Handmade hero

thoughts on this guy's project? i'm gonna check it out when i have time, wondering if anyone here has before. handmadehero.org/

Attached: hh.jpg (1280x720, 103.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

handmadehero.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> pre-order a game that isn't even finished
am i reading all of this right: game isn't even made, doesn't start until november, and they're already asking people to put in preorders?

Sounds like video games for the last ten years.

Why are you so confused? It’s just one dude. It’s pretty neat to see someone doing something different, even if he has the same preorder stuff as the rest of the industry

i don't really care about the game at all, i care about the programming walkthrough

it's handy (handicapped)

unfortunately.
>It’s pretty neat to see someone doing something different, even if he has the same preorder stuff as the rest of the industry
nobody should be preordering unfinished titles. you have a final product? sell it. trying to mimic the rest of the cancerous game industry doesn't magically make it OK. it's still a garbage practice no matter who is behind it.

>handmadehero.org/
retard read the fucking site, its pre-order to support him working in public and making game design lessons using the game as his example.
most of the people pre-ordering are buying / supporting his game design coursee

Big companies have trust so they can do preordering. Nobodies that do preordering have a higher rate of scamming.

>him working in public and making game design lessons using the game as his example.
This, from my understanding, this guy has been making this game for a few years and making videos about every step because the point of it is to show him doing everything from scratch.

>thoughts on this guy's project?
>No source code available
To the trash it goes.

i'll bite

casey is a good programmer but the series is way too long and while you'll probably learn a lot it doesn't really reflect how many things are done in the game industry these days. also him littering his opinions on software development everywhere and not really going over different ways of doing things is counterproductive to learning.

also everyone has said this but if you just wanna make vidya you don't have to take such a low level approach like he's taking, you could just use unity/ue4/godot/whatever. but it isn't bad to do that either, you'll learn a lot more, however there's better resources (mainly books) for learning low level game development that you can go through way quicker than handmade hero

His windows API tutorial in the beginning is already worth it because there's no fucking resources anywhere for that shit, especially ever since MS nuked the old version of MSDN.

Also, the C intro lessons are the best introduction to programming I've ever seen.
I'm now convinced it's malpractice to teach people programming without making them open a debugger and inspect program memory.

>its pre-order to support him working in public and making game design lessons using the game as his example.
then that's completely misleading and highly manipulative. i was right to ask questions about it. it's worse than i thought. if this faggot wants shekels to make a game that may or may not ever be released, kickstarer works. patreon exists for this very reason.

>this guy's
you mean yours?

>His windows API tutorial in the beginning is already worth it because there's no fucking resources anywhere for that shit
are you seriously this retarded? one of the world's most used operating systems.. no fucking resources? you are mentally challenged.

Actually user, finding a win32 programmer worth his weight on salt is neigh impossible these days.

Zoom zoom need video

The official MS documentation itself is bad, outdated and often wrong, so nuff said.

Proprietary programming knowledge is mostly institutional.
There's no good graphics programming resources either, despite video games being a huge industry. Because people who actually work in the industry don't make educational material, while those who make tutorials are FOSS trannies who have never shipped anything, so their tutorials are full of mistakes and 10 years out of date techniques.

>wants you to buy game that wont even be in early access til november
yeah, thats gay.... he cant even give you some "demos" to waste time in and give feedback on?
if you autists (and zoomers) didnt have (daddy's) money to spend, shit like this wouldnt happen.

Buying the "game" gives you access to full source code.

Offer more money and you'll literally get hundreds you cheap nigger

My company will pay a quarter million dollar salary remote and still can't find anyone worth a damn. It's just me for the last 4 months.