/psg/ - Privacy & Security General

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say."
--Edward Snowden

>Recommended operating systems
General purpose: Fedora, K/L/Xubuntu, Arch Linux, OpenBSD
Privacy focused: Whonix, Tails, Qubes OS

>Recommended mobile operating systems
Android based: GrapheneOS, CalyxOS, LineageOS/DivestOS
Linux based: PureOS, postmarketOS

>Recommended browsers
Chromium based: Brave, Bromite, ungoogled-chromium
Firefox based: Firefox (w/user.js), IceCat, LibreWolf, Mull, Tor Browser
ffprofile.com
pastebin.com/dc53qN57 (embed)

>Browser tests
deviceinfo.me
dnsleaktest.com
privacytests.org
librespeed.org
d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html

>Advanced content blocking
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode:-medium-mode

>Recommended search engines
Brave Search, DuckDuckGo, SearX, Startpage

>Privacy oriented DNS
nextdns.io
quad9.net
adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

>Privacy oriented email
Disroot, ProtonMail, Tutanota, mailbox.org, StartMail
Cock.li, RiseUp (invite only)

>Recommended instant messengers
Signal, Briar

>YouTube front end
redirect.invidious.io
newpipe.net
freetubeapp.io
github.com/TeamPiped/Piped

>Proprietary firmware replacement
coreboot.org
libreboot.org

>Resources
privacytools.io
ssd.eff.org
haveibeenpwned.com
stallman.org/facebook.html
madaidans-insecurities.github.io
sizeof.cat/links
ryf.fsf.org/products
techlore.tech
pastebin.com/ZDnPVf1S (embed)

>Advanced Linux resources
madaidans-insecurities.github.io/guides/linux-hardening.html
eldritchdata.neocities.org
vez.mrsk.me/linux-hardening.html

Attached: 1631336551542.png (750x391, 519.78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/technology/website-taiwans-presidential-office-receives-overseas-cyber-attack-source-2022-08-02/
bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/exploit-out-for-critical-realtek-flaw-affecting-many-networking-devices/
archive.vn/T1hH2
archive.is/7ro3q
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/12499
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I am just mad that there are no good alternatives.
Yeah. That's just a consequence of these tech stuff being highly concentrated in these countries.
>Until decentralized alternatives get popular it's very futile.
This is a catch-22. I think there's merit in attempting to exercise your own privacy if you can.

is it a bad idea to type in random phone numbers when I go to the grocery store and use my credit card? I need to transition to using cash but its difficult. Can kroger even see my debit/credit card transaction data? how do I detach myself from it?

>Most independent websites are not compromised as of now, you just need to block third party scripts.
It's crazy how much of the web uses cloudflare. Even some of my favorite independent websites use cloudflare for "ddos mitigation." I really think that there should be a FOSS solution to what cloudflare offers.

Attached: 1649092416969.png (507x269, 15.32K)

>how do I detach myself from it?
Withdraw from an ATM and use cash? Why is it hard for you to transition to cash?

i meant how do I detach myself from past transactions. the receipts with my card numbers and stuff is sitting in random peoples accounts right now because i'm dumb. I'm starting to detach myself, but getting cash out is a pain in the ass since I have an online bank and the ATM at the grocery store charges $6 per transaction. the closest in network ATM is a couple miles away.

>Any Forums
>protonmail
>tutanota
>duckduckgo
>quad9
>firefox
>brave
>privacy tools
>signal
>tor browser

Attached: 1521856956355.png (650x650, 43.05K)

>i meant how do I detach myself from past transactions.
You can't. Just stop using card and only deal with cash from now on. Cut your losses by starting now.

>PrivacyTests.org
There's no way Brave is the most private browser, weren't they caught using telemetry a few years back? Same with DuckDuckGo recently.

>ITT: daily firecuck cope

Firecuck was raped years ago too, and is a sinking ship that gets less optimized, secure and open with every update. Don't lump me with those niggers.

reuters.com/technology/website-taiwans-presidential-office-receives-overseas-cyber-attack-source-2022-08-02/

does this escalate

bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/exploit-out-for-critical-realtek-flaw-affecting-many-networking-devices/

what about online purchases? I'd love to not shop online but I need supplies from ebay and other online stores from time to time. Would ordering in my parents names to their address be enough? they don't care and buy all sorts of shit online and use amazon hardware, etc.

