/hsg/ - Home Server General

i guess ill make the thread edition

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
Learn something new. De-botnet your life. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
RouterOS's: wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server#Custom
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Cheap disks: shucks.top/ & diskprices.com/

previous:

Attached: zj3jsjnun2h91.png (756x1008, 1.83M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/9Q2UCf1b
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks for the thread! To repeat my question from yesterday before the last one closed:
Anyone got a tip how to come up with hardware needs? I'd like route up to 24 machines via opnsense on a 1gig connection, snat, maybe ssh jumphost/vpn, but nothing fancy more. Is J1900(on hand) already good enough for that, or do I need more/is shelling out for pic related actually the most sane way to go about this?
>inb4 work
This is for a students workshop, nothing production critical. I'm just thinking about solutions that should just run once properly configured.

Any reason why my WRT3200AMCM with OpenWRT only gets ~750Mb/s to my PC?
My provider says I get about 1000Mb/s to my modem, but only ~750 to my PC.
I got a managed switch in case router struggeled with all ports being populated, but the result is the same.
Pic is my tiny network.

Attached: network_white.png (2530x2427, 132.18K)

>In my case I have an lo, wg0, and eth0 interface.
I have an lo, a tun0, and an eth0 interface
>docker logs
>Are you the user I shilled gluetun to recently?
Yep, it's me, dockernoob
>Maybe gluetun removes the network interface when it loses connection? I keep using an older non-gluetun VPN client image where the OpenVPN interface always stays there and qBit web UI is accessible even if connection is temporarily down. Check gluetun's logs in meanwhile, I'll probably try it myself in the evening and see how it does things when shit hits the fan.
pastebin.com/9Q2UCf1b

And I fucked up.

Attached: DEC2685_SQ-e1653384025824.png (779x779, 131.83K)

The more I look at it, the sexier this image gets. God I want to be a network admin.

i use raspberry pi cluster

pic related could be one part. Anything obvious like too long cable or overheating router?

Attached: 2022-08-17-174929-screenshot.png (868x939, 104.85K)

>Pic related
Thought about it, but even that person has almost 900.
> Overheating
Actively cooled (usually; currently waiting on another fan splitter).
> Long cable
Same cable directly to modem or even switch gives me 980 or so.
Could it be many port forwards? I'm worbarding 49152-65535 for coturn alone.

Attached: router.jpg (2067x2337, 1.46M)

Does anyone run Android based VM's? What image do you use?

Attached: 1611957572055.gif (498x280, 3.31M)

I've thought about such things but I really can't imagine what I would use one for. Especially now that WSA exists.

When using Jellyfin with Radarr/Sonarr, who deals with the metadata? I mean, Jellyfin seems to get it, as well as Radarr/Sonarr. Is it redundant to have all of them fetch it? Should one just select of of them to deal with it?

Excellent point, I'm still on win 10. Really, I just want to emulate task that *require* a phone. Spoofing the agent in a browser doesn't work.

Okay, tomorrow I'm migrating my raspberry pi OS from 32 bit to 64 bit. I have everything running in docker compose and I ssh into my server from my laptop.

Just making a checklist to get everything up and running easily, let me make sure I've got this right
>copy over .ssh folder
>copy over docker-compose.yml
>docker compose cfgs are stored on external HD, no need to do anything with them
so I just
>flash 64 bit system onto the pi
>assign static ip to pi
>paste ssh folder
>make sure to disable password ssh
>install docker and docker compose
>import yaml file
And that should be pretty much it, right?

I've set up WSA on two Windows 11 devices now, and so far I haven't even used it for anything other than experimentation with installing apps that require Google libraries like AR Services, but if you're trying to avoid using an actual phone it might be a good option for you in that case.

What x86 thin client is suitably powerful for a small 1 - 2gbps network? The caveat is that the throughput will be bogged down by Wireguard and Suricata, and I will certainly add other services and functions on top of that to it as I tinker around.

What's the most reliable pcie wifi 5 card for desktop?

There aren't very many good dedicated pcie cards for that, you want an m.2 converted in a pcie adapter board like pic related for the best results. I current use an Intel gig+ kit for like 25 dollars with this setup and it's pretty much perfect, no dropouts or driver issues. If you're just looking for an m.2 key wireless card then the gig+ kits are still really good, especially for the price.

Attached: 517gj7LlUWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (612x965, 37.11K)

ok, why do some pcie ethernet cards cost more than others?

my advice: dont be afraid to overdo it

nobody knows.
Use what you have, if it's not enough upgrade.
iperf from pc to server
plug in server and pc to router
iperf from pc to server
3 seps and you've narrowed it down to the isp
dont do it unless you have 64bit container images, most of them are 32bit in my exp
>wifi
>reliable
pick one.