/hsg/ - Home Server General

smol and beeg edition

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense/pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
Learn something new. De-botnet your life. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
RouterOS's: wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server#Custom
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Cheap disks: shucks.top/ & diskprices.com/

previous:

Attached: PXL_20220807_005918565.jpg (1468x1955, 561.08K)

Other urls found in this thread:

canakit.com/raspberry-pi-400.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for /big/ mafia mogs /tiny/ gang

So what dictates the speed of your ZFS ARC?
I know my HDDs are limited to ~1.1GB/s but if my dataset fits in the ARC shouldn't it be faster? or is it a CPU limitation?

Attached: 1638514042704.png (446x279, 13.31K)

prove it

(i just got a free 1TB 2.5" SSD with my latest Tiny purchase)

as if i cant get 12x1tb ssds free with the purchase of an r720

How many GBs/TBs of data on your home server is important and worth backing up? So exclude torrents you can redownload, exclude other stuff you can fairly easily recreate, exclude backups (because you have a primary copy on your other devices), etc.
Mine would be around 500 GB, if I excluded some source videos for a completed movie that I can't let go of, it would go down to 150-200 GB. Most of it is family photos.

about 20gig

Maybe the network protocol you're using is bottlenecking you?

IDK, using Truenas and SMB with multichannel.
Highest thread usage according to truenas was 47% while total CPU utilization is ~25%. This is with a 4690K.
I'm not familiar enough with samba to really know if it has it's own limitations. I know SMB in general is capable of being faster, I've ran RAM disks on Windows server and gotten 1.8GB/s before.

>ISP fucked something again
>1 Gbps download, 0.1 Mbps upload with some packet loss
>they acknowledged my report and did nothing so far
symmetric connection, my ass

Attached: hsg.jpg (837x960, 127.65K)

How would I go about having 2 WiFi networks on 2 APs and having those connected different VLANs? So I can separate my Home Assistant shit from my other devices. Do I need some proprietary ecosystem shit for this? Wouldn't mind going for TP-Link Omada, honestly, the wall mounted APs are perfect.

just trunk the APs with two different VLANs from the router they are presumably connected to? That's what I do, the client VLAN users will connect to from the wireless and the management that gives an address from the router to the AP itself.

>that's what I do
correcting a bit, I don't have multiple APs but just feed/trunk different APs different client VLANs and you should be good

4th panel is realizing you don't need an x86 VPS and moving to a free ARM cloud instance from Oracle
It's like a Pi in the sky but with more RAM

In case anybody else was on the fence: luci-app-attended-sysupgrade works great for upgrading OpenWrt on x86 boxes. Just as seamless as on dedicated wireless routers and APs I've tried.

Have been out of touch for the past few years, what SBC should I buy for a basic home server (kodi, SMB, rsync, torrents) in 2022? Rapsberry 4's are more expensive than when they came out for some reason, I'm not paying that much for a 4 year old shitphone board. No more than 2gb RAM is probably necessary.

Odroid H2+ or M1

Some tinyminimicro might be a good choice. Quick rundown: faster than SBC, almost as low power as SBC, occasionally cheaper than SBC, almost as small as SBC. x86 so you'll be able to run anything.

it's easier to find Pi 400 4GB (the keyboard ones) near MSRP and you get a dedicated keyboard for it. I use my Pi 4 2GB + shit ton of zram (scalpers HATE him) and make do.
kodi as a server is... bad? you're probably thinking of jellyfin or plex which are possible but hardware transcoding is fucked right now. if you run a SMB share off it just make the clients do the work.

>just trunk the APs with two different VLANs from the router they are presumably connected to?
They're supposed to be on the same VLANs, with 2 SSIDs for each VLAN. I'll need some kind of mesh because this shit is going to be in a 4 floor house (blame communism for such autistic designs). Maybe phones and laptops could get a signal with one AP, but I doubt an ESP8266 would.

Attached: ESP-07 RGB controller v1.jpg (1102x1316, 589.91K)

oof that's hot

Attached: file.png (361x233, 179.74K)

exhibit A: canakit.com/raspberry-pi-400.html
and half the price of the smol 4GB