First day at work and it went shit

first day at work and it went shit.
it is byod so i brought my x200 and it caused some shit.
manager first asked 'are you going to be using that for work?' no shit i will what do you think i brought it for.
he starts telling me that the company can give get me a device if i want. i said no, i am happy with my x200.
i guess it wasn't an offer because he comes later bothering me about it again. saying he thinks it will be a really good idea if i use a company device.
the job is meant to be byod. i can use vim on the x200, it's got my setup on it, i know how to use it, it is all foss. i don't want a fucking work laptop.
in the end his tone changed and pretty much forced it upon me. now i'm going to be having some shitty dell laptop that i'm going to have to go through all the process of installing arch on etc. what a fucking waste of time.
why is the corporate world like this?

Attached: png.png (360x360, 124.79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bring_your_own_device
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Use dd to clone your disk retard, it's not like you compiled your kernel with exactly the drivers you need for your x200

What was your walpaper?
I NEED TO KNOW YOU DID NOT HAVE SOME FURRY TRANS WITH A 5-FOOT-LONG ERECT DICK.

jesus christ don't bring your ancient stinkpad into a professional work environment. IBM thinkpads aren't for people with jobs.

You're lucky you even have an option to install your own os

Should be trivial to install arch copy your dot files over

Whiny bitch

> non free bios
> non replaceable battery
> no trackpoint
> shitty wifi card that probably has non-free drivers
it's more than just having to install an os shit

I worked for 6months in a place where everyone was forced to work with windows.
To this day I still don't regret jumping out of that place. All of this because the "big guy" tried to learn linux, and failed.

Isn’t being given a company laptop an improvement over BYOD? If you don’t trust the WiFi card you could just put it on an isolated subnet, or use a cable.

Consider yourself lucky they’re not making you work in windows with their in-house IDE from 2003.

>who cares
>not your problem
>play with your own nipples
>use ethernet or have them buy you a better adapter
Just keep you laptop at work. I don't understand why the hell you'd want work stuff on your personal computer anyway. I made my company buy me a laptop cause I'm sure as shit mixing up personal and work stuff. When the end of the day comes, my laptop is closed on off to the side.

today in things that didn't happen. no company would even entertain the idea of letting you use a private laptop for work, dumbass. you would know that if you weren't a neet.

I've worked at a few places that have asked if I had a personal laptop that I wanted to use.

Shut up, faggot. My shit company corporate laptop has a sub-1080p TN screen and is locked-down to the point of requiring me to use a person system to access my client. Oh, don't like that? Just drive six hours each way to the client. On top of that, no company phone or even cell service reimbursement.
Jesus fuck I just interviewed someone who sounds like you, fuckin' waste of time to hear what a total retard he was.

Just install Debian Gnome. That will be faster and allows you to install vim and all the other shit as well.

>it is byod
Quit, your job is a fucking scam.

But x200 is ancient shit too.

Never mind I did not fully read your sperging, good that the company still offered you something. Should have accepted it, the x200 is shit.

what's wrong with the x200? its one of the only laptops that can run libreboot, has a removable battery, I can actually upgrade the ram and hard drive unlike modern crap

>he starts telling me that the company can give get me a device if i want. i said no, i am happy with my x200.
I would never use my personal device for work, that's retarded. Always take the company machine, burn it out and abuse it as much as you need for work, don't wear down your own stuff. It's also nice to have a separation between your personal life and work, I don't like mixing the two.

What's next? You're gonna tell us NOT to do unpaid overtime?

Core 2 Duo in 2022 is fucking ancient and terrible. Doesn't matter being able to upgrade the RAM or hard drive if the thing itself wastes 60% CPU just opening a web page. Battery life is crap too.

name one 'modern' laptop you can upgrade and repair to the extent of an x200, yeah maybe the x220 but then you lose libreboot. the x200 has more than enough power if u don't run some bloat

Wrong

Attached: 20220414_104729.jpg (2880x1401, 1.9M)

>wojak
>installs arch on work laptop
>trackpoint meme
>replaceable battery meme on work laptop
>expecting privacy on work laptop
>all foss meme
How did you pass the interview? I would reject you because you’re autistic. Now install Fedora, Debian or Ubuntu on that and start actually working.
BTW they made you a favour, you don’t need to pollute your laptop with dev packages. And don’t except good compiling or docker containers even running at 2gb lmao.

The x200 will take 8gb ram

>libreboot
big whoop. can it use ecc memory?

It's all worth it to use a shitty riced out tiling window manager with configs that could easily be backed up to github

nobody cares about that shit faggot, quit being poor.

>be me
>buy whatever I want in the current year
>repair? slow? buggy?
>throw it out and buy new shit
meanwhile retards like you spend their weekends "tweaking" their dotfiles

Yeah, but Core 2 Duo won’t compile so smoothly.
Nobody cares about your “upgradeable”, “repairable”, FOSS Stallman bullshit in real world.

Doesn't matter if you can "upgrade" your old notebook when you can't upgrade it's performance and generally only upgrade it with components all worse than what a modern laptop has to offer.

Also "more than enough power" no, I personally ran C2D until 2018 too. Definitely not enough power if you actually work on your notebook.

Yeah, I forgot
>tiling wm
Yet worse than it was

see

>first day at work
>so i brought my x200
and other imaginary situations dreamt up by the dumb neet

Literally the post I replied too you idiot.

what is so unbelievable?

Yeah, but you didn’t read it. What part of “enough if you don’t run bloat” you don’t understand?

that a freetard actually managed to pass an interview

No serious company or org would let you use your personal machine

why would byod even be a phrase then?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bring_your_own_device

I was bullied by a frontend dev at my job
he called my T540p a "stinkpad" :(

Who the fuck compiles on their own computer
Idk about op but when I did dev work that all was on a remote server in Kansas and my laptop was just a ssh client.