Supposedly fucking garbage

>Supposedly fucking garbage
>Actually lots of popular software is written in it
Is it that bad?

Attached: 455447477.jpg (800x452, 47.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mcmillen.dev/language_checklist.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any Forums literally shits in everything that you put in front of it. Like a dog. It doesn't matter what your question is

Attached: 1659424376033365.jpg (753x707, 84.67K)

Strengths and weaknesses, far from perfect.
Most criticism stems from the fact that people don't understand the tradeoffs of its design.
Concerning program architecture, it comes with a few restrictions that are often unfamiliar.
In my experience, those restrictions, when their reasons are properly understood, lead to better designs and designs that blow up in Go were shit to begin with.
So it's mostly people blaming Go for their own deficiencies with the occasional valid criticism getting lost in the mix.

I'm glad I learned it and it will serve me well, particularly for boring programs.

Any Forums and r*ddit like to shit on languages that are actually good, but they are actually in the minority when you compare it to people who actually have jobs.

Go has many positives that some people over look because it lacks expressiveness (which is good or bad), but really people don't care about because they just want to get stuff done. The shit people complain about is rarely the stuff that matters, but people complain about it because it is the only thing they understand.

Attached: boring go.png (820x1080, 174.26K)

i kinda liked the if err != nil shit so I'm very cool with it, some people have complained to me about the runtime of it but i would have no fucken idea about shit like that i'm just a codemonkey

Go is literally C but garbage collected. That's it

Being a widely used language doesn't mean it's not a bad language. Go isn't even that widely used, just more than most new languages. You can get things done and be well employed in PHP, Javascript, or fucking B, that doesn't mean they're well designed languages. Same for Go.

>Most criticism stems from the fact that people don't understand the tradeoffs of its design.
Now that's just wrong. Most criticism of Go is pretty well founded, and some relatively small changes to Go would have made Go a better Go. Go is explicitly meant for beginner programmers, but it has many unnecessary pitfalls for them that could have been eliminated. A beginner programmer, doing the most obvious and straightforward thing available to them, will leak goroutines. This in a GCed language, and without any reference cycles or anything fancy. Go is an embarrassment on a design level, if it had been 30-40 years ago it'd have been fine, but it was an ego project from a bunch of has-beens who peaked in the early 80s.

func main() {
result := make(chan int)

go func() {

>Most criticism of Go is pretty well founded
No. Yours is, though.

This was written by an idiot. Go has a small syntax with surprisingly complicated semantics. People like this think that because a syntax is small that the language must be simple. They are wrong. C is a simple language; it is not simple to code in C. Same for Go. It's "simple" to have slices act as both arraylists/vectors and spans, but it's stupid and wrong; not even C++ was dumb enough to do it.

Being ""simple"" also means it's exceedingly complex to fix things when they do go wrong. Look at Go's time package, it's absolute garbage. It is, bar none, the worst time package I've ever encountered and I used the old standard Java time package. They're the only language that packs wall time and monotonic time into the same struct, so times that are the same wall time are subtly not equal.

it was trendy for a short period after node.js became too popular and contrarians were looking for the next thing they could use to seem cool and ahead of everyone else

when people make new programming languages like Go, why cant they also make beautiful syntax like based Ruby?

>lang x is garbage

Attached: 1660570199571897.gif (300x300, 1.98M)

what do we use then?

>it was trendy for a short period
Literally gets more popular by the year

Use whatever to pay the bills. It doesn't matter, even using Go is fine, just don't confuse something being used with something being good or well designed. Learn the pitfalls, know them, and be aware of them. This goes for any language, but few languages are explicitly targeted at beginners and lie about their simplicity and ease of learning. Just as something being used doesn't mean it's not bad, something being bad doesn't mean you should never use it at the cost of leaving yourself jobless.

For hobby stuff where you have a choice? I mean, try some languages, see what you like. It might be that despite the poor design you still like Go for what advantages it does have, like fast compile times and a different expression of the function colours problem (it has not gotten rid of it, despite claims). Doing something in a browser for yourself? Typescript, Javascript if you want to entirely avoid node. Ignore the people screaming about trannies and give Rust a try. If you're using Qt do it in C++, anything else is pain.

Most languages are garbage, but few languages are truly garbage by the standard of their times. Go is garbage by the standard of its time.

g or Any Forums in general likes to look like hipsters. Whatever is popular is fucking dumb apparently.

based sensible poster

This. Any Forums opposes the current thing.

C# microshills seething in 3... 2... 1...

mcmillen.dev/language_checklist.html