What is your experience with chromebooks? Looking at laptops to use for school and they're cheap af

What is your experience with chromebooks? Looking at laptops to use for school and they're cheap af

Attached: 1632114260465.png (1200x887, 754.95K)

it's an android phone shaped like a little laptop

mrchromebox.tech allows you to flash both the BIOS and the OS to Linux. They are incredibly cheap and easy. Just look it up on the chromebook at the store display before you buy it so you know the hardware name is supported by this dude.

But the ChromeOS itself? garbage. Everything's tracked by Google, the android app part glitches some apps, you can't install any real software, the shell is faggy with colors and dings and shit, and the install is not reminiscent of a common GNU/Linux distro. There are several partitions, 2 of which contain the kernel, and the others I never really figured out. The documentation is trash; made by children years ago and hasn't been updated since and yet it presents itself as if it's ready to go. there was this one time I tried to copy files from one HDD to another HDD and it took a long time, and copied all the file names over, only for me to discover later that they were 0-byte files! It lost my data in a simple copy operation!

It still has a 7-second boot time, though, so there's that relic from when Google was good. And it supports HTTPS. (haha! wow! Remember when infosec for the common man mattered?)

Thanks user, very useful information!

get an x131e
coreboot it
throw on xubuntu

Basically, if you don't give a shit about privacy, they're good for what they're designed to be which is an internet surfing machine that runs web apps well.

Make sure to get one with an actual ssd (not the cheaper ones with an eMMC drive), 8gb of ram, and a core-i tier cpu and it will be a butter smooth experience. ChromeOS is hyper-streamlined.

As of the past year or so, they've really polished it up and once you autistically hone the settings to what you like, it's nice.
Three-finger horizontal swiping allows for continuous tab toggling is the best thing to come out of chromeos imo

If you want to use linux, just put linux on a used laptop. Why would you buy a chromebook just to put linux on it? You can get cheap laptops all over ebay that don't require mrfagbox's janky ass work arounds

It doesn't run Android.

They are great if you install Linux on them and wipe Chrome OS which is quite easy in fact they support Core boot which is not 100% free software but like 80% better than normal laptop

There are no secrets here, friend
all is safe under the gaze of google

don't listen to all these weirdos telling you to use linux

On chromeos my chromebook was getting 12 hours of battery life
on linux it was getting 7

linux is bad for laptops

>7 hours
More than enough

It runs an android clone

literally isn't, but whatever

first of all privacy-freaks... internet itself is inherently spyware, always has been, always will be
unless you're a 9000IQ super hacker-supreme, then nothing you do is really anonymous, with all the backdoors in modern CPUs, even your keystrokes can be logged and accessed, just embrace the GOOGLE botnet BORG – you're too stupid to out smart or hide yourself from the five eyes glowgang and you're not important enough to warrant privacy

God sees everything
live transparently, you coward
what, are you ashamed of what you do on the internet?

Attached: wegwrbg.png (2256x1504, 3.24M)

No need to install Linux. There's a Linux Development Environment right out of the box. Just enable it in settings.

A lot of the cheap laptops on ebay and pawn shops ARE chromebooks

well its google so not great for privacy. but as pointed out, theres no way to be 100% private or anonymous online. i hear they have really good security tho. it depends on what you need from a laptop, but anything is better than a school-provided one with baked in basedware and content blockers.

have you considered getting a used thinkpad or something?

Botnet. Buy thinkpad and install Gentoo.

>chromebooks
Are they still a thing? I thought that fad died 10 years ago

Chromebooks were barely even a thing 10 years ago

i bought one for 40$ and put gallium os on it. works fine enough for school.