NFS from fast machine or local on slow one?

I have two machines: an old, underpowered server and a new, overpowered machine I use as a desktop
I have multiple public facing services on the old server
I have a raid 1 on 2 4TB NAS drives in the old server (precariously placed; one is literally taped to the frame)
My new desktop machine has like 20 drive bay slots and a much better processor/GPU
Question:
Should I put the NAS drives in my desktop machine and mount them on the server over the network with NFS? I’m assuming the speed will take a hit (but might not because of desktop performance), but the drives will be safer and in the more poweful machine.
Thanks Any Forums

Attached: 67BC1937-2215-4837-A9B8-8359AF721A3D.jpg (1080x697, 254.77K)

Bump
Verification not required.

Yes.

Attached: 1631168925114.png (486x320, 231.57K)

what

Attached: 1630175845557.jpg (486x320, 19.93K)

yes damn what a thread

Attached: 1635354475044.png (543x676, 381.48K)

understand not

Attached: 1643754052008.png (323x327, 116.34K)

is my laptop libre? help me out Any Forums

Attached: 1654456904922.png (839x420, 647.18K)

the little boy...

Attached: 1652957117656.jpg (1333x2000, 323.29K)

Cool story user but should I move the drives

yeah crate im thinking its the kings yarn

follow your heart the little boy

Attached: 1633847879948.jpg (700x380, 67.57K)

>I’m assuming the speed will take a hit
If you have 10 Gbe, you're good. Otherwise, 1Gbe is barely good for reading from one drive, so if you JBOD, it may be just it. I squeeze 110MB/s from my home gigabit regularly, using smb and Samba as client and server.

Each server only has one NIC
This would be over a wireless connection
I guess I could compare current IO times on my server with 110MB/s that you get
My internet is okay like 200 or 300mbps I think

>I have a raid 1 on 2 4TB NAS drives in the old server (precariously placed; one is literally taped to the frame)
>My new desktop machine has like 20 drive bay slots and a much better processor/GPU
Wait, didn't read properly. So if you have RAID1 already, what's your speed? Anyway, if you run Linux on your PC and keep it on 24/7, it could work for the time being, unless you expand. Using UPS on that monster will be a bitch, so just know you won't be able to protect from power loss. If you run Windows, you better look into upgrading your server, because Windows RAID options are kind of limited, as well as server software options.

Important to mention that my desktop PC, the server, and my modem are like 5 feet away from each other
I don’t really know how to test max but running my main service (movie client) it got up to 1-4MB/s I believe
I do run Linux on my PC and it’s usually on.
Sometimes I have outages but only like 4 people use my service so it’s okay
Eventually I’ll get a better server (I’d rather use the main machine for a desktop and server but I want to keep them separate) but for now I just have about 3 preused low spec machines

Just copy a movie to your PC. Don't stream since it just consumes a necessary amount of bandwidth, but copy one big file.
>my desktop PC, the server, and my modem are like 5 feet away from each other
Connect them via LAN then. Get a switch if your modem doesn't have additional ports.

Copying a movie from my NAS drives (if that’s what you meant) to the server’s OS disk (SSD) I can get up to 150M/s
They are all connected with Ethernet to the modem

Also both NICs are gigabit (2.5 on the desktop PC and 1 on the server)

Alright, so at least we god the max read speed from the array with cache enabled. It's more than 1 gigabit alright.
> I do run Linux on my PC and it’s usually on.
You could do the opposite and present your drives as a share to the server and run services from there while keeping drives in your PC.

*got
Getting sleepy there, sorry.
>I’m assuming the speed will take a hit
But they aren't used by public services at 100%? You said the internet speed in 300 megabit/s, so it seems you'll be able to saturate the bandwidth even if the total transfer speed will be slower.

That is proposed plan. Keep the drives on my beefy PC and network share with the server
If I understand correctly, you’re saying that the required disk read is less than the network transfer speed so I shouldn’t run into any problems where it’s taking longer to load?