Beginning to realize I don't like source based distros

Finished installing Gentoo last night, except for getting the wifi firmware and proprietary Nvidia drivers to work.
The pic is my laptop compiling xorg-server, which pulled rustc as a dependency (my fault for not paying enough attention to the dependency list).
Just about the only thing I've liked so far is configuring the kernel to load Intel microcode at boot. My laptop used to run hot on Linux, even when idling, whereas now, even compiling Xorg, it's still lukewarm, and I assume it's because of the microcode (or maybe because the Nvidia GPU is unused without its drivers).
Anyway, not sure why people get addicted to Gentoo. Seems like kind of a pain in the ass to use. I knew what I was in for when I installed it, but only now do I realize that it's not for me. Don't install it if you're not ready for what it has to offer.

Attached: PXL_20220822_215318260.jpg (4080x3072, 3.21M)

would you like help with your wifi user

OP here, saging. Or maybe it's running cool because I have it on -j6, while the CPU has 6 real cores and 12 with hyperthreading, and since this is all it's doing, it's being underutilized. Either way, I don't care that much.

>My laptop used to run hot on Linux, even when idling, whereas now, even compiling Xorg, it's still lukewarm, and I assume it's because of the microcode (or maybe because the Nvidia GPU is unused without its drivers)
You do know that pretty much every distro autoloads microcode, right? Most embed it into the initrd.

Thanks. I think I've mostly got it, except one thing: how do you find out the correct iwlwifi signature to use? Is there any helper software?

freetard distros like Debian don't

I didn't know that. I'm not that knowledgeable lol, thanks for letting me know about this detail.

it's a fucking joke to run on a laptop because you'll burn a hole in your keyboard within 6 months

the benefits of gentoo are negligible for an average user. you won't see performance gains, nothing will feel snappier, no realistic extra security, etc. Unless you're putting gentoo on custom hardware or you love to burn electricity waiting for updates on your memestation, just run ALHP and Zen.

ifconfig
ip link
lspci
dmesg
If desperate your wifi card is on the gentoo handbook's page.

Beginning to think OP is a faggot. And a retard.

>rustc
that took forever for me like an hour or maybe hour and a half

Attached: 103.gif (500x533, 468.38K)

it's fun and it's cozy

Is thermal paste this hard for anons to apply?

You've thought correctly, I am. That's why I'm going to stop using Gentoo.

No, that's actually the smart thing to do. Gentoo is a complete meme. That should have been obvious from the start.

Thanks!

if you don't install new software very often, then once you're done with the initial set up you may as well keep using it. sounds like you've done all of the hard shit, may as well just finish

If I can get the drivers working tonight, I may try to use it for a week. But if not, I'm strongly tempted to just install Arch or maybe just EndeavourOS. EndeavourOS was the previous distro I used, and the drivers pretty much worked out of the box with minimal setup and upkeep, whereas I'm going to have to recompile and reinstall the kernel every time it updates here, and reinstall the Nvidia drivers. I don't see much advantage to using Gentoo instead, except for the freedom to choose between OpenRC and systemd. I only tried it because I wanted to get rid of junk by reinstalling Linux, and since I want to migrate to a more minimalistic setup anyway (i.e. tiling WM, only install the software I need, keep things modular, get rid of documents I don't use anymore, etc), I thought Gentoo would be worth a try.

xorg needs rustc now? Between that and chromium/gtk, I guess I'm never updating my computer again. That sucks.

Maybe it doesn't directly.

Makes sense. Guess I'll see the next time I feel like updating.

>source based distros
>laptop
lmao

rent an Azure or w/e it called