/fglt/ – Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ – Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
– Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: Desert-Color-Global.jpg (1920x1080, 679.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/N7tWIPYVTiw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is there any downside of doing LinuxFromScratch on a Virtual machine instead of hardware?
will I be missing something in regards to learning and stuff?

Attached: linpep.png (225x225, 5.61K)

Your estrogen levels will only spike by 200% not 300%

please

You could have set up LFS twice since you started asking this question and got your first answer.
It's an inane question to begin with, start working on it already and don't look for excuses to procrastinate even longer.
>should I breathe with my chest or my abdomen, is there any difference bla bla
Just breathe, for fuck's sake.

how to switch between GPUs if they are from different manifacturers? There is one AMD and one NVIDIA in my pc, I want to passthrough one to a VM but Alpine just took the later installed one and made it the active gpu. Every thread I found on the interwebs is about switching between intel integrated and NVIDIA which is apparently different.

Attached: 9c58619c75c28c0cd61193a52c1e34aa.png (754x1127, 347.07K)

I use Windows 10. It's cool OS.

Good for you, user.

Attached: 1611089060117.jpg (1024x1024, 86.95K)

just updated artix and after that rebooted and it broke everything. im getting error file /boot/ not found and error you need to load the kernel first how do i fix this

Attached: Glue.jpg (346x482, 57.63K)

From the old thread:

I have used ranger for some time now and only recently learned that mc exists. Any reason to use one over the other? Or nnn, for that matter? Ranger looks pretty bloated for just having a pretty file preview with w3m as the only difference, but maybe I missed its redeeming point?
Thanks to the user who pointed out the SCP capabilities of mc. Was hidden in plain sight, I was just retarded.

Can you remember what you updated? Sounds like you either messed up /boot/ or some other part of your filesystem.
Best option might be to boot up a live image and try to fix things from there.

You can try disabling the driver module of the gpu you want to passthrough and/or passing through the pci slot and not the card
Google "passthrough dual gpu linux", there's actually a fair amount of tutorials and videos on this for people that do VFIO

I'm pretty alright with ranger overall, though the small amount of time it takes to start up occasionally can be slightly irritating.
I've tried others like lf, fff and nnn and they basically do the same things but turn on faster with different keybinds, mostly thanks to lf being written in Go, fff being pure Bash and nnn being a mix of C and Bash.

virt-manager is based, got my gpu passed through without having to write some ridiculous config file

virt-manager should always be your VM go-to on Linux. Easily the best one.

too bad i cant just use the spice server to take advantage of the better performance. i only have a single monitor, so i have to reconnect my display cable whenever i want to switch screens

>reconnect my display cable
It's a friendly thread so I'll be polite, but why do you not connect both GPUs to your monitor and switch inputs with the designated button?

>but why do you not connect both GPUs to your monitor
its a 4k monitor with only a single DP input. although, it is only 60hz so i think the newer HDMI cables can handle that. i dont plan on using the VM very often so it's not a terrible inconvenience

followed this guide youtu.be/N7tWIPYVTiw did somethings different and tried to install kernel again but it says no packages were upgraded, even downloading another kernel doesnt show up. also when i first did that it worked and i booted it up but the mouse was stuck in the middle of the screen for some reason

Help me /jee/

Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings' does not contain a key named 'antialiasing'
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-08-21 09-04-47.png (727x341, 77.56K)

Anybody had any luck getting winetricks to work on Arch with vb6run? It downloads fine but (a) I get a checksum mismatch and (b) it crashes shortly after, saying that no application could be started or that no application is associated to the file (I'm guessing the setup file).
How do I remedy this?

Use AppImageLauncher to interact with AppImages

have you tried using a 32bit prefix? some programs crash until i switch to 32bit