I need to vent for a moment: either I'm a genius or every other programmer I encounter is retarded WHY DOES EVERY...

I need to vent for a moment: either I'm a genius or every other programmer I encounter is retarded WHY DOES EVERY SOFTWARE I GET TO WORK ON LOOK LIKE IT WAS WRITTEN BY A MONKEY??

Can someone please acknowledge DRY and its importance in software development?

Why is it when I google DRY all I see are articles trying to justify DAMP or WET programming as an excuse for their inability to think and optimize their code??

Why is "Tammy" telling me to revert my changes so the entire page is solely just a button that exports an excel doc??

An entire page that's just a button and a drop-down menu??

Why is the settings file that has the credentials for the databases not in the .gitignore??

Sometimes I just cry

When I vent about these things, people think I'm asking for help on a particular problem, I'm not, I just need to know that good programmers exist and I'm not losing my mind.

Every app I work on is made at the behest of a single client, someone with no experience in coding, and whose requests I have to follow because the software is being made specifically for them.

Absolutely no software would become viable if an end-user was chosen at random to steer its creative direction.

I feel like the only 2 options are to make a software myself so I don't have to listen to stupid requests from a particular client or my retarded colleagues, or find a company that's on-par with me.

I know I've mentioned it before but at the very least can someone acknowledge the importance of DRY??

Attached: Pepe_rage_1618974669524.jpg (1002x843, 146.3K)

"Don't repeat yourself" will byte you in the ass about as often as it helps. You will change something because some functional requirement changed and forget about the other consumers of that something and break things or create inadverted bugs.

sorry for the ESL mistakes I just finished masturbating and now Im posting on my phone while taking a shit

It's alright. You told the truth.

>"Don't repeat yourself" will byte you in the ass about as often as it helps.
Only if the language you're using lacks discipline and it creates macro hell
Outside of that - the only tradeoff is readability.
DRY is Kolmogorov compression, and is therefore more information dense and harder to read.

work on more technical things with low level programming and high iq people and not some web dev normie bloat

I hate when my programming is either creepy or wet personally

Most coders did the minimum to get a job and never think about code when they leave work. I'm with you user.

At the same time people (probably you) can get autistic about rules and best practices they read about in medium articles. Do your coworkers ship working software? If so they are probably ok

The client thing is way true. You know who else can't design software? Ux designers. think about all the most important software: internet, databases, etc. Could they have invented that?

>I need to vent for a moment: either I'm a genius or every other programmer I encounter is retarded
It's also possible that other programmers just don't care.

>Only if the language you're using lacks discipline and it creates macro hell
How come?
You can't always keep in mind all the consumers of the methods in a certain class when making changes to it. Even if you understand the functional requirements of all the consumers, doing that analysis and changing the method while accommodating to all those requirements takes more time than just having different copies of the same function. Unless you lose more time porting those changes to the other methods. But it's very hard to know beforehand how the requirements will change and whether they will diverge or change in a synchronous way.

Because TDD is not enforced

now tell me how i can really learn programming user

I know how you feel user. I agree with you that copypasting code is pretty much the single worst thing you can do when programming. Even a macro is better.

Come home, white man
Seriously though, look at this fucking thing. You can tell Windows default mail app is made by a bunch of pajeets with "time to market" mindset. This is why you hire a faggy Californian to lay out your software all nice and clean

Attached: 3e456e79ef32756aa7ecb01787fb154e.png (932x580, 153.07K)

Good programmers work in top 1% companies, and that top 1% companies have 1% top programmers. So yeah it's rare

Ask me how I know everyone you work with hates you

Attached: 1659379980637500.webm (270x480, 1.76M)

I will man, i will, once GPU virtualization becomes top notch and you can just boot up Winblows sandbox along with some distro freetard shit anytime you open another OS app, and achieve top notch performance with no downsides.

>Why is the settings file that has the credentials for the databases not in the .gitignore??
most people finish their CS undergrad without having touched git even once.

One monitor connected to a gaming pc with Microsoft spyware and one to 10-year old laptop running true freedom OS
Switch with one button. Done.

Attached: artworks-000415907772-8vekjg-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 55.36K)

>Learned to create algorithms with minimal time and space
>Nobody else I know does it or cares about it, “as long as it works it’s fine”
Why

Yeah, neither efficiency nor safety (strong typing, formal verification etc.) get rewarded in corporate.
All that matters in corporate programming is efficiency in terms of functionality per hour, how quickly you can churn out code no matter how shitty it looks as long as the client doesn't find the bugs too quickly. And nobody will ever give a shit about performance.

There are exceptions, of course. But people tend to mention how slow everything is only when the product has been finished and the production db has been migrated from the old software to the new one. :)
And by the time that happens nobody remembers who was the programmer anyway.

You do it for yourself, dumbass. Marvel at your creations. This is the fun of it.
I also recommend that you publish any interesting stuff online, but to each his own.

Let's be completely honest here: The code you're looking at is very likely a result of someone slapping together something that works, promising themselves to come back and fix it, and then never doing so.

It's way more likely everyone is a master procrastinator than retarded.

That definitely sounds like me, my friends and most coworkers that I've had.

Lmao half of the code I work with is littered with shit like
>// TODO would be much better to do X but I'm out of time, will fix later