Untitled

news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-unveils-high-performance-990-pro-ssd-optimized-for-gaming-and-creative-applications

Attached: SamsungSSD990PRO_main1.jpg (1000x667, 203.02K)

>PCIe 4.0

Attached: Slowpoke....jpg (322x220, 10.08K)

>gayming

>PCIe 4.0

Attached: Wendy wow.webm (1108x842, 310.64K)

For me the jump from PCIe 3.0 to 4.0 (970 to 9080pro) wasn't even noticatble in day to day use.
So why bother.

It's only interesting for enterprise use anywasy.
>muh IOPS

why is it so expensive? when are SSD gonna be 1tb : $15

If it was 5.0 it probably incinerate
M.2 as a format is really at it's wits end, IDK why the DIY market has embraced it so hard.

Attached: 1661357755693.jpg (448x336, 27.03K)

>TLC

MLC is dead, get over it

So it only just beats the P41 for 30 dollars more for the 1TB

Great job Samshart

I haven't noticed much difference going from a 860 Evo to a 980 Pro. Most stuff still seems to be bottlenecked by CPU (even though it's a 12700k) or other things.

Samsung's claim that it's 4x faster than some "SATA SSD" at loading gaymes was probably calculated against Fattydove Racing or something of this kind.

>$309 for the 2TB

Still no affordable 4TB versions of these NVMe drives
Fuck you, the 2TB is quickly becoming the 720p of storage sizes.

The amount of heat modern SSDs put out is amazing, I've got a PM9A3 in an external 20 Gb/s USB all metal case (after a bit of dremeling, M.2 110 was just too large) and it gets uncomfortably hot.
M.2 is okay if the controller and flash all fit on the top side, but flash on the bottom of M.2 is fucked.

>The amount of heat modern SSDs put out is amazing
Temp on a tiny piece of silicon consuming 3w is not the same as heat output. The controllers run hot, but they aren't consuming much power, so they aren't putting out much heat at all.

Even if it's 4 times faster, it's 1 second instead of 4. Who gives a shit?

>The controllers run hot, but they aren't consuming much power, so they aren't putting out much heat at all.
Regardless of actual heat output it still means things run hot due to the constrained nature of M.2
It's part of the reason m.2 is all but irrelevant outside of consumers

Attached: U.2.jpg (2000x1125, 1.54M)

i am yet to see a game benefit from speeds higher than what sata ssds have to offer

I got an NVME 2TB last year. Forgot which one but it was WD...

I love how small and compact this shit is.

Attached: Screenshot_20220824-120510_Amazon Shopping.png (1080x2163, 423.38K)

Are PCIE 5 SSDs going to be pretty much high end 4's at first?

I have 3TB across two NVMe drives and I don't know why I'd need more, if you're gonna hoard shit you have HDDs and cheap QLC SATA drives.

yes, with slightly higher linear read

Usually when they upgrade the bus speed of an SSD you usually get a pretty decent jump in speeds.
Gigabyte was one of the first with a PCie 4.0 SSD and was already at 5GB/s