Trying to learn electrical engineering for fun so I can build my own electronics

>trying to learn electrical engineering for fun so I can build my own electronics
>90% of it is memorizing formulas and solving complex mathematical equations
Why is it like this? Software engineering requires basically 0 math, so why is there so much in EE?

Attached: hqdefault-14.jpg (480x360, 33.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_j7xuas0Zwg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because software engineering isn't real engineering.

Software """engineering""" is for brainlets

You can't even design a toilet without considering putting software in it. Cope more

>Software engineering
requires a shit ton of discrete math skills to qualify as "engineering" and not "some slop i cobbled in python"

Are you trying to make complex PCBs, or just have fun with hobby electronics?
If you want to learn hobby electronics, go on youtube and look up any number of project guides.

the issue with electronics is that practical electronics is based on making a lot of simplifying assumptions that obscure the underlying physics (maxwell's equations), and without mastering the basics and understanding why those approximations are good everything seems super unconnected and complex.

1) the maths in EE isn't hard
2) proper software engineering requires p high level maths

I want to learn all the knowledge required to know how complex pcb's work (both analog and digital) so I can modify and repair them if I wanted to, and build things from scratch too.

One is a buggy mess with patch workarounds the other has to work or billion of products go to waste

>Software engineering requires basically 0 math
I still did linear algebra, calculus, statistics, some discrete math and some theory of computation to get my SE degree though

You don't have to memorize anything if you know what you are doing.
t. mathfag

India has thousands of software engineers for every toilet, check-mate.

ee is applied physics. Turns out laws of physics is a lot of math. Coding is applied computer science. There is a lot of math in cs too, but you don't need all the cs theory to copy and paste code and use other people's libraries.

Based ilectureonline enjoyer

lots of things are harder than software "engineering" and yet they often get paid less. this world makes no sense user, get used to it.

>2) proper software engineering requires p high level maths
the kind that earns +150k a year doesn't

Software engineering does have math, but it's discrete math so that means much less calculus and diff eq which is what most people find hard in engineering.

Why is this?
Because computers run at a fixed speed and transition between states "instantaneously" whereas electronic components transition continuously between states over time, so when you have systems that involve hysteresis then it gets a little crazy to think about without some math to model it.

>90% of it is memorizing formulas and solving complex mathematical equations
You're doing it wrong. You firstly have to contemplate on fundamental theorem of engineering: approximations. In engineering you shouldn't care about being autistically rigorous like mathematicians, you only need as much detail as application requires. There is no point in completely deriving circuit equations just to then slap 5% resistors in your circuit. Just use your intuition to ignore and simplify. I know this can be hard sometimes, but you just have to let go of this itch to really understand what's going on because if you care too much about that you should have picked physics instead. Don't be afraid of lookup tables, graphical methods, quick back of the envelope calculations and just imagine being a EE boomer like in pic related.

Attached: c.png (886x387, 99.29K)

In what case scenario would this pic matter?
Aside from precision based engineering like a rocket going to space? I doubt this is needed to make a dumb microwave.

Interestingly, this is how I see it. Just take simple, well documented components, build a circuit, and basic ohms law to make simple calculations and you're set.

This is how I see it, its complex math that only smart MFs need to know. Difference skill level between a structural bridge engineer and an engineer designing a house, different problems with different levels of skills and applied mathematics

Lmao no it doesnt. Im EE and finished the "math' from the SE program by second semester. Intro to discrete mathematics and some equations fornalgorithms and data structures oh wow such a shit ton. This is from the governmwnt accredited SE programs that will permit you a real Engineer title in canada and much of the US btw not some shithole uni from idaho. CS unironically has heavier math

If you think SE has a shitton of math its because ur a mathlet. U woulf literally break down from 1 term of EE

Brainlet. That pic from OP is the ABSOLUTE BASE of the kind of math needed to engineer a proper microwave without murdering someone.
U are dunning kruger embodied.

>a lot of simplifying assumptions that obscure the underlying physics (maxwell's equations)
Wait until you realize that Maxwell's equations are also approximations of reality. You can go one step further and deal with quantum electrodynamics, but even that is not a complete description of reality. Even if one day there exists a perfect description of reality almost nobody is going to understand it. At this point its better to think of electricity as IRL magic and just pretend that it comes from some spirits or something that you can manipulate with magical crystals and grimoires (application notes) of ancient knowledge.
youtube.com/watch?v=_j7xuas0Zwg