Why don't people accelerate their downloads anymore? What made people choose to have slow download speeds?

Why don't people accelerate their downloads anymore? What made people choose to have slow download speeds?

Attached: 51f64d290d78f864a11bce714fa762ac72a1c4128745843e80dbfde5cd209f54_800.jpg (915x800, 184.83K)

I do accelerate, for downloads from slow sites.

Thinly-veiled req thread

Adware, malware.
Its snake oil.

>in-application ads
gee i wonder why

>he doesn't colorize his email
ngmi

We are not on dialup anymore.

It uses multiple threads to download
It's usually faster because of tcp congestion and speed limits

how the heck does this work??
I tought downloads automatically filled up as much bandwidth as they could

SAY SOMETHING!

I used the shit out of Download Accelerator back in the day, 3000 years ago. The "acceleration" might've been snake oil, but being able to resume a download was a massively useful feature in the days of Internet Explorer and shitty dialup

this is why new generation has no sovl

it widens the tubes

It's not snake oil. In cases where your potential download speed is higher than what the server lets you download, it will increase the speed by splitting the file into many parts and downloading them simultaneously.

I think the idea was that it downloads from multiple mirrors at once so your shitty internet won't timeout or stall on any of the servers. It was a common occurence

Server-side rate limits and fair queuing guarantee's you won't eat up the whole servers resources.
It's snake-oil.

In most cases my ISP is the bottleneck anyway. My network is partially 10GiG but I can't go faster than their small gigabit pipe.

Pipes got wider. 99% of the time I don't really care if I'm downloading at 250mbps or 500, it's fast enough either way and most of the files I download aren't that big.

I always did and still do
Back in the dial-up and early broadband days I was with the GetRight gang, always found it much better than DAP
Nowadays I use IDM

Attached: getright.gif (600x400, 19.5K)

This. Just to be able to pause the download during the cable era was magical.

Bittorrent does everything the accelerators did but better

Kinda true except dead or low peer torrents.

It actually works from what I noticed.
But the main advantage is being able to queue up downloads.