I need help bros

i need help bros

i have a file that wont delete, cant be renamed, no matter what I do. I tried going into safe mode on windows and it wont delete. I tried using third party softwares specifically for either deleting or renaming files, and ive gone through mulitple restarts and virus scans.

There is nothing that will get rid of this thing off my desktop. I guess its what I deserve for saving a shitty soyjak png off the booru

Attached: waaaah.jpg (641x641, 38.9K)

Ctr+shift+Esc
Details
Force close the file
Then delete

Attached: 1614246462358.jpg (778x658, 95.58K)

Is the issue that the filename is too long?

Open Command Prompt (Win Key + R for Run Dialog, type in "cmd", hit enter)

Change to the directory of the file:
> cd C:\where\the\file\is\
> dir

dir command will list the directory contents. if you've got a long filename it should also display the shortened filename
>OMGILOVENIG~1.png OMGILOVENIGGERDICKSINMYANUSPLEASEINSERTMOAR.png

Use the del command with the short filename to delete it
>del OMGILOVENIG~1.png

try deleting system32

the file name IS retardedly long, but everytme i try to use cmd to del, theres a " - " in the middle and it thinks its seperate, and thus "cant find it"

install linux, that'll delete it

and does the dir command give you the shortened filename? have you tried using "del" with the shortened filename?

this is the fucking image by the way, i know, its pedo as shit but I thought it was funny until i realized I couldnt move it to any folder and that I couldnt delete it

Attached: 17124-~1.png (829x782, 573.83K)

Got a usb stick? Live boot linux then try deleting it.

I assume you can't change the file name to something without a -?

I've been on nix too long to remember the ins and outs of DOS but try the short filename. If the dash is causing an issue maybe surround the filename in double or single quotes.

> del '17124-~1.png'
> del "17124\-~1.png"

Failing that, maybe just try to "escape" the dash with a backslash.

> del 17124\-~1.png

this is what I get when I try it in cmd. Am I retarded or am I doing it wrong

Attached: fuck.png (1734x156, 15.11K)

Nixing that, if quotes don't work try a caret. Goggles says that's the DOS escape character, so maybe something like:

> del 17124^-~1.png

trying to rename it makes nothing happen. I try to change it and it just reverts back to the original name

It sounds to me that this file is more than just an image. You should be able to delete it through DOS though. I don't see why you can't unless it's somehow locked by your bios which I highly doubt

You're in your user folder, you can

> cd Desktop

To get into your Desktop directory. You could type the full path from where you are, like " del Desktop\filename.png " but I'd just get into the appropriate directory. Once there type:

> dir

This will list the directory contents (hope you don't have a fuckload of shit on your desktop). Scroll around til you find the file in the dir results, and hopefully its short filename. It looks like 17124-~1.png based on the upload above.

If the short filename has the dash, and if that dash is causing problems, try "escaping" it as I described above.

its gone, its finally gone

i surrounded it with airquotes and used the cd Desktop to change the directory so it could finally be deleted

Thank you so, so, so fucking much. That image has been a headache for half an hour and you've been a much better help than any shitty reddit thread or soulless "how to" article

I can't remember if it was ever covered in it, but libgen a copy of DOS for Dummies. Knowing how to use your "Shell", be it DOS, PowerShell, Bash or whatever, can give you a lot of power. You can do shit like writing a simple loop to prepend or append something onto all files of a certain type within a directory and the like. "Batch Scripting" for DOS.

Anyway, very welcome.
Glad you got it sorted.

Happy 4u

Attached: 1625926304260.gif (200x194, 36.61K)

Say I've got a folder of hundreds of spreadsheets and I need to add "FIRST_QUARTER_" in front of all the filenames.

In bash I have the mv command (move, but also used for rename)

> for x in *.xls; do mv {,FIRST_QUARTER_}$x; done

One line does it all. The syntax is a little different in DOS (I genuinely can't recall) but it'll probably use the ren command (which is the rename command) and it's own looping syntax.

I've watched folks go through and click each individual filename, retyping them one by one, for dozens of files before. I died a little inside.

Congration

Your fortune: Better not tell you now

Attached: c6b.png (1000x1000, 224.96K)