Use Monero if you can. It is possible to buy through amazon, ebay, etc. using coincards. But if you are okay with using your parents name to protect your privacy then yes you can do that. Also, try buying local if you can. It also helps the people around you.

archive.vn/T1hH2
Taiwan is still Taiwan at the moment so I don't think so. Apple has been very nervous lately though. Doesn't even call Taiwan, Taiwan anymore. It's insisting that it's Chinese Taipei.

archive.is/7ro3q
>CVE-2022-27255 is a stack-based buffer overflow with a severity score of 9.8 out of 10 that enables remote attackers to execute code without authentication by using specially crafted SIP packets with malicious SDP data.
>They also shared a video showing that a remote attacker could compromise the device even if remote management features are turned off.
Spooky stuff.
>An attacker exploiting this vulnerability would only need the external IP address of the vulnerable device.
I guess being under double NAT has its perks.

From the about page at privacytests.org
>Full disclosure and transparency

>(Updated June 2022)

>This website and the browser privacy tests are an independent project by me, Arthur Edelstein. I have developed this project on my own time and on my own initiative. Several months after first publishing the website, I became an employee of Brave, where I contribute to Brave's browser privacy engineering efforts. I continue to run this website independently of my employer, however. There is no connection with Brave marketing efforts whatsoever

Kek. But at least provide the whole paragraph for context:
>I am committed to maintaining this website's accuracy and impartiality. It is my goal not to promote any browser here, but rather to offer objective test results for all browsers that encourages a general improvement in privacy across the industry.
>By keeping this project fully open source, I endeavor to provide the maximum possible transparency and verifiability of the tests and results. Anyone who wishes to check the results can clone the git repository and run the browser tests independently. Ideas for additional tests, or code (pull requests) for additional tests that provide further insight into browser privacy, will be gratefully accepted.

Attached: 1647219861971.jpg (1148x1406, 1.05M)

Hi, /psg/. I have some advice to ask regarding privacy and security, but not so much anonymity.
I have no reason to be anonymous online most of the time, typically what I do couldn't be used to incriminate me in some way. Perhaps my employer seeing me typing NIGGER on Any Forums would be bad, but I don't even do that.
However, I do like my privacy, from my ISP, and from FAGMAN. I know that's relatively simple to achieve, so here are the steps I've taken so far:
1) Host system: Debian
2) Storage encrypted on install, LVM with LUKS
3) Using firefox for clearnet browsing, with ublock origin + https everywhere
4) Using whonix on virtualbox for basically 99% of my browsing activities (clearnet activities are basically only for work communication and torrenting)
5) If I have to browse youtube I use some invidious instance. (I don't use any other FAGMAN services on whonix)

Are there any glaring flaws I missed? Is this enough for avoiding tracking, i.e. privacy for a regular Joe? Do you recommend any changes? Btw, I don't use just the bare Tor Browser on debian cause Whonix will mitigate any security issues in it to prevent IP leaks, afaik; although I'm up for using only the Tor Browser if you think perhaps that just using Whonix itself could be suspicious or incriminating, regardless of my actual intentions (keeping my activity private, not anonymising my activity).

Yeah, I was being an asshole, cause I don't trust the guy. Still I should have posted the whole paragraph.
This is what Any Forums does to a man. Sorry for my deception, user.
But about Brave: I don't know why I'm so suspicious of it. Like, how are people not bothered that the engine used by it is made by G corp? Idk... But since people keep pooping on the trannyfox browser, doesn't it make sense to use Librewolf instead of Brave for privacy reasons? It has less gimmicks, relying on in system modifications of existing options, so it has less stuff that's possible to break.
Quite a layman's take, but that's just my humble opinion.

>Debian
systemd still relies on Google for DNS and NTP: github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/12499
I suggest trying a distribution without systemd.
>Using whonix on virtualbox for basically 99% of my browsing activities
Whonix in virtualbox sounds pretty overkill to me. But it's good if you're trying to establish plausible deniability. I think what you should really think about at this point is your personal OPSEC. It doesn't matter how overkill your setup is if you mix information between the two identities.

yeah I do always try to buy something locally first but i often need some weird shit that can only be found on ebay or amazon so it's a real pain. I don't mind paying more to get something locally, and target price matches amazon but there are items i need that can't be found locally from time to time.