I bought a Korg b2 keyboard and I know nothing about piano...

I bought a Korg b2 keyboard and I know nothing about piano. What are some bad habits I should keep an eye out for and some advice on where to start, how to start, etc.

Attached: 3f892c383be78dcbe0d2a29dd4281bf7_pc.jpg (1540x756, 582.33K)

Don't try to force yourself to learn music above your level through muscle memory, and dont play incorrectly (the first will lead to the second). Take it slow. if you cant sy a bar do it slower, dont keep doing it until you get it "right". muscle memory is vital to learning piano and you will hamper yourself and make it much harder to actually play if you get into the habit of playing something incorrectly. this generally means building up from scratch, all the way from mary had a little lamb. repertoir exists for a reason, scales etudes ect give you the muscle memory to apply to more advanced pieces. you CAN learn something above your level and struggle and improve, just be very careful that you dont find yourself repeating a mistake over and over while trying to brute force the muscle memory in when its just too hard. i promise you will regret it.

There aren't really any bad habits that I know of, just practice and be patient, it takes a long time to learn piano,I was classically trained as a kid and fucking hated it, hours of scales, fucking avoid that shit and you will love it, I got to grade 2 when I was 11 and once I could read sheet music I loved it but I've forgotten most of it and always wish I could still play, definitely do it OP it's a cool skill to have. That's a sick keyboard too.

buying a Korg B2 is a habit you should avoid

avoiding scales is a habit i would avoid.

Attend your local Polytechnic and learn from them.my cousin had a friend of a friend who went to the Polytechnic and it changed their life forever

dont do what this guy said. not necessary and more trouble than its worth.

should have bought a keyboard controller
hook it up to your computer, download a free daw like reaper and download loads of free plug-ins for piano, synths etc

I got a free trial with skoove so I'm gonna give that a crack but my main worries are stuff like posture, positioning, etc.

I was gonna try songs I already enjoy like stuff from Maplestory or Minecraft or cruel angel's thesis cause I figured "if I know them, I'd be able to play them a bit better" but I'll try to stay slow and easy. Should I practice songs or do exercises and stuff? I don't wanna practice songs for them to be muscle memory, I wanna actually learn to play piano

I specifically only want to learn skills that transfer to grand piano.

these days any piano has midi so he could still do that.

Also yeah this. The piano doubles as a midi controller

I meant aviod classical training, It's outdated and boring it's literally the worst way to learn.

Im not a keyboard player, I play guitar, but I guess just learn basic concepts of music theory, maybe smoke a bit of weed every now and then, get that creative juice flowing, suck a dick and turn yourself gay so you can be more "creative" and yeah, study not textbooks but what makes a song stick to you. What melodies are being sung? How do they sing it? What makes something memorable? What makes something catchy? What makes something asinine? What makes something heartfelt? What makes a catchy melody feel plastic and fake? What makes a catchy melody able to be listened to over and over? What makes a chord sound like it shouldnt belong but it fits perfectly and if they had gone with the chord that on paper should sound great, it honestly would have been made bland?
I dont know man, study not only the theory/head in book stuff but listen to more music, listen to the music you already listen to, really read between the lines but with your ears. While still being diligent in understanding the basic building blocks of music and going drom there

I dont know much about classical stuff but some of it is pretty innovative, even by todays standards they were just on another level man. Not op btw, passacglia by handel is mindblowing every time I hear it

>suck a dick and turn yourself gay
that's THE most important part.

your daily regimen should include:
All major and minor scales
a warmup or exercise for your level/concept or technique you need to work on
sight reading
then whatever music you want

Its very important that you actually enjoy playing, actually playing songs is important from start to finish or else you will hate playing, but so are scales and exercises, as they are the training you need to move on to harder and harder music. One step at a time, dont rush yourself. good ol classical songbooks are great for learning. i personally generally have 3 "songs" or pieces im working on, one being an exercise i want to incorporate into a possible warmup, basically a technique piece. Then a song from classical repetoir, then a piece from something I really enjoy, like anime games ect. I think if piano is for you, you shouldnt ever feel miserable during practice, but frustration is normal. starting with minecraft bgms for your fun practice is probably simple enough. a big frustration early on for me was wanting to play pieces outside my skill level and having a hard time finding ones easy enough, but if you love piano you will learn to love the exercises that come with learning technique

No. I see why you didnt make it past grade two. Its important to play music you enjoy but music designed for pianists by pianists and a classical repetoir is important for growth.

this is the worst thing you can do as a pianist. maybe as a guitard you can enjoy playing chord progressions and think you are a musician, but being a pianist even as a hobby requires textbook understanding and technical skill and knowledge that music books will give you.

I'd recommend the hanon exercises, they teach your fingers proper muscle memory.

>playing chord progressions and think you are a musician
There are actually a lot of musicians out there who don't know what the fuck they're doing but are still great song writers and improvisors. That doesn't mean knowing music theorie doesn't make it easier, I'm just saying you don't have to know what you're doing.

also op, muscle memory is important as a pianist and is the foundation of playing any instrument. i get what you mean by "not wanting to muscle memorize songs", but realize that every note you play and movement of your hands will be ingrained into you and you will be able to replicate it when you see it in different contexts, thsts what we mean by "learn good muscle memory through exercises"

>smoke a bit of weed every now
Op here. Stopped reading there

Noted all of it, thanks a ton. I have absolutely no clue about music theory other than reading notes and some symbols but I'll check all that out. Any resources you'd suggest? I've practiced a bit before it kicked the bucket and I had to get it replaced but I genuinely this instrument