/rg/ - Router General / Home Networking

For all your home networking needs.

Why have you guys been so lazy in updating your OpenWrt firmware?

Optimal routers for OpenWrt: openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128
OPNSense: opnsense.org/
PfSense: pfsense.org/

DD-WRT: dd-wrt.com/
FreshTomato (Broadcom only): freshtomato.org/

Previous:

Attached: 10659-1.png (692x692, 252.46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128
opnsense.org/
pfsense.org/
dd-wrt.com/
freshtomato.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is Asus so popular? They still use broadcom chips

Attached: 1642430195168.jpg (1379x1000, 309.31K)

Does anyone do geo blocking?

I just use my ISP's router with a custom firewall. It just works.

Hello, I've got a shitty noob esl question. But first tl;dr.
My family has wired internet connected to a wi-fi router already. I'm NOT the tech guy, the tech guy is my brother and he forbids me to do shit with his router. I get the reasons but it's become a pain in the ass for me.
College starts soon, so I'll get enough money to pay ISP to get another Ethernet wire. Have an old cranky router too just waiting to be used.

But I'm not sure if it's okay to do two internet wires in same appartment. Is it? I really don't want to fuck up our electricity wiring or my brother's setup.

houses can't have more than one internet wire user. Building code limits all homes to one singular wire. That said you might not be able to convince the ISP to sell you another connection. Why not just hookup your router to the existing wireless router?

what are you trying to accomplish?

I've had VDSL, cable and ethernet connections all at once in apartment though, and I guess I could've plugged a 4G modem in there too

but yeah, odds are your ISP isn't going to get you any more connections, just get an ethernet cable and ask your brother to plug it in the router for you and set it up if it needs something to get basic internet connectivity instead of your own isp connection entirely

How well does openwrt run on a nanohd?

>For all your home networking needs.
>
>Why have you guys been so lazy in updating your OpenWrt firmware?
>
>Optimal routers for OpenWrt: openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_16128
>OPNSense: opnsense.org/
>PfSense: pfsense.org/
>
>DD-WRT: dd-wrt.com/
>FreshTomato (Broadcom only): freshtomato.org/
>
>Previous:

> (OP)
>Why is Asus so popular? They still use broadcom chips

>

>Does anyone do geo blocking?

>I just use my ISP's router with a custom firewall. It just works.

> (OP)
>Hello, I've got a shitty noob esl question. But first tl;dr.
>My family has wired internet connected to a wi-fi router already. I'm NOT the tech guy, the tech guy is my brother and he forbids me to do shit with his router. I get the reasons but it's become a pain in the ass for me.
>College starts soon, so I'll get enough money to pay ISP to get another Ethernet wire. Have an old cranky router too just waiting to be used.
>
>But I'm not sure if it's okay to do two internet wires in same appartment. Is it? I really don't want to fuck up our electricity wiring or my brother's setup.

>J@@@@@YYY@@#@#$@ LOU@I@I@#SSS W#IRWI!!!I$$#NNNN IS REFUSINGNGGG TO DELETETETE SHILL POSTSS COME HERE FOR MORE INFO

Attached: hitler.png (745x578, 210.17K)

Attached: gnome_birthday.jpg (790x676, 139.6K)

> houses can't have more than one internet wire user.
Well.
This sucks.
>Why not just hookup your router to the existing wireless router?
Again, /tech/ illiterate here - I doubt very much port forwarding will work if I do that with the existing router in the middle (and I'll stay brainlet if I don't experiment with them ports), nor will I get a static ip address to host my personal git server.
Does it mean I have to buy a VPS and set it up as a router of sorts?

Get a git and mail servers of mine, open some ports for trying out peer networks (pure curiosity for altchans, I'm no criminal), setup a firewall to btfo adds, stop to slow down brother's work if I happen to download big files, experiment a bit.

Anything regardin ports I would first try out in a vm network tho. I know it can be dangerous.

Did 0 research and bought a C7 just to try openwrt. Not too bad but it can't handle a 1gbps internet connection out of the box. Quite sad desu

>pfSense running on a FX-8350 with 16GB of RAM with Suricata and ntopng
Works well with my 500/500 connection

any resources on OS independent vectors for pen testing routers?
hardware issues etc?
I'm getting ready to buy a more advanced one but user wrote "it is not secure". Just wanna know what could be the reason besides business.

There was some guys website where he reviewed routers and talked about the best ones to buy for open wrt or whatever foss custom firmware, its not the guy that did a bunch of testing and articles about MIMO.
Anyone know who im talking about? i first saw it linked in a router thread.

They have a nice interface out of the box

Is Linksys better now?

>Is Linksys better now?
The new linksys router where a shitshow on release, linksys just announced they would have open firmware without ever working with the foss community at all. It was a shitshow for a very long time but there is currently a very good set of up to date custom openwrt builds available for them that i have been happy with.

I put dd wrt on my asus ac87u and I don't even know how to correctly set up the PPPOE settings, then I tried setting it as a client (bridge) so I could connect my PC via ethernet to it while it connects wireless to the router, couldn't do it with dd wrt
Help, bros, I've been filtered by a shit ton of savvy tech terms and little info (for GUI setup)