I love Flatpaks, but I think AppImages are becoming increasingly based

I love Flatpaks, but I think AppImages are becoming increasingly based.

>AppImage for Windows applications using Wine
github.com/sudo-give-me-coffee/wine32-deploy
>Experimental AppImages using the experimental static runtime, enabling appimages being using regardless of the system LibC
github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/issues/877#issuecomment-1119956888

Attached: 1660794518551.png (200x200, 27.88K)

>flatpak appimage
Why? You can use the distro packages just fine if not better.

i like app images, because they work on their own, independently - as all programs that come bundled with libraries should. flatpak and snap are self defeating.

Appimages always were sensible. Flatpak has some shit that compiles but crashes after running some seconds on update.

IDK what the fuck they're doing with their software but thousands of other packages do not. Maybe they don't check if their sandboxing features are available because everyone surely uses fedora?

I always liked AppImages and felt like they were a step in the right direction for making Linux the system of choice. Perfect for normalfags looking for something similar but even easier than .exes on windows.

>AppImages are becoming increasingly based.
Based on what?

running an appimage should ask if you want to add it to your shortcuts

I think Flatpaks are pretty good too. I installed Flatpak in my sister's laptop with Ubuntu 16.04, and I installed modern applications on it without a problem. The fact that Flatpak apps share their runtime (not using system libraries) I see as a good thing. AppImages are convenient and have their place because they are portable.

Now, Snaps are the worst of the 2 worlds.

>emacs appimage last update was 5 yrs ago

emacs I would prefer to install on my system.

emacs, nvim etc.

wtf is thi? i looked at gimp
>updated Oct 05 2020

but if it's not in the distros repo you can go fuck yourself and either do it yourself

based

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-08-18 00-36-52.png (831x520, 67.25K)

They are cool, but now I want a package manager for AppImages so I can keep them updated.

Attached: 1507252364153.gif (540x432, 1.61M)

what if im in sri lanka jumgle without internet?

based on source

Appimages are slow even on a fast machine

>depends on distro glibc
OH NO NO NO NO NO NO

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-08-18 18-10-21.png (1553x1077, 408.29K)

ok glibcbros that was funny but im already feelin kinda bored... what abi feature shall we break next?

Attached: 1621807935401.jpg (225x225, 13.89K)

Emacs really needs to be installed as an OS package or hand compiled. It's a major part of GNU.

>AppImages
That's pathetic shit. It's a poor attempt by freetards to copy the convenience offered by .exe installers and standalone .exe apps that just werk. For instance, after downloading an appimage, you have to tell the user to chmod +x it from the terminal (or use one of the 10 different file manager interfaces to do it). No one wants to do that bullshit, they just want to download click and run. The "chmod +x" bullshit is inherent in the structure of Unix.
>Experimental AppImages using the experimental static runtime, enabling appimages being using regardless of the system LibC
Bloat
Lintroons keep saying how linux is so lightweight and whatever but at least on Windows the C library and all the main system components like user32 kernel32 and whatever are all shared unconditionally. On Linux you need to bundle a copy of Qt or Gtk, a C library, all your other libraries e.g. ones that you use to play video and audio or access the web. On Windows ALL that shit is already available on the system since windows XP and earlier so all developers use it and it reduces application bloat.
Soon Linux will be more bloated and slow than Windows and still not as convenient. Face it freetards, you LOSE.

Attached: nanami (4).jpg (1600x1000, 134.52K)