/ham radio general/

Any hams in here?

I just passed my technician exam on Saturday and I'm waiting on my call sign to be issued. I find the tech pretty interesting in that it is p2p and decentralized. Although, I don't see it having much practical use outside of an emergency situation.

I'm interested to see if there's any others using ham and what you're doing with it.

Attached: best-handheld-ham-radio-for-survival.jpg (1000x667, 46.04K)

I stopped fucking around with that shit about 7 years ago. The ham radio community is toxic. The emergency thing is a larp. There's never any meaningful traffic in an emergency. Stick to marine VHF and setting up a mesh network for something like atak. We use atak for block watch along with a few drones. Not once have we ever thought to use our shitty 5w radios. Not when we're stalking meth heads carrying away all my moldy beer cans I would've given them if they had asked. Now they shall know fear.

i broadcast without HAM license and there is nothing you can do about it
i have transmitter vans on the streets always moving never catchable

A ham loicense gives you permission to set up high power mesh network links (see aredn).
Main problem is the ban on encryption so no https, no ssh, etc.

Is there a ban on encryption in the UK as well?

wow nice, you saved about $15.

I thought it was a fun learning process desu. I learned a bit more about electricity and RF, along with general communications knowledge.

Yeah I'm not sure the practicality of it vs larp. I did travel recently and a bunch of cars had mobile ham stations because cell service was nonexistent in many areas. I thought that was cool and is what sparked my interest. But where I live I have cell service everywhere so it's not super practical.

hammers will always try to make it about the price (wow it's free) or the skill level required (wow it's so easy) while ignoring any other arguments (you need to pay for a po box, you need to dox yourself in every transmission, in the US guns don't require a license but you need one for a silly 5w radio, etc)

I have baofeng but I only use it to talk to random construction workers and airsoft people.
Radio communication is very interesting, and I've done a lot of experimenting with digital rf comms, but I cant stand the ham community. They are like a strange blend of the worst normalfags and the most insane autists.

There's legal ways to encrypt.

Whackers are the worst. They will dress up like security guards and harass people who match the description on their police scanners and show up to traffic accidents to stand around talking to people.

Encrypted communicatiom on ham frequencies are illegal everywhere. Nobody will care as long as you dont cause direct interference though.
I've heard people play annoying music for hours on ham repeaters and there were absolutely no consequences despite the threats.

> calls radio P2P
radio is NOT PEER TO PEER.

>decentralized
an absolute genius here. however: it's not decentralized when you need to use a fucking repeater just to reach far distances.

> I just passed my technician exam on Saturday
how? you're literally fucking retarded.

on all public channels, globally, encryption is "illegal" and you need to buy a special license. even then, you are limited to very tiny key sizes so glowing niggers can easily decrypt it.

even then, you are limited to very tiny key sizes so glowing niggers can easily decrypt it
Depends on country. My country has no such restrictions on private bands. Private companies usually use 128bit aes.

Such as? No there isn't.
In the US anything that obscures the meaning of the transmission is banned.

>Private companies usually use 128bit aes.
not too bad.

I thought about buying cheapest baofeng to listen to military comms in my area (news are silent/lying about happenings and their comms are unencrypted), but I did not research a thing and have no idea how would I find their channel over 8k available ones.

radio is indeed p2p. It is decentralized unless you use a repeater. I'm not sure what you are on about regarding the exam.

encryption depends on country

ask here

Where does this happen? My local scene is just older guys who use it to prep for hurricanes lol.

>i have transmitter vans
>transmitter vans
>vans
It is unlikely you have even a single van.

Cold ware rules make that entirely unlikely.

The HF band lets you reach intercontinental distances.

You need an SDR and a good antenna. Thats the only affordable way to inspect a huge bandwidth.