrent languages and systems, especcially when you switch jobs.

Thanks for the informative semantic nitpicking you insufferable midwit faggot

We still use c++98

Whenever people get uppity towards me I'm reminded of some passages from Sun Tzu's Art of War, the Hagakure, and that scene from The Big Short when they go to the mortgage expo in Vegas.

Basically, a man's already lost the moment he assumes someone is an idiot.
But hey vote blue and smash the Nazis at your 3rd mid morning cereal bar break or whatever it is you overpriced button pushers do to waste half your day.

> immediately loses to his own passage quote by immediately assuming I'm done liberal faggot
Kek.
Paraphrasing here, but didn't Sun Tzi also have a passage about when your enemy is making a mistake to step back and keep letting them do it?

yeah, you can. if you ever attended university you would realize that all breakthroughs in tech are just more of the same thing. it's just that we now can afford to have everything to be online in the cloud as a microservice because bandwidth is cheaper than ever. sure, you might need to use another meme framework in the future but fundamentally technology doesn't change that much. unless of course stuff like quantum computing or agi becomes a thing.
tl;dr - look up mit ocw lectures on computer science and git gud.

It seems he's one of those dumb faggots who refuse to upgrade, but then they are forced after several years after which he realizes he's in deep shit because everything is different.
Being an updooter may come with a lot of disadvantages but at least it keeps you in a loop

Attached: 26d[1].png (1398x683, 314.6K)

Yes, there's never ever been any point or purpose to attaching to a tool with "brand recognition" you product whore.
No, "great traits of history" is something that popped up because at one time you could have read an entire field's documentation and become a "polymath" and the industry provides comfortable ways of keeping up with it all the time.
The problem is when someone states the reverse, that you shouldn't trust yourself with your own information nor to learn how and just buy a product to manage your data because m$ or ellpul done it betterer.

Is even worse than that for front end js frameworks.
For frameworks like React we use to start over after shorter periods, sometimes even after less than a year because their immature software architect Dan Abramov used to change everything even after a few months.
And most of his fans alway say “thank you” instead than “f you”.
No long term support like other frontend frameworks and community is shit because the community don’t care if they are screwed or that their programming careers shortens so much because so much useless chance.

I got off the tech treadmill somewhat by becoming a "solution architect". It requires keeping a "light" knowledge of current things, which is fine, but I can leave the details to the engineers. I stay current on k8s and CI/CD stuff, since it seems like that's where the money's at these days.

Tell me what has replaced TCP/IP, Ethernet, AD/SMB, ATX PSUs, etc. in the last three years.